Anthem MRX 510 locking up

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Just received my "factory refurbished" Anthem 510 today and no more than an hour into using it, it froze. Locked up to the point of having to unplug to power off.

Firmware is updated, anthem and audiolab both helped me trouble shoot to no avail.

Does this sound familiar with anybody?
Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've had bad luck with all the refurbished AVR/ pre-pro I've bought.

I feel your pain.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just received my "factory refurbished" Anthem 510 today and no more than an hour into using it, it froze. Locked up to the point of having to unplug to power off.

Firmware is updated, anthem and audiolab both helped me trouble shoot to no avail.

Thanks!

You have a dud. Send it back!

The trouble is with refurbs, you stand a chance of having a fault that does not show up when the unit is under test. It promptly turns up again as soon as it is in the customer's hands.

Either get your money back or demand another unit. If you send that back and they send it back to you, then far more likely than not history will repeat itself.

I have noted that people who buy low volume higher end processor units get far more trouble than from higher volume sources.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've had bad luck with all the refurbished AVR/ pre-pro I've bought.

I feel your pain.
I know you bought several from "clearance" companies that sell everything from toaster ovens to air cleaners to audio gear and had bad luck and bad Customer Service.
Did you ever try buying one from Accessories4Less?
I have bought over a dozen items from them and not had one problem. However, when I did screw up and thought an AVR was malfunctioning, I was very happy with how easily I got a replacement unit. When the replacement did the same thing as the first, I realized that I was mistaken, I just did not have the settings where they should have been.
So you are 0 for 5?
I am 12 for 12!
That should tell you something!
Companies like Damark and One Call seem to take their defective returns and recycle them by sending them out to the next guy to order that item.
If you are 0 for 5 and these are supposed to be factory refurbished (which is a very important distinction) units, something is wrong when I am 12 for 12 (better than half of these are Denon's like you had problems with).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks!

Where did you get this?
I hope you bought it from Amazon, because their return process is very easy and will cost you nothing (other than your time to repack and drop off at UPS store).
https://www.amazon.com/Refurbished-5-Channel-Receiver-Correction-Manufacturer/dp/B01KKUKAAY

Some places may say you need to take it to a service center as a warranty item, but you should not! If couldn't even make one day of use, I'd consider that DOA and demand a replacement!

Good Luck!

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Where did you get this?
I hope you bought it from Amazon, because their return process is very easy and will cost you nothing (other than your time to repack and drop off at UPS store).
https://www.amazon.com/Refurbished-5-Channel-Receiver-Correction-Manufacturer/dp/B01KKUKAAY

Some places may say you need to take it to a service center as a warranty item, but you should not! If couldn't even make one day of use, I'd consider that DOA and demand a replacement!

Good Luck!
Hi! I got it from Audiolab, a Authorized Anthem dealer. They have been awesome. And I just got done re-packing it to ship back.

Lauren, their customer service gal said as soon as she sees a tracking number she will 2 day air me a new one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know you bought several from "clearance" companies that sell everything from toaster ovens to air cleaners to audio gear and had bad luck and bad Customer Service.
Did you ever try buying one from Accessories4Less?
I have bought over a dozen items from them and not had one problem. However, when I did screw up and thought an AVR was malfunctioning, I was very happy with how easily I got a replacement unit. When the replacement did the same thing as the first, I realized that I was mistaken, I just did not have the settings where they should have been.
So you are 0 for 5?
I am 12 for 12!
That should tell you something!
Companies like Damark and One Call seem to take their defective returns and recycle them by sending them out to the next guy to order that item.
If you are 0 for 5 and these are supposed to be factory refurbished (which is a very important distinction) units, something is wrong when I am 12 for 12 (better than half of these are Denon's like you had problems with).
I didn't buy from A4L. But I won't buy a refurbished from them just to prove anything either.

In general, I still recommend people buying new, instead of refurbished.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't buy from A4L. But I won't buy a refurbished from them just to prove anything either.
So we can't count on you using reclaimed rain water? :p
I still recommend people buying new, instead of refurbished.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi! I got it from Audiolab, a Authorized Anthem dealer. They have been awesome. And I just got done re-packing it to ship back.

Lauren, their customer service gal said as soon as she sees a tracking number she will 2 day air me a new one.

Good! That is a relief.

As TLSGuy said, anytime you buy a refurb, you are adding some risk of a poor diagnosis at the factory. However, that is what the discount is about. You can also argue that if the original product made it to production with a flaw (such as a component with poor QC resulting in a 5% failure rate), after that flaw was discovered, and component resourced, your chance of getting a bad unit are decreased.

As I have said, my experience with A4L buying Denon and Marantz products has been excellent! I think Marantz and Denon (who are kind of the same company, and may even share rework facilities) have a pretty good test protocol for their returns.

But ultimately, it appears you bought from a legitimate audio distributor who believes customer service matters. Good for you!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

In general, I still recommend people buying new, instead of refurbished.
I don't expect you to ever again buy refurbs given the abysmal history you have had with them.
However, it is important to specify what companies you bought from, because that is a big factor, and you should be as willing to call them out as you are to complain about refurbs!
As I recall, they were not very responsive in handling your situation.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't expect you to ever again buy refurbs given the abysmal history you have had with them.
However, it is important to specify what companies you bought from, because that is a big factor, and you should be as willing to call them out as you are to complain about refurbs!
As I recall, they were not very responsive in handling your situation.
Yeah, they sucked. I can't even recall the name of that company. I think Dakmart was one of them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis