Any suggestions on Speakers and Receiver Please.

1HappyDiabetic9

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone I am new to this site and love it. Here is my question to you educated audio buffs...

I have a 52 in Samsung LCD LNT5265F that is so sweet but I am not sure what speakers and receiver to hook up to it. I want to go HDMI all the way. I like to watch sports, moives, and listen to Jack Johnson music type stuff.

My room is 20ft by 11ft. And I am looking to spend $2000 on the Receiver and Speakers. Any advice would be very useful for me. Thank you in advance for our posts.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Everyone I am new to this site and love it. Here is my question to you educated audio buffs...

I have a 52 in Samsung LCD LNT5265F that is so sweet but I am not sure what speakers and receiver to hook up to it. I want to go HDMI all the way. I like to watch sports, moives, and listen to Jack Johnson music type stuff.

My room is 20ft by 11ft. And I am looking to spend $2000 on the Receiver and Speakers. Any advice would be very useful for me. Thank you in advance for our posts.
Sure, :D here is mine:

Receiver: Onkyo 605= $400
Speaker System: Definitive Technology BP7006 (L/R) + CLR2300 (C) + ProMonitor 800 (SL/SR) = $1,675
Grand Total = $2,075

Rationale:
Onkyo 605 has 2 HDMI-1.3 inputs + TrueHD + DTS-HD MA + Direct Stereo + more than enough power to handle these Def Tech speakers!

BP7006 (freq resp 29-20,000 Hz +/- 3dB) has 300-watts 8" SuperCube subwoofer, so having two BP7006s will give you Two Subwoofers. These SuperCube subwoofers won't blow away a bigger & more powerful subwoofer from SVS, HSU, or Velodyne, but for your room size, I think this is more than enough bass for music & movies. This is great for Direct Stereo Mode when listening to clean 2-Ch stereo music. By using one amp, you are in effect bi-amping the speakers. Each speaker requires a minimum of only 20 watts to handle the tweeters & midrange/bass drivers because it has a 300-watts built-in subwoofer.

CLR2300 (freq resp 30-20,000 Hz +/- 3dB) has 150-watts 8" subwoofer, which will provide awesome FULL range center channel. This is the most important speaker for movies (50-60% of movie soundtrack is on the center speaker). It also matches the drivers of the BP7006: 1" tweeter & 4-1/2" midrange/upper bass. By using one amp, you are in effect bi-amping the speakers. It also requires only 20 watts ( for tweeter & midrange/upper bass drivers). The Subwoofer is driven by the internal 150-watts amp.

PM800 (overall freq resp 57-20,000 Hz) matches the drivers of the other two speakers: 1" tweeter & 4-1/2" midrange/bass. It also has a 4-1/2" passive Low Frequency Radiator. It requires a minimum of 10-watts.

Just ONE recommendation among a hundred!

Of course, audition your speakers!

You have Ultimate Electronics, Magnolia Home Theater stores, etc. near you?

Good luck!:)

1HappyDiabetic9

Audiophyte
Thank You

Yes I have a Magnolia. Do they have that set up there do you know?

I currently have an ONKYO receiver SR-703 i think and Love them. I stupidly tried the Bose Lifestyle 28 III and I am returning that junk.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I have a Magnolia. Do they have that set up there do you know?

I currently have an ONKYO receiver SR-703 i think and Love them. I stupidly tried the Bose Lifestyle 28 III and I am returning that junk.
Magnolia sells Definitive Technology speakers, but every store will display different models: BP7000, BP7001, BP7002, BP7004, BP7006, CLR3000, CLR2500, CLR2300, etc. You might want to check out different Magnolia HT stores. The only problem with Magnolia is that they won't price match Internet prices, so I would use Magnolia only for auditioning, not for buying.:)
But auditioning is the first step. I don't think they carry Onkyo either.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis