Any value to Monster or Panamax?

S

sk60

Enthusiast
Is ther any value to a line conditioner like Panamax or a power cleaner like Monster for a home theatre setup? Do I need to spend the $300-700or is the $100 Tripplite/APC surge protection enough? I am currently putting a system together and building a cabinet for it. My system is a Panasonic 50" plasma monitor, Denon 2805 A/V receiver, Sony 400 disc CD changer, Sony DVD/VCR combo and a Cox cable box/DVR. I still need to select speakers. Thanks for the help.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While, I'm not in touch with the science of it, there is a good article on this website that covers some of that. I can say that I was having some ground loop issues between my incoming cable line and my plasma. I ended up routing my cable through my Monster Power Center and it completely eliminated the ground loop and cleaned up the image.

I have heard good things about their power conditioners as well as those from others. Likewise, I have heard bad things about some of the cheaper ones. I'm not sure where the line is drawn, but I'm protecting about $20K in equipment... I'll live with the nicer unit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a Panamax 5100 and it did nothing for ground loop, but the solution only cost me a few dollars (isolation transformer). I got it for a great price and I have piece of mind - I don't care if it improves anything as long as it is well protected. I did notice a definite improvement in video to my surprise though... If your power is already pretty clean and you aren't experiencing brown outs or light dimming activity, I'd say a Tripplite is probably good enough.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Power Conditioning is the removal of EMF or RFI interference on the power line. This can be seen as 'garbage' on the sine wave.

Check out this graphic to see what I mean.

The best 'real world' example of power line noise and how it affects your system would be to plug in your vacuum cleaner and turn it on while you're watching TV. your picture may become snowy or blurry (if watching cable) and you can hear audio issues (popping, static).

Devices with motors are NOTORIOUS for making noise on power lines.

The way Monster (and other products work) is they have the incoming wall AC go through an Isolation Transformer to give the electrical coming into the unit a clean sine wave clear of noise.

Then, each (set, usually) of outlets has their own Isolation Filter, so you wont get noise on the power inside the unit. An Isolation Filter is basically a very scaled down version of an Isolation Transformer.

Monster is running a $50 MIR on the Monster HTS 3500 MKII, which can be had from OneCall for $399 (Link) before rebate, bringing total cost to $349. This is the power center I use and I am very pleased with its performance.

I can say with certainty that there is a difference in Monster's "Stage" ratings. I bought a coax cable amplifier because my apartment receives a weak cable signal, so some digital channels were cutting out. I plugged this amplifier into a Monster HTS200 Stage 1 Power filter (which actually goes over an outlet, it's their smallest offering), thinking it would provide enough protection.

Soon after installing this setup, my wife placed a fan in our living room and turned it on. When she did this, I saw the video signal distort briefly. How could this be?! I have my system plugged into a HTS3500 Stage 3 filter! Oh wait, the cable AMP is on an in-wall stage 1. After running longer coax and plugging the amp into my Stage 3 center, the issue went away.

Every situation is different though. I'd suggest purchasing a moderately priced (and reliable) power filter and giving it a go. If you don't notice a difference, then return it for a cheaper model. :)

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Also, check here if you're interested in either Panamax or Monster, because they have good prices and free shipping on many models. www.powersystemsdirect.com . I've purchased from them a few times and I highly recommend them.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I bought my Panamax 5510 and a couple of inwall panamax units from powersystemsdirect and got good prices with great service. Very happy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis