Anybody mind critiquing my website?

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Anybody with a few minutes, would you mind looking over the website for my new speakers and let me know what it needs ... what questions you still have after looking at it.

http://www.b-p-t.com/cirrus.html

I know it needs measurements, and I have tons. But Chris (owner of BPT) is of the opinion that we shouldn't post them. We do have a review lined up with Soundstage and the NRC, so any questions would be answered there.

I'd really appreciate any input on the site!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ryan,

The website is fairly easy to navigate. I was surprised that some of the photos that cycle through on the homepage appear to be of used and dirty equipment.

Adam

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Ryan,

The website is fairly easy to navigate. I was surprised that some of the photos that cycle through on the homepage appear to be of used and dirty equipment.

Adam
Thanks Adam, but which image do you mean specifically "used and dirty"?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Ryan,

I took a brief gander at the pic's and noticed that the 'next' tab sometomes takes a while to pop up. It's not letting me do what I want to do when I want to do it! :eek: Another thing with the pic's is that scrolling up and down is not really getting it. I think you might want to get the images to fit on a 4:3 screen too. I know I should get a bigger screen but we're not critiqueing my stuff. :)

For the red chicklet giver,

You see the smile on my monkey's face? You should see the smile he left on your mother. You putz.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Cirrus

I have a Journalism degree but I don’t have a background in website design so my comments are a mix of personal opinion and writing/layout background.

From a visual standpoint, I would add a couple more photos to fill the space on the lower right side of the picture layout. I think it would be more effective not to have the faded out effect on the pictures and show them normally, but I can see where it might get very busy looking. Maybe you should show the overall product shot in the first position always default non-faded and then chage as you scroll over other pictures. Maybe you could have each picture explained if you scroll over it – tell the selling points. For example you could show a picture of the RAAL tweeter, then have your second paragraph linked to it. That could get rid of a lot of the text and leave more room for bigger pictures or other words. I think you need to say the credentials/history of your company and maybe your designer. The blue writing for the email address doesn’t show up well against the maroon background – I would make all that text white. I didn’t see where the price of $2695 is a piece or a pair. Either way, that price puts them into high-end market. I don’t see if you are going to be an internet only distributor or go through retailers. You need to get professional reviews into the website as soon as you can. The introductory discount period is over so why say anything about it? You should look at other speaker company sites to make sure you cover all the bases. Hope this helps.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I think that if you are going to continue to use this site to build your business, you should become a sponsor.

Having said that, the photos don't really appear professional to me. The photo quality is fine but the odd angles and staging of the photos seems a little off to me, esp. the pic with the coil of wire behind the speaker. I also don't care for the faded out aspect of the photos.

One comment on the design, I don't care at all for the caps on the top of the speaker. It would be a deal breaker for me. A recessed, flush mounted cap on top would increase the aesthetics and desirability of the speaker, IMHO.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Adam, but which image do you mean specifically "used and dirty"?
On the homepage:

"Accessories & Mods" - the photo of the black box has what appears to be white markings and smudges on it, perhaps finger prints.

"Power Centers" - the input plug looks like the plastic is scratched, like it had been used a few times.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Another thought - you may want to break the speaker sales into a site that isn't referenced from the BPT homepage. That's just my thinking because I think that power strips and speakers fall into totally different categories.

What caused the red chicklet, was it on this thread?
Yep - my first post here.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Nice navigation --what if I want to buy now?

Spkr-Bldr,

I looked over your website and the navigation is pretty smooth and easy. I do a lot of Internet shopping form a lot of different sites.

The page you link us to to start apparently is not the home page, you cannot select "speaker' from the product pull-down even though it is listed.

You need a "search" to find specific products or type.

I don't know if you are intending on peopel order directly from the web site or not, but your ordering process is not straight forward. i could only find ordering information under contacts and there still wasn't an online order capability.

Make sure your pictures are clean shots and in some cases you almost overwhelm the potential customer with picture.

Very good start!

Just my 2 cents, meant as contructive criticism.

Later,

MidCow2

majorloser

majorloser

I think that if you are going to continue to use this site to build your business, you should become a sponsor.
I agree. The site can always use sponsors. Even if they just donate something for the monthly prize drawings it would be nice. Please feel free to contact Gene DellaSala or Clint DeBoer for sponsorship opportunities.

There are plenty of other members that have businesses in the AV realm that are here for the fun and to possibly help out others. A couple of them have their business website in their signatures. I don't think the admins have a problem with that. Some have even offered to help members with equipment, but it is always taken to side conversations in PM's. It's when businesses try to interject into threads with recomendations for their products or discourage purchase of other manufacturers. There was an issue in the past with a manufacturer's rep derailing threads. But let's not go there :mad:

I really don't see a problem with asking for comments on their products or the content of their website. But I'm not an administrator who need to pay for this site.

As far as the red chicklet issues, eventually we'll find the problem member(s) and deal with it in a deserving manner. Please try not bring threads down with posts about red chicklets. ;) THANKS

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
As far as the red chicklet issues, eventually we'll find the problem member(s) and deal with it in a deserving manner. Please try not bring threads down with posts about red chicklets. ;) THANKS
Thanks, Dave - and my sincere apologies. I only post this one additional comment to make ammends, and to say that the person who did it sent me a PM. Everything is cool. I was more bothered by what appeared to be an attempt to intimidate me (and maybe others) than anything. Now that I know the story, I'm quite relieved.

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Donating stuff for the monthly give-aways woudl be great! I have a few things in mind, maybe even a pair of speakers ... a cheaper pair obviously ;)

I have tried contacting the admins on 3 occasions, but have not heard back. Like I've said before, I've ran HUGE forums myself and it was my job to reply to advertising requests. I know how it goes, PM's are a pain to answer, so they often go unreplied. But like I told people on my sites, if I don't reply, keep harassing me and eventually you'll get a reply. So if an Admin see's this, here's another request ... I'd like to advertise!

Thanks for all the critique guys, some good insight and I appreciate your time to post it here.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Donating stuff for the monthly give-aways woudl be great!
I can help in that department.
So what are you gonna send me? :D

Edit: I just took a look and found this quote:

Our cords improve the sound of any component by producing lower background noise, tighter bass, greater dynamics and finer detail resolution.

That's probably too much to hope for.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Ryan, would you mind sharing which FEM software you used to aid in your speaker design?

Thanks.

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
A lot of good recommendations so far. I have a few

1) I agree, a lot of the photos need to be redone. Some shots of equipment look dirty, scratched, etc.

2) When I click a picture on the page you linked to, which opens a larger view, it completely takes over my screen and its not obvious how to reduce it, close it, or get back to the base page. I am running 1024x768 resolution on this monitor here. A good rule of thumb for web pictures, is keep them below 800 pixels wide for a full view image.

3) the domain name b-p-t.com is an obnoxious domain name. You want to avoid dashes whenever you can. Its fine if there is a link to click on, but try giving out your domain name verbally. You want something easy and clean for people to remember. (I used to support domain name registration for 5 years)

4) didnt get a chance to really navigate around yet.

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Ryan, would you mind sharing which FEM software you used to aid in your speaker design?

Thanks.
I'll ask the guy who did it what program he used ... honestly I have no clue though. Just FYI, the guy who did the modeling has 2 woofer motor patents to his name, and is working with me to develop some pretty unique drivers. That's a nice friend to have!

majorloser

majorloser

Post pictures of one of your speakers in bubinga burl :)

But seriously, I have problems clicking on "SPEAKERS" under the drop down tab for products. It fall behind the scrolling main page. Actually, all of the drop down menus tabs are doing that.

Spkr_Bldr

Spkr_Bldr

Full Audioholic
Post pictures of one of your speakers in bubinga burl :)

But seriously, I have problems clicking on "SPEAKERS" under the drop down tab for products. It fall behind the scrolling main page. Actually, all of the drop down menus tabs are doing that.
Hmm, strange ... what browser and OS are you using?

I'm doing a pair right now with a Redwood Burl baffle and black tinted Wenge on the sides. I have some Bubinga burl in my stack of veneer also, but it's a pretty small lot.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Is there gunked epoxy or something inbetween the speaker face panel and body ... top left on the home page?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis