Anthem MRX-700 or Yamaha RX-A3010

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I ran into some bench tests for the Yamaha 2010 and was really surprised at the substantial drop in wattage at 5-7 channels. At 5 ch it dropped to 60 watts....I was thinking somewhere in the 90 range was acceptable but wow that is pretty bad. This is really making me rethink my strategy here and look again at the Anthem, or even going the external amp route. That's pretty shitty if you ask me.
You should read the AH article about all channels driven amp testing - should change your mind about the Yamaha's test:

The All Channels Driven (ACD) Amplifier Test — Reviews and News from Audioholics

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You should read the AH article about all channels driven amp testing - should change your mind about the Yamaha's test:

The All Channels Driven (ACD) Amplifier Test — Reviews and News from Audioholics
All channels test isn't really relevant in real life as no audio soundtrack in a film or multichannel audio such as SACD and DVDA have all channels playing full range at the same time. You'll never see that in operating your receiver with the sole exception of 5 or 7 channel stereo. Even then, the sub woofer would be engaged and all the power sucking bass would be sent to the subwoofer enabling tr Yamaha to drive your 5 or 7 speakers into bleeding ears territory.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I ran into some bench tests for the Yamaha 2010 and was really surprised at the substantial drop in wattage at 5-7 channels. At 5 ch it dropped to 60 watts....I was thinking somewhere in the 90 range was acceptable but wow that is pretty bad. This is really making me rethink my strategy here and look again at the Anthem, or even going the external amp route. That's pretty shitty if you ask me.
Be careful how you interpret those HTM, S&V, HCC bench tests on ACD outputs. Check out the HTM test results on the Denon AVR3805, 3808, 4310, 4311, most of them did better than 100 WPC even with All 7 channel driven. Then take a look of the results for the 43 lbs 4810 that is only one notch below the 5308 you will see that the 4810 actually yielded the lowest ACD outputs, something like 50W for 7 channel but much higher for 5 channels. Why? Who knows, but I guess it has to do mainly with how the manufacturer implement the protective circuit.

I noticed that in recent years, even HK AVRs are getting aggressive on their protective circuit, and would trip at very low output level under the 4 ohm test. I posted link to one of those lab test by S&V before that showed how poorly the HK AVR330 (not 100% sure if I got the model right) did in that test. The Anthem MRX700 did not do too well in HTM's ACD tests either, so the bottom line is, if poor ACD test results bother you, go with the Denon AVR4311 or stick with the Yamaha but add an external amp. To me, the Yamaha RX-V2010 should be able to provide enough power for most media size rooms as long as the speakers are 6 to 8 ohm nominal (dirty word I know..) and has average sensitivities such as >87 dB/m/2.83V.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Everyone,

Thanks again all for the discussion here, it was very informative and really helped me make some decisions, and learn in the meanwhile. You guys are awesome and we appreciate all the info.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
One thought. The difference between the three Anthem receivers is very slight. Yes, a torroidal transformer is a bit more efficient than an EI one, but that's the only real advantage. (A switch-mode PS would be more efficient than either, if well designed.)

Unless you need the HD radio tuner or built-in streaming functions, there's no reason to choose the 700 over the 300. That's why I recently picked up a 300. (A 300 + AppleTV is also a lot cheaper than a 700!) And if the 300 doesn't have enough power, the 700 won't either. In that case, one really needs to look at 200+W/ch amps. Which as a practical matter for use on 15A circuits that also have subs, televisions, and such on them, means class D.

I can't help with the Yamaha, because I didn't see any reason to look at them, personally. It was between Audyssey Pro capable boxes and Anthem boxes for me. The Anthem, being much cheaper and not having any real disadvantages for my needs, won.

I have not tried Anthem's but am happy with Audyssey. It is difficult to compare the two so I guess most people just pick one in blind faith. ***
Having tried both (due to the digital audio board in my old 4308ci/A crapping out), ARC is better if you have good speakers. The reason is the midrange notch Audyssey designs in to compensate for the crappy speakers that most people buy.

If you have crappy speakers (narrowing directivity through the midrange, followed by a bloom of energy where the tweeter comes in) Audyssey may be better, but I wouldn't know because I'd never consider such speakers.

The difference between properly set-up Audyssey Pro with the infernal midrange notch off (one needs Pro to do that) and properly set-up ARC with 0dB room gain is...one would need a blind test to tell. My auditory memory, at least, is inadequate to the task.

Audyssey Pro does give more freedom to edit target curves. With ARC, one can adjust the low-end "room gain" boost, but that's it. FWIW, I found the default setting in my room, 3.94something dB boost, to be subjectively very pleasing. I also like that with ARC one can correct just the modal region (or any point up to 5kHz), and leave everything above that un-EQ'ed.

The other two major differences are at the top end. If your speakers have smoothly declining sound power, the Audyssey curve does very little to them on top anyway. If they are brighter, then Audyssey will tame them better because of its house curve, whereas ARC as configured in their AVR's does nothing above 5kHz. (The Anthem separate pre-pros correct up to 20kHz.)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Having tried both (due to the digital audio board in my old 4308ci/A crapping out), ARC is better if you have good speakers.
You are also comparing two AVRs. It would have been a different comparison if both ARC and Audyssey exist in the same AVR and you can go back and forth by pushing a button or something. Even then, which one you prefer is still a relatively subjective thing. I can tell you my 4308 has the same MultiEQXT that my AV7005 has and I find it impossible to tell people which one would sound better to them. At best such comparison of two different systems and by memory is highly subjective. I am not sure if there is a way to really find out which one works better. If you ask ADTG, he won’t even bother using Room EQ in his room and he has some relatively high end components including some highly regarded speakers.

If you have crappy speakers (narrowing directivity through the midrange, followed by a bloom of energy where the tweeter comes in) Audyssey may be better, but I wouldn't know because I'd never consider such speakers.
I assume you are just expressing your opinion.

The difference between properly set-up Audyssey Pro with the infernal midrange notch off (one needs Pro to do that) and properly set-up ARC with 0dB room gain is...one would need a blind test to tell. My auditory memory, at least, is inadequate to the task.
So it does not mean it will apply to others, may be may be not...:D

The other two major differences are at the top end. If your speakers have smoothly declining sound power, the Audyssey curve does very little to them on top anyway. If they are brighter, then Audyssey will tame them better because of its house curve, whereas ARC as configured in their AVR's does nothing above 5kHz.
Now you are seem to be stating this as fact. Care to cite your reference? If not, I can email Audyssey also to find out but thanks for pointing this out. I am just curious and have no idea whether manipulation in the higher frequency range would translate into audible improvements, or degradation.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
You are also comparing two AVRs.
That's nonsense. The AVR's are interchangeable commodity parts. Both the Denon 3808 (which I plugged into my system after my 4308 crapped its digital board, and for the record I still have both available to me, as the Denon has not sold yet) and Anthem MRX 300 are both competently designed, sonically transparent boxes. (The Denons both have considerably more power, which is why Anthem's propaganda about "beefy amps" or whatever is annoying. But both of them are adequate for most people's SPL needs.)

The only material difference between them is the room correction system.

I can tell you my 4308 has the same MultiEQXT that my AV7005 has and I find it impossible to tell people which one would sound better to them.
No reasonable person would expect a sonic difference between two competently designed boxes with the same room correction system operating and calibrated using the same mike positions.

If you ask ADTG, he won’t even bother using Room EQ in his room and he has some relatively high end components including some highly regarded speakers.
Yes, he does not have crappy speakers, but rather speakers with smooth power response (Orion, KEF, Revel) which means the Audyssey 2kHz notch will hurt his system. ARC may well improve it. Ditto Audyssey Pro.

I assume you are just expressing your opinion.
No, I am stating facts that flow inevitably from the the design choices of the room correction systems. Read Prof. K on the notch, and note that in in one post on the Audyssey FAQ someone asks him about how it would work with horns crossed at 900Hz. He replies "I don't know, didn't test it with such speakers." They seem to only have tested it on speakers with crappy power response (i.e. most "high end" speakers), not on competently designed speakers.

And what you seemed not to understand from my above post is that I contended that, using both systems properly, and using them speakers that have smoothly declining sound power, with the target curves set the same (either turning off the room gain on ARC or curve-drawing the same room gain in Audyssey Pro, and turning off the 2kHz notch in Audyssey Pro), there are not likely to be any material differences between ARC and Audyssey Pro. What differences there are are so minute that one would need a blind listening test to resolve them.

Now, between Audyssey with the infernal midrange notch (remember, one needs Pro to excise the thing) and ARC, at least on non-crappy speakers, the difference is obvious. One doesn't need a blind test to determine whether big frequency response differences right where the ear is most sensitive are audible, after all. I'll pick ARC every time.

Now you are seem to be stating this as fact. Care to cite your reference?
What I write is obviously true to anyone who understands the target curves employed by both systems.

I am just curious and have no idea whether manipulation in the higher frequency range would translate into audible improvements, or degradation.
Again, if your speakers have smoothly declining sound power, there will be little difference.

If your speakers are brighter, Audyssey (Pro or standard) gives you a choice of target curves:
(1) roll of the highs to be more like a speaker with declining sound power (Audyssey standard curve).
(2) keep the highs basically as they are (Flat or Front). Also, in this mode if your speakers have smoothly declining sound power, Audyssey will boost the highs quite a bit.

Whether the difference constitutes improvement is a matter of personal preference.

By contrast, ARC as used in the MRX receivers does nothing (good, bad or indifferent) above 5kHz. So speakers with smoothly declining sound power will sound like it, and speakers that are voiced brighter will sound it.

Audyssey Pro adds to that a draw-your-own curve, though it doesn't have a great deal of precision in reaching it. (I think it's a 6dB window.) ARC lets one adjust the low end to account for natural room gain, but nothing else. The 2009 room correction comparison by Dr. Olive, et al., at Harman, which to date is the only objective and subjective comparative data publicly available on room correction systems (!), showed that listeners rather clearly preferred systems that allowed for natural room gain to be preferred by listeners. Ironically, given that a crappy loudspeaker (B&W N802) was used, the Audyssey 2kHz notch did not seem to help them in the Harman test, as the system adding that notch finished sixth, well below "no room correction used." (I do think Audyssey would've beaten no room correction if their standalone box also had DynamicEQ on board, though.)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's nonsense.
Wow!!

The AVR's are interchangeable commodity parts. Both the Denon 3808 (which I plugged into my system after my 4308 crapped its digital board, and for the record I still have both available to me, as the Denon has not sold yet) and Anthem MRX 300 are both competently designed, sonically transparent boxes. (The Denons both have considerably more power, which is why Anthem's propaganda about "beefy amps" or whatever is annoying. But both of them are adequate for most people's SPL needs.)

The only material difference between them is the room correction system.

No reasonable person would expect a sonic difference between two competently designed boxes with the same room correction system operating and calibrated using the same mike positions.

Yes, he does not have crappy speakers, but rather speakers with smooth power response (Orion, KEF, Revel) which means the Audyssey 2kHz notch will hurt his system. ARC may well improve it. Ditto Audyssey Pro.

No, I am stating facts that flow inevitably from the the design choices of the room correction systems. Read Prof. K on the notch, and note that in in one post on the Audyssey FAQ someone asks him about how it would work with horns crossed at 900Hz. He replies "I don't know, didn't test it with such speakers." They seem to only have tested it on speakers with crappy power response (i.e. most "high end" speakers), not on competently designed speakers.

And what you seemed not to understand from my above post is that I contended that, using both systems properly, and using them speakers that have smoothly declining sound power, with the target curves set the same (either turning off the room gain on ARC or curve-drawing the same room gain in Audyssey Pro, and turning off the 2kHz notch in Audyssey Pro), there are not likely to be any material differences between ARC and Audyssey Pro. What differences there are are so minute that one would need a blind listening test to resolve them.

Now, between Audyssey with the infernal midrange notch (remember, one needs Pro to excise the thing) and ARC, at least on non-crappy speakers, the difference is obvious. One doesn't need a blind test to determine whether big frequency response differences right where the ear is most sensitive are audible, after all. I'll pick ARC every time.

What I write is obviously true to anyone who understands the target curves employed by both systems.

Again, if your speakers have smoothly declining sound power, there will be little difference.

If your speakers are brighter, Audyssey (Pro or standard) gives you a choice of target curves:
(1) roll of the highs to be more like a speaker with declining sound power (Audyssey standard curve).
(2) keep the highs basically as they are (Flat or Front). Also, in this mode if your speakers have smoothly declining sound power, Audyssey will boost the highs quite a bit.

Whether the difference constitutes improvement is a matter of personal preference.

By contrast, ARC as used in the MRX receivers does nothing (good, bad or indifferent) above 5kHz. So speakers with smoothly declining sound power will sound like it, and speakers that are voiced brighter will sound it.

Audyssey Pro adds to that a draw-your-own curve, though it doesn't have a great deal of precision in reaching it. (I think it's a 6dB window.) ARC lets one adjust the low end to account for natural room gain, but nothing else. The 2009 room correction comparison by Dr. Olive, et al., at Harman, which to date is the only objective and subjective comparative data publicly available on room correction systems (!), showed that listeners rather clearly preferred systems that allowed for natural room gain to be preferred by listeners. Ironically, given that a crappy loudspeaker (B&W N802) was used, the Audyssey 2kHz notch did not seem to help them in the Harman test, as the system adding that notch finished sixth, well below "no room correction used." (I do think Audyssey would've beaten no room correction if their standalone box also had DynamicEQ on board, though.)
Let me thank you for taking the time to response to my last post but I don't see any reason to continue this exchange since you seem to confuse your own opinion with facts. I think the OP will do his own research and there are no shortage of public information for both systems especially Audyssey. Just one last note, when I check my setup parameter graphs it does show up to 16K but I will email Audyssey and let prof K tell me whether it will do anything beyond 5K as you seem so sure.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Just one last note, when I check my setup parameter graphs it does show up to 16K but I will email Audyssey and let prof K tell me whether it will do anything beyond 5K as you seem so sure.
Please don't waste his time. He surely has better things to do.

Just look at the published information about their target curve.

It was utter nonsense. Sorry.

"You are also comparing two AVRs."

Really, that kind of tripe really doesn't belong in a reasonable discussion.

There's just no reason to expect any differences between them, except in their signal processing.

Let me thank you for taking the time to response to my last post but I don't see any reason to continue this exchange since you seem to confuse your own opinion with facts.
What "opinions" am I confusing with facts? Do you in fact know the difference between "opinion" and "fact"? HINT: "opinion" and "fact you were not aware of until I wrote it in this thread" are not synonymous terms.

Let me give you a recap of my above post, with the two clearly labeled:

FACT: Of the people who have commented in this thread thus far, I am the only one who has mentioned having actual experience with both Audyssey (XT, not XT32) and ARC.

FACT: The Audyssey target curve has a designed-in notch centered at roughly 2kHz.

FACT: That notch is designed into Audyssey, because, in Prof. K's own words, "In that region the tweeter is at the low end of its range and the midrange at the high end of its range and the directivity of the speaker goes through major changes"

FACT: It is in fact not always the case that loudspeaker "directivity...goes through many changes" in the midrange. One example where it does not hold is mentioned in the question asked by one Jonas Hansen in the Audyssey link above. Another is any loudspeaker that uses a waveguide or other means to match directivity in the crossover region.
OPINION: Competently-designed loudspeakers don't have that narrowing-then-flare mushroom-cloud directivity pattern, because a necessary-but-not-sufficient condition of competent loudspeaker design is consistent midrange directivity. However, pitifully few loudspeakers marketed to consumers are competently designed, so perhaps Audyssey has a point here for most people.

FACT: The only way to get rid the Audyssey midrange notch is to spring for a Pro license ($150 per unit) and Pro calibration kit (IIRC, about $500, but can be used with any Audyssey Pro-enabled component).

FACT: The MultEQ XT target curve provided by Audyssey's standalone equalizer finished last in the Harman room correction preference tests. Worse than no EQ. On a loudspeaker with demonstrated sound power problems. (OPINION: read, an incompetently-designed loudspeaker)

FACT: In addition to removing the midrange notch, Audyssey Pro allows for rough-tolerance (±3dB I believe) curve drawing. That can be used to match the default room gain ARC provides. Alternately, one can set the room gain in ARC to flat.

OPINION: With the notch turned off Audyssey, the room gain curve resolved such that they're using the same target curve, and care taken in measurements, Audyssey Pro and ARC are so similar that one would need a blind test to resolve whatever differences remain. However, if one uses competent loudspeakers to start with, ARC is superior to non-Pro Audyssey, because ARC doesn't proceed from the assumption that one is incapable of picking competent loudspeakers. If one does not use competent loudspeakers to start...well, I don't know why would would start that way in the first place. That's out of my area of expertise.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Peng,

DD is making a valid point about Audysseys 2Khz notch filter. It is an indiscriminate filter aimed at speakers like Polks RTi line because they tend to voice HT Style speakers aggressively in that range.

For a speaker that is designed with a more natural response the notch filter bugs people.

DD is just trying to help and the information is valid.

BTW ARC is actually not ran on the receiver. The correction is done with a honest to goodness mic and done on a computer. Then the filters are loaded and completely end user controlled.

I'm personally fine with Audyssey MultiEQ XT on my 4308Ci and don't worry about it. It does enough stuff right.

I also like Pioneers MCACC and they even have a software tool for connecting PC to receiver and drilling down into it.

I didn't care for HK's EZ EQ. I could never get it to sound right and it was one of a few reasons I got rid of my 3600. That and center channel dialog started to routinely come out of my subwoofers:D

So there you have it I have played with MCACC, Audyssey, and EZ EQ.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Are many folks on here fans of Anthem amps?
From the reviews I've read the Anthem AVR is going to be a cleaner audiophile receiver. It has less bells and whistles to cloud the sound, and their ARC room correction is supposed to be awesome, allowing better detail and refinement. Coming from an audiophile background, the Anthem MRX700 is my first choice for an AVR. Plus they are reportedly to have amazing synergy w/ their own Paradigm speakers. Let me know what you end up with. BTW, their Integrated 225 would be my other choice for a 2 channel music/movie system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"The MRX 700’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 128.6 watts and 1 percent distortion at 160.2 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 164.8 watts and 1 percent distortion at 221.0 watts...THD+N was less than 0.023 percent at 1 kilohertz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –73.01 decibels left to right and –72.06 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 hertz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –104.67 dBrA."

Anthem MRX 700

"The RX-A2000’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 170.5 watts and 1 percent distortion at 189.3 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 236.1 watts and 1 percent distortion at 287.4 watts...THD+N was less than 0.006 percent at 1 kHz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –87.13 dB left to right and –83.44 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –107.68 dBrA."

Yamaha RX-A2000

So I don't see how the Anthem 700 is a "cleaner audiophile receiver" than the Yamaha 3010 if even the Yamaha RX-A2000 outperforms the Anthem MRX-700 in just about every single aspect.

Last edited:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
From the reviews I've read the Anthem AVR is going to be a cleaner audiophile receiver.
Excluding the benefits of ARC, no. It's a commodity part just like any other decent AVR.

One may go so far as to say it's basically a $350-500 AVR with $2000 in room correction...

It has less bells and whistles to cloud the sound,
Less bells and whistles...I guess (though I don't personally find that I missed any "features" going from a Denon 4308 to an Anthem MRX 300; someone with two monitors would likely prefer something with two HDMI outputs though).

But do such features "cloud the sound?" No.

[edit]However, it's worth noting that the Anthem boxes have a feature that could very well lead to better sound: QuickMeasure. It's a useful tool that provides accurate measurements to help in speaker placement, etc., for all channels (hard to do with FuzzMeasure/Omnimic, etc.) without a steep learning curve.

I know of no other AVR, regardless of price, with such a useful feature. If every AVR maker/marketer that sells units with included microphones fails to offer their own variant of QuickMeasure in their next generation products, they're simply negligent.[/edit]

and their ARC room correction is supposed to be awesome, allowing better detail and refinement.
Yes, ARC is the best room correction system in a current-production AVR. That said, Sherwood Newcastle's R-972, a discontinued model, is currently being cleared out for dirt cheap, and its Trinnov room correction is also excellent. I finally broke down and bought one for the nearfield system, so I'll have more to say on the matter on Tuesday or Wednesday...

Plus they are reportedly to have amazing synergy w/ their own Paradigm speakers.
Not really any more than any other commodity part would.

Let me know what you end up with. BTW, their Integrated 225 would be my other choice for a 2 channel music/movie system.
The INT 225 is a cool piece. Reasonably priced and scads of power. But IMO it's a bit large for a 2-channel box. 2-channel is really just for headphones, car audio (debatably), and "lifestyle" background music systems in 2012. I looked at it for my bedroom background system, but it was too large so I ended up buying a smaller form-factor, more "lifestyle" friendly integrated (used Meridian 551).

"The MRX 700’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 128.6 watts and 1 percent distortion at 160.2 watts.
Yeah, they're down in power a little bit for their price-points (immaterially so, for most systems), and I kind of hate how Anthem fanboys talk about them having more apparent power than other boxes despite the measured performance (newsflash: they don't).

Ultimately one buys an Anthem box over the others for the two reasons it's superior to other AVR's: one wants the best room correction system in a current production AVR, and one wants to buy from a "high end" brand that has a civilized notion of after-sales support that the likes of Denon (from personal experience) or Onkyo (by reputation) can't/won't provide.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have to admit that Denon's tech/ customer support is 100% clueless like most companies. :D

I've never experienced with Anthem before. But if their support is "high-end", then it might be worth it.

The one thing that has bothered me regarding Anthem (excluding their $8K pre-pro) is the Crosstalk measurements. I've seen a $300 Onkyo and $500 Sony AVR have better XTalk. Is it because Anthem tries to crank up the amp section a bit to keep up with the competition?

I saw a review of one Cinepro amp. It sure cranks out a lot of power, but then the XTalk was like -53dB @ 1kHz.

So I'm wondering if juicing up the amp section somehow "compromises" the XTalk, which Anthem engineers may be okay with since it's probably inaudible anyway - it just doesn't look pretty on paper - like the $1,000 Yamaha RX-A1010.

"The RX-A1010’s left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 116.9 watts and 1 percent distortion at 133.9 watts. Driven into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1 percent distortion at 150.1 watts and 1 percent distortion at 176.4 watts...THD+N was less than 0.007 percent at 1 kHz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –101.96 dB left to right and –97.36 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –108.80 dBrA."

Yamaha RX-A1010

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
I think the Anthem MRX300 is by far the best pre/pro for $1k, it just happens to have an amp section as well.
I see little reason to buy an MRX700, you'd be better served with a MRX300 and a $1k amp for the L/R or CC if your speakers and room justify it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the Anthem MRX300 is by far the best pre/pro for $1k
Why? Because it has ARC?

The Yamaha RX-A1010 outperforms the MRX300 in every way in terms of electrical measurements.

MRX 300: two channels 8-ohm loads, 1 percent distortion at 116.3 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 1 percent distortion at 165.9 watts...THD+N was less than 0.030 percent at 1 kilohertz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –72.23 decibels left to right and –71.65 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 hertz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –101.03 dBrA.

RX-A1010: two channels driving 8-ohm loads, 1 percent distortion at 133.9 watts. Driven into 4 ohms, 1 percent distortion at 176.4 watts... THD+N was less than 0.007 percent at 1 kHz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –101.96 dB left to right and –97.36 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –108.80 dBrA.

Last edited:
S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Why? Because it has ARC?

The Yamaha RX-A1010 outperforms the MRX300 in every way in terms of electrical measurements.

MRX 300: two channels 8-ohm loads, 1 percent distortion at 116.3 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 1 percent distortion at 165.9 watts...THD+N was less than 0.030 percent at 1 kilohertz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –72.23 decibels left to right and –71.65 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 hertz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –101.03 dBrA.

RX-A1010: two channels driving 8-ohm loads, 1 percent distortion at 133.9 watts. Driven into 4 ohms, 1 percent distortion at 176.4 watts... THD+N was less than 0.007 percent at 1 kHz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –101.96 dB left to right and –97.36 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with “A” weighting was –108.80 dBrA.
Yes, because it has ARC. I'm talking about the best pre/pro under $1k, not as a receiver so the amp sections are meaningless to that point.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I remember reading that the ARC in their MRX line isn't the same as that in the preprocessors. I don't remember the differences, but factor that into the value equation.

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
ive been following the official mrx thread on avs, and i believe there is only 2-3 people that have bought the mrx and didnt like it, and tons of people that have bought it and fell in love. One of the other great things is that each model of mrx comes with arc. So you can get the 700 or the 300 plus amp if needed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis