Any experience with refurb receivers?

C

Crusader

Audiophyte
There are several on line dealers that handle Denon and Marantz refurbished receivers. They are allegedly factory refurbished, have a one-year factory warranty, and offer considerable savings. My only experience with refurb is a Nikon flash (looked and worked as new) and Garmin GPS (ditto), both of which offered an excellent unit and I saved a bunch.

Opinions or experience?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
FWIW I've used a refurbed Onkyo TX-SR707 I picked up from A4L for a couple years without any significant problems to speak of.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I've ad good luck with two Onkyo rceivers (and other refurbs) I've purcased for my sons from Accessories4less, a factory authorized dealer for all their brands, but a lot depends on the luck of the draw.

I've also got burned on a NIB Panasonic Blu-ray player and three (yes, THREE) refurbs that were sent directly from Panasonic.

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
My Onkyo is also a refurb from Accessories4Less.. No problems after a little more than a year

A

Actran

Audioholic
I bought a denon refurb from A4L. It was DoA, but Denon replaced it free of charge.

S

strobeman

Audiophyte
Got a refurb Denon 1712 from Accessories4Less about 3 months ago. So far so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I buy refurbs when I can find them at dealers that I trust and that includes two Onkyo receivers (TX-SR606 and TX-SR707) that I bought from from Accessories For Less in 2009 and 2010 respectively. I would not buy a refurb from just anybody but I've had good luck with A4L.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Always buy manufacturer refurbs...
Had my last one 7yr
They put them through the same tests as new stuff
Best way to get a bargain

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've bought 4 refurb Denon from eCost. All 4 were defective.

I sent a refurb Denon in for repair to the NJ factory once. It cost me $50 shipping. It came back DOA from the NJ factory.

Others have had better luck from A4L. But I would stay away from any other places.

I would buy an open box item from Amazon, Electronics Expo, One Call, etc, and get full new warranty. But personally I would have to stay away from all refurbs.

For example, Amazon was selling the Denon 3312 Open Box for $492. I would call around to other places and see if they have any open box items.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
5 years ago I bought a HK AVR7300 from HK's ebay store. I used it for 4 years and never had a problem.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
I am thinking of going with a refurbished AVR from A4L as well. I don't want to pay for the full price almost $1200 dollars.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Try Amazon Marketplace. You still get the factory warranty.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
No problems in a month or so with my Denon 1712 from A4L

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Try Amazon Marketplace. You still get the factory warranty.
Only if the Marketplace dealer is factory authorized. Neither Denon or Onkyo will honor the warranty if the dealer wasn't factory authorized. A4L is authorized by both for refurbs and receivers come with a 1 year factory warranty.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was tempted to get a factory refurb DHC-80.3 Integra as my dealer is an authorized reseller and they come directly from Integra. The main difference is that they only offer a 2 year warranty vs. 3 year, but cosmetically they are perfect minus the big sticker on the bottom that says refurb. I opted to get new, but the cost difference was substantial. $1800 for a refurb DHC-80.3.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis