Anyone heard of these DLK?

D

dady24

Saw a pair at a local used cd/record store today. I believe they are monel 4. They are about 4 feet tall with some sort of marble top, very heavy. Has anyone ever heard of these and if you have are they any good.

P

prnewman

Audiophyte
DLK Series 4 Speakers - foam surround replacement

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best way to replace the foam surrounds on my DLK Series 4 speakers. I'm not sure how to remove the woofers to replace the foam, or where the best place is to find a good replacement foam kit for theses speakers.

Anyone familiar with these???

Thanks

Paul

T

TX4709

Audiophyte
DLK 4 Speaker Foam Repair

Yes, after looking for some time myself.
DLK was a speaker manufactured in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area during the mid 70's as a house brand for Schaak Electronics, now out of business. After a couple of phone calls to old friends whom I worked with during the mid-late 70's, for Schaak, I located the following repair company which handles much of the service for the DLK 4 speakers. As for removing the woofers, the circle of black vinyl pulls off the the outer edge of the speaker and then you will find 4 screws. Note, remove the top screw last, the magnets are oversized and rather heavy and could cause the woofer to bend if the bottom screw is removed last. If you have room, lay the speakers down to remove the woofers. Also, be sure to save the liner/gasket between the speaker and the cabinet. Call the company below for the best way to ship the woofers.

Midwest Speaker Repair
297 Snelling Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55104

Hope this helps, I had mine refoamed there.

Last edited:
T

TX4709

Audiophyte
DLK Speakers = House Product Line for Schaak

Think I may be of help here. I'll keep it short. The DLK speaker line was the house speaker of a midwest electronics store chain known as Schaak Electronics, no longer in business. Based in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, they had a number of stores. 25-40-maybe more, don't recall. As I was saying, the DLK Line was the house speaker and while I worked for the company during college in the mid-late 70's, this line was the speaker to have-in the area. The store was a mid range stereo store with the highest audio line handled being the Harmon Kardon product line-while I was there. Back to the speakers, the retail price for the speaker set was $1,200.00. As for the sound quality, that is purely a matter of taste. While I have not been in the industry for 25+ years, I would qualify the speaker as being ok to better in sound quality when driven with a clean power source. At 20 years old-when I bought them, they were a great party speaker and used them as such many-many times. Now, I find then a little flat on the high end and have augmented the sound with a second set of higher end bookshelf speakers which are more solid in the higher end. The nice feature of this speaker is they do not need a power monster to drive them. I have a HK670-bought with the speakers-65 watts per channel. I do know, for a fact, when powered to about 7-8 on the volume dial, no remote here gang, they will rattle the china in the house next door, with the windows closed in both houses, and keep several sororities awake long into the early morning. No longer have the exact specs, 8 ohm, non-descript 4" non-dome tweeter, 5" midrange and 2 active 12" woofers. The system also comes with two, looks like, home grown cross-overs with 2 pods mounted on the front under the foam speaker cover. Max power is about 150 watts a side. Hope this helps. Chuck

foxboy

Audiophyte
DLK speakers

Yes, made in Minneapolis, sold by Schaak Electronics.
I bought 4 DLK4's and I still use them. It's pretty hard to find a sweeter speaker anywhere. I have needed to fix the foam surrounds about every 14 years, but it's a cheap fix. At the time they were the best sounding speaker in Minneapolis, except for maybe the reference Polk line. They are sure worth buying, fixing, and or loving. They have been through a war in my house for 30 years, and I will never part with them. They are right up there with the best, if you have the room for the monsters...I do! I LOVE 'EM!!

M

matthew paul

Audiophyte
Saw a pair at a local used cd/record store today. I believe they are monel 4. They are about 4 feet tall with some sort of marble top, very heavy. Has anyone ever heard of these and if you have are they any good.
Yes they are a jammin speaker system, I my self use to own a pair of DLK 3 they rocked the house back in the day a friend of mine had the same pair only his was polyurethane and mine were paper main drivers. We had both pair hooked up with a pair of Marantz sunken woofer system and a pair of Radio Shack four way speakers all with about anywhere from 125 watt to two hundred watt drivers. Hooked up to a Pioneer SQ 9000 full logic receiver that was before pro logic came out from Dolby systems. So if your going to buy them you can't go wrong with DLK!

F

flamingoSteve

Audiophyte
I would add that Richard Schaak, founder/president of Schaak Electronics, became friends with Byrle Northup, founder/president of CMC Stereo, a similar hi-fi chain of approximately 80 stores in 7 midwestern & southern states. CMC agreed to take on the DLK line as well, dramatically increasing volume & lowering production costs for the two chains. They were the house "push" brand for both chains, with substantial profit margins. Sales personnel were drilled on the "Ten Commandments of DLK", a list of the speakers' selling features. The models built were the Models 1/2, One, 1.5, Two, Three, & Four, with the bulk of the business in the middle of the lineup. Sound quality was better in some models than others, but all had outstanding efficiency, which made them compare favorably in non-adjusted A-B speaker comparisons to uninformed customers. And all models had excellent cabinetry, using heavy-grade fiberboard & real walnut veneers. DLK stood for Donald L Kliewer (sp?), their designer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis