Anyone have Experience of Quantum Fiber Optic Service Combined with Direct TV over Internet?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm looking for an alternative to Comcast. Quantum are offering 940 mbs up and down at a reasonable cost. This can be combined with Direct TV over Internet.
My past experience of Direct TV was not very good.

I'm suspicious because Quantum seems to have morphed out of Century Link, which did not have a good reputation round here. AT & T seem to be involved with the Direct TV end of the bargain. There could be significant savings to be gained, but I don't want to buy a ton of trouble.

Do any members have experience with this, good or bad?

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Reddit threads generally seem to be ok with it. If you can try it out without a contract...

My biggest desire is to be able to have the service bridged to my WAN port on my firewall. ATT couldn't answer that question. I found out what fiber modem they were supplying and hit the vendor documentation and figured it out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow for a second there I thought we had some of that quantum cable nonsense going on like from SR or something :) As far as Century Link goes, they were my previous provider (and only dsl) and they were horrible. Not fond of any of the cable companies and when ATT bought Directv it started devolving, but I had started with a strictly satellite use of D* and then they kept wanting me to use landline services....I cut them loose several years ago.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Wow for a second there I thought we had some of that quantum cable nonsense going on like from SR or something :) As far as Century Link goes, they were my previous provider (and only dsl) and they were horrible. Not fond of any of the cable companies and when ATT bought Directv it started devolving, but I had started with a strictly satellite use of D* and then they kept wanting me to use landline services....I cut them loose several years ago.
I have made the decision to pass on it. Centurylink had a lousy reputation round here, mainly due to prolonged outages.

I was around when Centurylink placed that cables. It was a crude job, and they laid cables without in conduit across driveways, that were later concreted over. Then I find that the bulk of their fiber cable round here is above ground and not buried. It is therefore vulnerable to adverse weather events. Although Quantum have made equipment upgrades, that above ground cable is a point of failure.

In addition since we have an elevator, it is required to have a landline phone. Adding this service would have got the bill up to Comcast levels. This is a somewhat out of date code, as telephone cable is not run to new neighborhoods like this one. So you have to use VOIP anyway.

Since Comcast, I have to say, has given very reliable Internet service, I so no advantage in taking the risk. My biggest issue with Comcast is the reliability of their electronics. I use none of their modems, or routers. I am free of their problems with those. However, in four years I have had four of their TV units fail.

There would also have to be change in cabling in the house. Since everything is in conduit, that would not be a major hassle, it could not see a point in it all.
Lastly my wife was reluctant to learn a new system, but would have if there really was significant benefit.

Dwensonss

Dwensonss

Audiophyte
I'm also on the lookout for alternatives to Comcast. The 940 Mbps speed is impressive, but your concerns about Quantum's origin from Century Link make sense. As for Direct TV, I've had mixed experiences too. The potential savings are tempting, but like you, I don't want to dive into a ton of trouble. Hopefully, someone can share their firsthand experience soon! And by the way, have you heard anything about Quantum AI in your research?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm also on the lookout for alternatives to Comcast. The 940 Mbps speed is impressive, but your concerns about Quantum's origin from Century Link make sense. As for Direct TV, I've had mixed experiences too. The potential savings are tempting, but like you, I don't want to dive into a ton of trouble. Hopefully, someone can share their firsthand experience soon! And by the way, have you heard anything about Quantum AI in your research?
Don't go near that outfit. They continue to have prolonged outages leaving people without service for weeks. If you know what's good for you you won't touch that outfit with a barge pole.

Comcast are not that bad. Their service is very reliable. In four years we have only had one outage that lasted over an hour and actually less than a handful of very brief ones. In the prolonged outage they communicated via text and service was restored a little ahead of their prediction.

Just this week they increased our speeds without upping the price. So I now have 675 Mbps down up from 500 Mbps, and the down has gone up from 10 to 15 Mbps. This confirmed with measurement. Unfortunately here the cable is copper from the fiber backbone and so that is why the upload is slow. They say we will eventually get fiber to the house.

My final comment is that reliability aces speed. Outages are zero speed!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis