Anthem MRX-700 or Yamaha RX-A3010

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm among many who like to hear their music unprocessed. Its personal and subjective and room corrections achieving targetted goals are meaningless.
Me too, but I do think it is possible some room eq system could help certain people/acoustic environments.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm personally fine with Audyssey MultiEQ XT on my 4308Ci and don't worry about it. It does enough stuff right.
Well, that's my point too, I am not sure if that dip at around 2K is a show stopper. May be it is, but the existence of the intentional dip is fact and yes that part/point is valid, the claim that such ill effect on non "crappy" speakers may not be true, or perhaps not entirely true.

I also like Pioneers MCACC and they even have a software tool for connecting PC to receiver and drilling down into it.
Sure, and some people like YPAO too, that sounds like a personal preference, opinion..

I didn't care for HK's EZ EQ. I could never get it to sound right and it was one of a few reasons I got rid of my 3600. That and center channel dialog started to routinely come out of my subwoofers:D

So there you have it I have played with MCACC, Audyssey, and EZ EQ.
You have tried them all, so I value your opinion. I also value other's opinion and will even take those into consideration in my next upgrade, as long as their opinions are based on their personal experience. I only have issues with those who states their opinions as facts and to the point projecting themselves as experts/authorities when I have not seen or heard evidence that they are.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
So you didn't test YPAO or Pioneer's MMAC and yet you are commenting on them about their effectiveness? Nice
I know what they do, and it's not enough to be meaningful. They just don't play in the same space as more sophisticated systems.

Most people have crappy speakers?
I assume so, yes, because most of the loudspeakers sold for consumer audio are crappy. That's just the way it is. A midwoofer with narrowing directivity in the crossover region combined with a tweeter on a 180deg waveguide (i.e. flush on a baffle) is just plain crappy, low-fidelity design. And most speakers sold to consumers are misdesigned like that.

I do support your idea of seeing how well each room correction does in its design out of curiosity. However, there are many other things I hold as more important than room correction in AVR. We had this arguement before nd I'm not going down there again.
You may believe in whatever voodoo you wish, of course. I, however, will hold "belief" for things that are actually unknowable, and simply follow the valid empirical data to answer falsifiable questions such as sonic differences between audio boxes.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Well, that's my point too, I am not sure if that dip at around 2K is a show stopper.
Can you think of any other piece of gear with an intentional nonlinearity smack in the ear's most sensitive region that would be acceptable?

May be it is, but the existence of the intentional dip is fact and yes that part/point is valid, the claim that such ill effect on non "crappy" speakers may not be true, or perhaps not entirely true.
Here are the facts:

1) There has been one published comparison of room correction systems, with blind comparisons and objective data.

2) The RC system with a 2kHz dip (Audyssey) was clearly the least preferred in Dr. Olive's test even on a crappy loudspeaker.

Now, imagine if Dr. Olive, used a speaker that didn't suck, instead of that B&W N802, how much more impact that dip would have had on perception.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought DS posted a link before but I couldn't find it so I googled it.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/entries/410117-midrange-compensation

After reading it, one could (optional:D) go and debate Prof Chris K on the good or bad and the why and how of that "dip" so highly touted here. He's a PhD in his field (EE) and the USC is a reputable university. Yes I am sure he is a busy man but he does answer questions.

C

canelli

Audioholic
“Our findings showed that the dip in the 2 kHz range is desirable regardless of the exact xover frequency of your speaker….
So, we have this implemented in the Audyssey target curve. With MultEQ Pro you can choose to turn it off, but we don't recommend it. This notion was observed 40 years ago by BBC speaker designers in their studio monitors. They designed their speakers with this "BBC dip" intentionally in the speaker response.”

So B&W speakers with a characteristic dip around 2khz are superior by design since they don’t require any 2kHz corrections.;)

The work of Sean Olive, who is specialized (PhD) in the perception and measurement of linear distortion, concluded that the room correction systems that filled in the lower power responses of a test speaker around the 100Hz and 2khz ranges faired better in blind testing.

This might explain why Audyssey with the 2Khz dip faired so poorly when compared to other room correction systems.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So B&W speakers with a characteristic dip around 2khz are superior by design since they don’t require any 2kHz corrections.;)

The work of Sean Olive, who is specialized (PhD) in the perception and measurement of linear distortion, concluded that the room correction systems that filled in the lower power responses of a test speaker around the 100Hz and 2khz ranges faired better in blind testing.

This might explain why Audyssey with the 2Khz dip faired so poorly when compared to other room correction systems.
That is a possibility. We also know there are people from both camps, that is, the love and hate B&W groups. I am from the camp where people generally prefer pure direct, yet reference to live unprocessed, unamplifiered music. Our own hearing curves are also different due to various factors, one being losses but that may or may not matter in an experiment depending on what you ask them to do. Did Dr. Olive screen his carefully choosen audience for hearing losses of any sort? I am not sure about that and that is just one factor that may not even matter. I also think that asking people to tell the difference is one thing while asking them what they prefer is quite another. The one that is preferred by more people does not necessarily mean it is of higher fidelity, but again it depends on how the tests were done. It would be interesting to see the two PhDs in a debate . I intend to write Dr. Olive to find more about that test and hopefully he may respond.

I do feel Audyssey should have included the option to turn that dip off. If they are concerned about people messing with it they could make it default to "On". That being said, I am just not sure how big a deal it really is, and as jinjuku said once, it does enough stuff right. When watching movies in my room, I used it just for bass management, other than that it does not sound better or worse for me with Audyssey on or off.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I know what they do, and it's not enough to be meaningful. They just don't play in the same space as more sophisticated systems.
Please enlighten us.. In other words, prove it. All I see is "I know this" which means absolutely squat at this point.

I assume so, yes, because most of the loudspeakers sold for consumer audio are crappy. That's just the way it is. A midwoofer with narrowing directivity in the crossover region combined with a tweeter on a 180deg waveguide (i.e. flush on a baffle) is just plain crappy, low-fidelity design. And most speakers sold to consumers are misdesigned like that.
Low fidelity because these speakers can generate a flat frequency response across most of the audio frequency except for the deep bass region; Flat frequency across the crucial midrange? Have good off axes dispersion? Sounds like a another personal opinion molded into a fact by your thought process to support your arguments.

You may believe in whatever voodoo you wish, of course. I, however, will hold "belief" for things that are actually unknowable, and simply follow the valid empirical data to answer falsifiable questions such as sonic differences between audio boxes.
I believe what I hear and don't jump on the personal bandwagon that others like to ride on just to be popular. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We also know there are people from both camps, that is, the love and hate B&W groups.
Since, I'm in the "hate B&W" group, what does that mean? :D

Don't tell me I have hearing loss! :eek: :D

it does not sound better or worse for me with Audyssey on or off.
I agree.

I honestly could not tell the difference between Audyssey on and off. So I just turn it off. I'm in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" camp.:D

It appears that professor Chris K believes most people prefer that 2K dip based on his research. But I think I prefer the 2K flat. I think I prefer the 200Hz-10Kz flat, and the 10Kz-20kHz dip. :D

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I honestly could not tell the difference between Audyssey on and off. So I just turn it off. I'm in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" camp
you know, me too. I've owned Yamaha, I had an Anthem MRX300 last year until it broke and I now have a Denon 4311. To be honest I like my music with RC off of course I don't really listen to music on the Denon the wife does. With HT, thanks to room treatments and what I can hear, I can take the RC or leave it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
you know, me too. I've owned Yamaha, I had an Anthem MRX300 last year until it broke and I now have a Denon 4311. To be honest I like my music with RC off of course I don't really listen to music on the Denon the wife does. With HT, thanks to room treatments and what I can hear, I can take the RC or leave it.
And did you compare the ARC to the Audyssey?

To me, everything sounds so freaking awesome without any kind of RC, I just want to enjoy my music and movies, and never even think twice about RC.

To me, nothing sounds better than real life Crystal Clear sound; and you don't need a PhD or be a physicist to know what that sounds like. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
And did you compare the ARC to the Audyssey?
I wish it would have been that simple, the MRX died and let me high and dry so it went back to the dealer. But the wife who has a fantastic memory and recall did not notice any difference in the sound and neither did I after the 4311 was up and running, but I'm only running 5.1 so who knows. It's all about the ears and the brain anyway not a bunch of numbers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wish it would have been that simple, the MRX died and let me high and dry so it went back to the dealer. But the wife who has a fantastic memory and recall did not notice any difference in the sound and neither did I after the 4311 was up and running, but I'm only running 5.1 so who knows. It's all about the ears and the brain anyway not a bunch of numbers.
Yeah, I think it's all the same - only the name has changed..............Sorry, I was thinking Bon Jovi. :eek: :D

I can definitely tell the difference on the crappy HK RC, though. Man, that thing was awful. :eek:

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
That is a possibility. We also know there are people from both camps, that is, the love and hate B&W groups.
I have no opinion specifically towards B&W. I simply dislike all speakers that don't have controlled directivity through the midrange. Objectively, they are low-fidelity devices, but that's less important than the fact that they simply all sound crappy once one is accustomed to higher-fidelity reproduction.

It's something I have shown I can pick out in a blind comparison, too.

I am from the camp where people generally prefer pure direct, yet reference to live unprocessed, unamplifiered music.
Which only means you prefer extremely low fidelity reproduction in the modal region. See the in-room response graphs in Part I here to see how some great speakers with flat and extended bass in anechoic/outdoor settings and some horrible speakers with badly-tuned bass alike simply mangle that region in a real room.

The one that is preferred by more people does not necessarily mean it is of higher fidelity, but again it depends on how the tests were done.
I'm puzzled by the lack of analytical clarity in this comment.

"Fidelity" is determined, ultimately, by measured performance.

Can a "lower fidelity" system end up being subjectively preferred? Don't see why not.

It would be interesting to see the two PhDs in a debate . I intend to write Dr. Olive to find more about that test and hopefully he may respond.
One thing I think most people miss about the comparison is the Dr. Olive used music. Audyssey's research has mostly been about movie sound. Movie sound means spoken dialogue clarity first, every thing else second.

Perhaps one implication is that people who care about music reproduction and don't give a damn about movie sound (me, Prof. Rubinson, Dr. Rich, etc) will then have a different preference than people who focus more on movie sound than music reproduction.

I do feel Audyssey should have included the option to turn that dip off. If they are concerned about people messing with it they could make it default to "On".
I would have a high opinion of Audyssey if that option were included. (Actually I do have a high opinion of Audyssey; it's probably the third-best room correction system offered on an AVR in the past 5 years, after ARC and Trinnov.) It's certainly possible for Audyssey to delete-option the crappy speakers compensate notch: Audyssey Pro obviously domes, and my Alpine PXE-H650 car-fi Audyssey box has it as an option.

Please enlighten us.. In other words, prove it. All I see is "I know this" which means absolutely squat at this point.
YPAO is just a relatively crude parametric EQ. It also doesn't have many bands to work with in the modal region. I'm also not sure if it uses properly spatially-averaged sound power measurements, or if it relies on a single-point measurement; everyone serious about audio reproduction knows or should know that a single-point measurement in the statistical field (i.e. above 150-250Hz in a typical domestic living room) is not reliable. One needs a spatial average to see the true response.

Low fidelity because these speakers can generate a flat frequency response across most of the audio frequency except for the deep bass region; Flat frequency across the crucial midrange? Have good off axes dispersion?***
You're simply wrong on fact. A speaker with wide directivity shifts in the midrange (i.e. narrowing woofer, wide-open tweeter) cannot have flat FR in the midrange, except along a very narrow coverage angle.

Yes, the direct field may in fact be flat, but the reverberent field is loaded with excess midrange energy. For people who listen in anechoic chambers, that's fine. For those of us who prefer to listen in domestic settings, it is not.

Let's look at the horizontal measurements overpriced and crappy-sounding example that's horribly expensive and uses the "best" drivers, the Magico V3.

Now let's look the same at a reasonably-priced high-technology speaker, the KEF Q900.

No, those aren't "perfect" speakers. There is a small ridge of energy. However, it's much higher up in frequency, and also much narrower, than found on lower-fidelity speakers like the Magicos.

Generally, people focus way too much on on-axis response, when it really tells us little about how a speaker will sound in a room. Midrange polars are in my experience the measurement that best correlate with actual sound in a room. Now, that's not to say someone can't prefer a spacer with a low-fidelity polar response. But that person will generally IME prefer all speakers with that response over speakers that throw a different pattern.

I believe what I hear and don't jump on the personal bandwagon that others like to ride on just to be popular. ;)
Yes you do. You follow conventional wisdom, even when it's demonstrably flawed, because you lack the basic courage to deviate from it.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You're simply wrong on fact. A speaker with wide directivity shifts in the midrange (i.e. narrowing woofer, wide-open tweeter) cannot have flat FR in the midrange, except along a very narrow coverage angle.

Yes, the direct field may in fact be flat, but the reverberent field is loaded with excess midrange energy. For people who listen in anechoic chambers, that's fine. For those of us who prefer to listen in domestic settings, it is not.
[/QUOTE]

Top curve: on-axis response
Middle curve: 15 degrees off-axis response
Bottom curve: 30 degrees off-axis response

Top curve: 45 degrees off-axis response
Middle curve: 60 degrees off-axis response
Bottom curve: 75 degrees off-axis response

These measurements looks to me like energy is dropping off in the crucial midrange as you move further off axes as opposed to summing up to produce more energy off axes as you indicate.

Another example of the same design you have been criticizing...

Fig.6 PSB Image T6, lateral response family at 50", normalized to response on midrange axis, from back to front: differences in response 90–5° off axis, reference response, differences in response 5–90° off axis

Last edited:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic

Top curve: on-axis response
Middle curve: 15 degrees off-axis response
Bottom curve: 30 degrees off-axis response

The crossover is just north of 2kHz, right? I can tell by the excess of energy in the on-axis curves there.

Fig.6 PSB Image T6, lateral response family at 50", normalized to response on midrange axis, from back to front: differences in response 90–5° off axis, reference response, differences in response 5–90° off axis
Criticizing with good reason. Look at the mushroom cloud of midrange energy centered around 2kHz.

I wouldn't use those speakers without fairly significant sidewall treatments. Which, since I prefer not to live in a padded cell (yes, I'm stealing AJ's words, but they're perfect), is to say that I wouldn't use them.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I didn't know PSB know how to make crappy sounding speakers, learn something new every day..:D:D:rolleyes:

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
I didn't know PSB know how to make crappy sounding speakers, learn something new every day..:D:D:rolleyes:
I've not heard a PSB in a while, but the ones I have heard (dunno the model name, but it seemed to be a 7" 2-way with a bass bin, all in one box; it may have been their flagship at the time) didn't impress me.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The crossover is just north of 2kHz, right? I can tell by the excess of energy in the on-axis curves there.

Criticizing with good reason. Look at the mushroom cloud of midrange energy centered around 2kHz.

I wouldn't use those speakers without fairly significant sidewall treatments. Which, since I prefer not to live in a padded cell (yes, I'm stealing AJ's words, but they're perfect), is to say that I wouldn't use them.
Same midrange bloom I see in the Kefs. It's clear to me from your miss reading the graphs that your personal biases shine through and you mistake them as facts. I have clearly shown the decrease in midrange energy with my graphs but you choose to ignore the facts. Maybe you are better off in a padded cell then spreading your audio tripe and BS that you so liberally fling at people here on this site.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis