Any knife nuts here?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
As a welder, I come across a variety of steel. One job had me welding lock down flanges on some molds for the plastic industry. It was all O1 tool steel. They threw the drops into a cardboard box, and then into the dumpster. Some upwards of 10" long. I grabbed them up and kept them for a number of years.

When I was a boy, I used to make knives out of old mower blades and what not. Was taught how to do basic heat treating and annealing. How to use files efficiently etc.

Anyway, a couple years ago, I found the steel again when I was cleaning out my shop and decided to make a few.

This one was in essence of my Kershaw Skyline folder.
upload_2017-1-13_5-33-3.png

Here's another. Holds the best edge of almost all the knives I have owned.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Here they are in their sheaths.

And another I made just for the heck of it.

Clad in cherry burl with white liners.

Another sheath to go with it.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
And I have tried all the fancy file work just to say I did it.

It's fun stuff. They are high performance tools.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Every time I see this thread I can't help but thinking about knifes and nuts.........which of course scares me........LOL!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

But I do remember the scene where Crocodile Dundee pulled out his knife. Now that is what I call a knife........LOL!!! That scene was hilarious!

Cheers,

Phil

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I would guess I have about a hundred knives.

I used one professionally for 27 years ... I would tell people "I kill for a living" and although it was only a small part of my day, it was also the truth.

I open storage boxes and find new knives I haven't used since I bought them. That is bad, I know, but I'm OK with it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would guess I have about a hundred knives.

I used one professionally for 27 years ... I would tell people "I kill for a living" and although it was only a small part of my day, it was also the truth.

I open storage boxes and find new knives I haven't used since I bought them. That is bad, I know, but I'm OK with it.
007 or a butcher? (or both??? :eek:)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Last one. This one I made for my girlfriend's father. I made him a strop block as well. It manages to reside with his most prized possessions. My sons will inherit mine.

2 out of 4 of the knives, including this one, have a Scandinavian grind on them. A combined bevel angle of around 22 degrees or, 11 degrees per side. A good chefs knife will typically have a combined secondary bevel angle of about 35 degrees. A 22 degree bevel makes for an extremely sharp edge. This particular grind has no secondary bevel that makes the edge. This particular edge profile would be great for wood processing, serve as a skinning/meat processing knife as well, and is easy to keep a razor sharp edge in the field with minimal fuss.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Last one. This one I made for my girlfriend's father. I made him a strop block as well. It manages to reside with his most prized possessions. My sons will inherit mine.

2 out of 4 of the knives, including this one, have a Scandinavian grind on them. A combined bevel angle of around 22 degrees or, 11 degrees per side. A good chefs knife will typically have a combined secondary bevel angle of about 35 degrees. A 22 degree bevel makes for an extremely sharp edge. This particular grind has no secondary bevel that makes the edge. This particular edge profile would be great for wood processing, serve as a skinning/meat processing knife as well, and is easy to keep a razor sharp edge in the field with minimal fuss.

Is there anything useful that you can't do? After viewing some of the tools I made in metal shop, I almost had to start going to school on the short bus.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Is there anything useful that you can't do? After viewing some of the tools I made in metal shop, I almost had to start going to school on the short bus.
Remember that horrible era, the beginning of globalization, where we started seeing really bad items from Taiwan and Japan? Affordable knives and tools were being made with really low grade stainless steel that would wear a hole in a stone before ever taking an edge. That economy was leading up to the current Walmart, Home Cheapo, Horror Freight etc. That was what corporate America had in store for working folks and it worked. Items that kind of looked like the real thing, but weren't. Buy one drill bit set and get two free! That's where I started making sure I would get the things I need that last.

There's a rather lengthy story that leads to all this, over a conversation I had in a bar in Boulder CO., with one of the wealthiest men in this country at the time right after I turned 21. Had no idea who he was until I saw him again on a magazine cover a short time after. On the surface, the advice I was given would seem rather Ayn Rand-ish, but it's been proven to me many times over, since. It's been confirmed also by the survivors of the Great Depression, the doers, albeit perhaps, worded differently.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Remember that horrible era, the beginning of globalization, where we started seeing really bad items from Taiwan and Japan? Affordable knives and tools were being made with really low grade stainless steel that would wear a hole in a stone before ever taking an edge. That economy was leading up to the current Walmart, Home Cheapo, Horror Freight etc. That was what corporate America had in store for working folks and it worked. Items that kind of looked like the real thing, but weren't. Buy one drill bit set and get two free! That's where I started making sure I would get the things I need that last.

There's a rather lengthy story that leads to all this, over a conversation I had in a bar in Boulder CO., with one of the wealthiest men in this country at the time right after I turned 21. Had no idea who he was until I saw him again on a magazine cover a short time after. On the surface, the advice I was given would seem rather Ayn Rand-ish, but it's been proven to me many times over, since. It's been confirmed also by the survivors of the Great Depression, the doers, albeit perhaps, worded differently.
You mention the advice given to you but cleverly did not pass it along to this sorry desert rat. :D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You mention the advice given to you but cleverly did not pass it along to this sorry desert rat. :D
lol. . .not too many people can live the way I do, at least not intentionally. By today's standards it would seem ridiculously hard headed. There is a rather lengthy story to it on how I ended up learning all of these things and why. It's just not all that interesting.

Besides, you just enrolled yourself in a pair of Salk speakers. You could probably tell me a thing or three. :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just got a smokin deal on a new Spyderco Paramilitary 2 black on black, it's very nice. It's my first knife with CPM S30V blade steel, so I'm excited to see how this compares to my VG-10 steel blades.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a butcher! Where has this thread been hiding?

20170608_084215-1305x734.jpg

From the top:
10" Foreschner breaking knife with a Granton edge
6" (was 6") Foreschner skinning knife
5" Geisser skinning knife
All 3 have Victorinox fibrox handles. Durable and easy to clean. Textured grips too so they don't slide in your hand, which is especially useful on the kill floor. ;)

20170608_084243-1305x734.jpg

My breaking knife is my favorite knife to use. It can effortlessly slice through a whole primal with one knife stroke, cut full cut steaks off of loins and ribeyes, and even do some pretty work with trimming the final product. A very versatile knife. I do a lot of cutting by hand instead of running everything through a saw.

20170608_084451-1305x734.jpg

You can see they've all been used and sharpened a few (one more than a few) times. The breaker is my newest knife (about 2 years old) and the skinners I've had for 25 years or more. The blade in this last pic is still sharp enough to shave with. I sharpen all my own knives on a 3 sided stone (mainly the finest one). I started practicing when I was in my early teens.

I've had many more knives than that, and more variety too. I used to have 6" straight and curved boning knives, an 8" Foreschner with a Granton edge and a lamb skinner too.

I haven't worked in a slaughter house for a couple decades and with meat coming in smaller, boneless primals I found I don't need the boning knives so much any more. Stuff got misplaced and lost with moves and transferring to different stores through my career. I just recently said good bye to the trade after 30 years in the business. It was kinda bittersweet taking pics of these knives.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I love my victorinox fibrox handled knives, I only own three, but I like them a lot. I have the 6" curved boning knife, a 10" slicing knife and their 8" chefs knife. You really can't beat those knives for the money. I know there are much nicer and more expensive kitchen knives out there, and I do own some, but they are one of the best values out there, especially if you get them on sale.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre I already posted earlier about some of my "fancy" knives purchases, one thing I'm very proud if related to butchery is not a knife at all. It's a meat grinder: This one:
https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stainless-Steel-Grinder/dp/B002L830W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496966118&sr=8-2&keywords=lem+meat+grinder+0.25
After $50 off I got at work (good service pat on the back thing) my out of pocket at $132
Best money I ever spent. This thing is a beast. I assume it's a bit underpowered to be used in pro butchery, but otherwise - it's all there. 100% steel, all very heavy and duty :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre I already posted earlier about some of my "fancy" knives purchases, one thing I'm very proud if related to butchery is not a knife at all. It's a meat grinder: This one:
https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stainless-Steel-Grinder/dp/B002L830W4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1496966118&sr=8-2&keywords=lem+meat+grinder+0.25
After $50 off I got at work (good service pat on the back thing) my out of pocket at $132
Best money I ever spent. This thing is a beast. I assume it's a bit underpowered to be used in pro butchery, but otherwise - it's all there. 100% steel, all very heavy and duty :)
It looks very nice. Yes, a bit small, but I'll bet it works great for sausage, grinding roasts and even wild game. All stainless does give it a pro look. Add in the price you paid and that's a nice little unit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks very nice. Yes, a bit small, but I'll bet it works great for sausage, grinding roasts and even wild game. All stainless does give it a pro look. Add in the price you paid and that's a nice little unit.
One spec worth mentioning: Shipping Weight: 33.4 pounds :eek:
From one of the reviewers said: "It ground 12 pounds of beef for me in 5 minutes."
Did I already mentioned heavy duty ? ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One spec worth mentioning: Shipping Weight: 33.4 pounds :eek:
From one of the reviewers said: "It ground 12 pounds of beef for me in 5 minutes."
Did I already mentioned heavy duty ? ;)
The one I had at work, you could crawl inside and hide in it. It'll do a 12 lb chunk of meat in one whole piece! It has a huge hopper with a lid that swings shut. There's a big mixing arm inside that keeps things moving for the first grind and mixes the fat and meat equally for the second grind.

Oh wow, I founds some pics!

s-l500.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l500 (3).jpg

That is the exact model I had in my shop. I could grind about 50 lbs in a minute with that bad boy. Way more than anyone would need for home use. I used that grinder a lot. We had a restaurant next door and he would order 50-60 lbs at a time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis