Anthem MRX 710 vs Marantz Separates???

Anthem MXR 710 vs Marantz SR7008 (AVR) with a Marantz MM7025 (Stereo Power Amp)?

• Anthem MXR 710

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marantz SR7008 with a Marantz MM7025

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
D

DANIEL WINTERS

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone - I'm a new member looking for some guidance.

Quick Version: Anthem MRX 710 vs Marantz SR7008 (AVR) with a Marantz MM7025 (Stereo Power Amp)?

I'm looking to create a new surround sound setup but one that really focuses on creating the best 2.1 channel listening experience for music.

My Setup:
Fronts = Dynaudio DM 2/6,
Center = Dynaudio DM,
Rears = old Onkyo satallites,
Sub = Polk 110,
TT = Modded Audio Technica LP120 w/Shure M97XE,
Musical Surroundings Phonomena II phono preamp.

For $1799 I can get the Anthem, for $1699 total I can get the Marantz package.

Which would be the better option? Thank you in advance for you help.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I assume you'd be powering the surround sound (other than L-R mains) via the Marantz SR7008 and sending pre-outs from the SR7008 to the MM7025 for both surround sound and 2 channel stereo. This might be the better way to go depending upon future plans. If you like the sound of the 2 channel stereo this way, you could always add more 2 channel or multichannel power amps in the future and eventually move to a Marantz AV8802A pre-amp or similar for top shelf performance in Marantz gear.

If you do enjoy surround sound more, the MXR710 does offer the ARC setup for terrific surround performance. Excellent quality kit there too.

You should be upgrading that sub soon too. It's your weakest spot, IMO.

D

DANIEL WINTERS

Audiophyte
Thanks KenM10759. Your assumption is correct (power the surround with the SR7008, preout to 7025 for the front and left).

I have read raving reviews about the ARC setup system and am tempted by it. Although stereo performance over surround is definitely the goal.

My subs my weakest spot without a doubt. Perhaps I'll start researching options, circle back back and start another thread on that subject ;)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Daniel,

FWIW, I had auditioned an Anthem MXR510 a couple weeks back and that lasted a day. Probably just a fluke thing, but the ARC setup was impossible to get through. Three times I got to the last step, last speaker calibration of the 5 microphone positions and the software crashed. All the time I was doing it, the TV screen was cycling through 15-20 seconds on, 3-5 seconds off. I threw my hands up in surrender and packed it in.

For $699 I got a factory refurbished NAD T758 with full factory warranty and am smitten. Doesn't have the cool ARC system that should work better than the Audessey MultiEQ (not the higher level XT32) setup for surround, but since I'm very 2.1 oriented too it's not a deal-breaker.

This one is plenty powerful and has an (arguably) better quality pre-out section so I can follow an upgrade path. You should audition several and see what you like.

Ken

D

DANIEL WINTERS

Audiophyte
I must admit the more involved ARC setup process does concern but also intrigue me. I see that it will only run on Windows and I'm usually a mac person. If I were to go that way, I'd need to dig up my old PC laptop to get it setup. The Audessey setup may not be as customizable but its simplicity is tempting.

Funny you mention the NAD T758. That was another unit I've been considering next to Marantz and Anthem units mentioned. When you say the NAD has a better quality pre-out section...is that compared to the Anthem or the Marantz or both?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Probably just the Marantz AVR. They've packed a LOT of features into those for that price point, gotta wonder what may have suffered. The Anthem MXR710 seems a LOT more power than what you could use for those speakers, BTW. The MXR510 is more than enough, I assure you, because it's even a little more than my NAD and I'm driving bigger speakers pretty hard at times. (KEF R500/R200C)

Oh yeah, the PC my son was using to try and get the ARC software working was a newer Win10 machine and I later heard that ARC has had some issues running in Win10.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The SR7008 is a much better deal, more powerful, more features, unless you really believe in the Anthem Arc.

D

DANIEL WINTERS

Audiophyte
Thanks PENG. The Anthem is certainly an expensive unit ($100 more than the two Marantz components combined).

I've just read so many glowing reviews about the Anthem delivery of musical detail that its been very tempting.

I chatted to a few dealers today on the phone, half them said go with the Marantz separates (power, flexibility in changing the components in the future) and the other half said undoubtedly Anthem (for its build quality, conservative power ratings and fantastic sonic ability).

This whole home audio/video stuff can get so deliciously confusing :)

D

DANIEL WINTERS

Audiophyte
Probably just the Marantz AVR. They've packed a LOT of features into those for that price point, gotta wonder what may have suffered. The Anthem MXR710 seems a LOT more power than what you could use for those speakers, BTW. The MXR510 is more than enough, I assure you, because it's even a little more than my NAD and I'm driving bigger speakers pretty hard at times. (KEF R500/R200C)

Oh yeah, the PC my son was using to try and get the ARC software working was a newer Win10 machine and I later heard that ARC has had some issues running in Win10.
Hope this is not a dumb question...but is there such a thing more power than needed when it comes amplifying speakers? My 6 ohm Dynaudio fronts are rated at 150 Watts. My logic with the Marantz AVR and Amp combo I would be able to push 140 Watts to the fronts (2 channels @ 8 ohm) which seemed pretty much ideal. The Anthem MRX 710 120 Watts (2 channels @ 8 ohm) but I've read that number is very conservative.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks PENG. The Anthem is certainly an expensive unit ($100 more than the two Marantz components combined).
The 710 is a current model, the Marantz is two models behind the 7009 and 7010. Anthem is not a major player in AVR production and is understandaby behind in offering the latest features so the 7008 overall is still more feature rich. At launch time the SR7008 would likely be as expensive as the MRX-700, but you can now get it for under $1,000 online.

I've just read so many glowing reviews about the Anthem delivery of musical detail that its been very tempting.
They all have their fans, lots of people rave about the Marantz sound, and spread the hearsay about Marantz is for music too, kind of silly talks.:D The fact is, AVRs at that price range playing music in pure direct mode is not going to sound all that different, but any close to inaudible differences would get amplified by the well known Placebo effect that works very well on humans.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7008-av-receiver#aFHXHiqdpQS58LbH.97

http://www.soundstagexperience.com/index.php/wesworld-menu/feature-articles-reviews-menu/496-marantz-sr7008-a-v-receiver-another-winner

I chatted to a few dealers today on the phone, half them said go with the Marantz separates (power, flexibility in changing the components in the future) and the other half said undoubtedly Anthem (for its build quality, conservative power ratings and fantastic sonic ability).

This whole home audio/video stuff can get so deliciously confusing :)
I hear you, been there myself, and now owns multiple amps including Marantz separate (s). Dealers are there to sell, they are truly conditioned to believe in their abilities in hearing different sound qualities of different brands and models. They typically, though not always, will tell potential customers the expensive ones sound much better. After many years, I isten to them on pricing, reliability and other things that are more objective by nature and ignore their comments on sound quality that can be highly subjective and perceptive anyway.

If I had gone with just one good AVR and spent my money and efforts getting the best speakers I could afford, I would have a better system and more money in the bank today. Having said that, I still feel good have different gear to play with, and they are nice to look at too. Incidentally I have Marantz separates + an Anthem amp in my HT set up. They replaced my Denon AV-4308+Anthem amp. There was no difference to me whatsoever in pure direct mode, with or without the help of the Anthem power amp.

IMHO, if you don't need the latest surround modes and video features, all you need is the $899 SR7008. The MM7025 most likely won't add anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR7008-9-2-Channel-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00CS4X8S2

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hope this is not a dumb question...but is there such a thing more power than needed when it comes amplifying speakers? My 6 ohm Dynaudio fronts are rated at 150 Watts. My logic with the Marantz AVR and Amp combo I would be able to push 140 Watts to the fronts (2 channels @ 8 ohm) which seemed pretty much ideal. The Anthem MRX 710 120 Watts (2 channels @ 8 ohm) but I've read that number is very conservative.
The speakers can't use any more power than what you call for by turning up the volume knob. If you have more power available than they can handle its certainly possible to blow them, though it would likely be hard to stay in the room or understand what's coming out of them by the time you got to that point.

Believe me, I can turn my little 60w/channel (all channels driven) receiver up to 0dB on the volume scale for a few seconds at a time but that is REALLY loud. Still sounds clear, but the cats are running away and my wife gets red in the face.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
IMHO, if you don't need the latest surround modes and video features, all you need is the $899 SR7008. The MM7025 most likely won't add anything.
And even less than that from these guys:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7008/marantz-sr7008-9.2-network-home-theater-receiver-airplay-sale-reduced-50/1.html

What PENG says is reasonably true, the most impact will be speakers and yours aren't the best ones offered by Dynaudio. It's a balancing act between speakers that can produce higher quality sound (to YOUR ears) and the equipment which drives them. I'm finding differences in the sound profile of the head end now, but will surely come back to speakers at some point. I'd like to think it's no worse than 50% placebo and 50% reality for me, but I'll give it to PENG on placebo mainly because we all tend to be champions of what we've bought and want it to sound good for the money we spent.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis