any advice on a good projector to buy?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I'm contemplating getting a projector instead of the 75" Samsung I was looking at due to the price tag of $9000. That's kind of steep but I want a large beautiful picture, so I'm thinking maybe a projector is the way to go. What yall think?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I love my projector, but to find you the best one for your needs we'll need a
bit of info.
Will you be using it during the day at all?
Is the room it will be in completely light controlled including dark walls
& ceiling? If not, can it be?
What will you be using it for? Gaming? Movies? TV? 3D? All?
What size screen do you want/have room for?What size is the room (how far from the screen can you place the
projector)

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For Projection you need a good screen and a good projector.

9k get's you a lot unless you need an installer.

My setup is a 100 dollar Favi pull down screen and a 1k projector set on a rear shelf.

With your budget I'd get a Black Diamond screen with a Panasoni PT-AE8000 Projector though I'd also consider a Carada screen if I had solid light control.
[h=1][/h]

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
It's for my living room, the walls are a light brown color, it would be used with some day light, I would like it for all the above, movies, games, 3d. The projector would be sitting on a rear self, about 12-15ft from the screen, is like to get the largest screen possible. Well at the least 75" the room it will be in is 18x20x9. Hope that's enough info. Thanks

Q

Q-StiX

Enthusiast
hello... lol... i feel weird even asking this but my friend seems to think he has a projector thats over 20 years old, its got 3 bulbs and its real big lol... he says he was ''guaranteed'' it was way better than anything out now... is there any truth to that? i dont have any model numbers or anything, but i just basically told him i could probably get 1 online thats alot better for a few hundred... just wondered what others think. thx

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You don't want it. Your friend doesn't want it.

1) That picture is nowhere near hi-def. H-def didn't exist 20years ago. Heck, it's not even near CRT quality.

2) Those tubes wear out and need replacement, particularly in a twenty year-old unit.

3) If he can even find replaement tubes, they will probaby cost near as much as a new, modern big screen Hi Def flat panel TV, not to mention the labor costs involved in installinng them.

4) Did you ever try to move one of those things?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It's for my living room, the walls are a light brown color, it would be used with some day light, I would like it for all the above, movies, games, 3d. The projector would be sitting on a rear self, about 12-15ft from the screen, is like to get the largest screen possible. Well at the least 75" the room it will be in is 18x20x9. Hope that's enough info. Thanks
Daylight can be tricky. I have an Epson and have struggled with daylight viewing until I swapped out my blinds for heavier duty ones and even added a few more. One of things you really need to control is the light on the screen. Even a mild amount of light on the screen can have a huge effect and make the image look washed out. The only surefire way to view during the day, that I've found, is to control the ambient light near or on the screen and/or get a brighter projector. Many higher quality HT projectors 2000 lumens or less will struggle with ambient light, or at least mine does.

Q

Q-StiX

Enthusiast
thats what i was thinking lol... he told me u cant believe what the internet says :)) thanx for the reply.. have a good weekend!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis