Another tough room, help!

P

project86

Audioholic
There seems to be a lot of these types of threads around here. Obviously whoever is building these houses doesn't have their priorities straight.

Anyways, here's the dilemma.

Wacky shaped living room, which turns into a dining room, which turns into a kitchen. Vaulted angled ceiling that hits at least 14' high in the center. And to top it off, the "walls" don't completely go all the way up... hard to explain. Basically it is seperated from the other living room area by a 9 foot wall... but the vaulted ceiling is much higher than that... so there is an opening up there where you can put flowers and stuff. The opening is fairly substantial, to the point where the ceiling fan in the one room will cool you down from the other side of the wall. Sound also travels very easily between them. I've attached a very poorly done picture which allaws you to get the general idea.

Not looking for anything amazing, just an added sense of realism for surround effects. Currently running 2 mains and a sub. Will be adding the surrounds and center. Want to go as CHEAP as possible.

The biggest problem is the surrounds. I will probably just run 5.1, but you'll see the issue on the picture: when seated on the main couch, there is a wall on your immediate left. On your right, there is no wall for 15+ feet.

Because the left surround speaker has to be up against the wall, rear ported speakers won't really work. I was thinking of mounting something low, like around ear level, just peeking over the couch corner. Then I could use a small speaker stand for the right surround speaker, sitting on the end table, and raising it around 12" to match the left speaker. Or would it be better to mount them both on the wall, up a few feet? Or could I mount them both to the wall directly behind the couch (where the 2 rears would go if I was doing 7.1)?

Again, I'm not looking to make this an amazing setup by any means. I have a dedicated 2 channel setup in another room with some high end stuff. This is just for family entertainment, nothing serious.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Hey project86.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you're looking for...general feedback, or suggestions on: equipment, placement, room treatment, etc.

Your drawing is pretty good.

If it's as open as you write, you need not worry about reflections (other than possibly first reflection behind the couch). However, the openness may "suck" a lot of the sound right out of there, so you may need a little more power than initially anticipated...family ht or not. The general layout looks about right, but you may want to reconsider fixating on "hiding" the sub under that table. There may be better placement of it, and you would be well-advised to remain receptive to that. Otherwise, you seem on the right path. If you're looking for equipment suggestions, you may want to post a dollar amount, as well as the existing equipment for a proper match up, or you'll receive suggestions all over the map. Good luck.

P

project86

Audioholic
Thanks for the quick reply. I should have been more clear, but I'm looking for help with the rear speaker placement. In retrospect, I posted way too much info.

Eventually the sub will be moved to the front left corner, when I get a new TV. Right now there is no room up there with the big entertainment center, although that is not accurately reflected in the drawing.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
You're welcome.

As you're lining all your ducks up in a row (in a straight line on the couch), the surrounds will probably be best placed slightly behind the lateral position, whether on stands or the wall. That's something to toy with when the system is all in place (and all the listeners are lined up on the couch) for maximum audible effect.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Piss easy mate. Divide one half of the room with a plasterboard wall, easy to do so get a mate get some timbre plasterboard lots of screws and place a new door in the middle.

I can see bass and the right channel sounding darn right dreadful as the left is near to wall boundary and the right, the right is far from being near to one!

So break out the tools get down to the DIY store and do it right, well at least you’d have the room looking different from the kiss of death L shaped design.:)

Once you’ve done that, place the front loudspeakers and TV monitor down to the right hand side of the room away from the door that is placed to the left hand side! Or is that a window, never mind place it down the left hand side!!

Then get some new loudspeakers for the surrounds and place them in group configuration along the sidewalls and rear wall as that is a large room and you need true surround placement not some lemon mate.

Now I see you have a dinning table well home cinema is the word today if you what to wine and dine pop on over to Buckingham palace for dinner, most people today eat in the kitchen or near the pc.

Mate if you what good sound ditch the table ditch anything that is going to mess the sound up big time! Unless you what half descent sound but half isn’t good enough, only best well do!:p

Last edited:
P

project86

Audioholic
Adding a partition is certainly not an option. Moving the table, also not an option. Everything has to stay where it is. I already have a dedicated 2 channel room that the wife puts up with, that's all I can get away with!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Adding a partition is certainly not an option. Moving the table, also not an option. Everything has to stay where it is. I already have a dedicated 2 channel room that the wife puts up with, that's all I can get away with!
I would place two dipoles on that back wall, angled downward some, toward that seating area by that wall. You don't have much of a choice. The side walls are out as on the right it is just too far away.

P

project86

Audioholic
Dipoles would be great, but they are never cheap. How bad would it be to just have 2 bookshelf speakers flat against the wall facing inwards towards each other (and maybe down a little), at each end of the couch?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Dipoles would be great, but they are never cheap. How bad would it be to just have 2 bookshelf speakers flat against the wall facing inwards towards each other (and maybe down a little), at each end of the couch?
It should be just fine project86. You are on a budget, and dealing within the existing constraints of an imperfect home "theater". Placing some decent bookshelves on the back wall above your head should be fine. Remember, the surround channel is "just" effects. No dialoque (to speak of), rarely any music...effects. And you do not want the surrounds to be localizable. Play with their placement a liitle to acheive the best position.

If you remain skeptical, you may want to persuse this guide quickly:
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/speaker-setup-guidelines/home-theater-speaker-layout-an-essential-guide
Cheers.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
There is a third option and it takes skill, when I worked for UCI cinemas many years ago all the surround loudspeakers where fitted to the ceiling which where slightly spaced outwards from the left and right fronts.

This worked very well for Dolby stereo at the time long before CDS came into the cinema which was the first optical digital format.

Get around six smaller type loudspeakers JBL control 1 are a fine choice, easy to install, and if you fit cable ducting to the ceiling to hide the cables it would neat and tidy.

Films that worked very effectively with this configuration where,
Born of the Fourth of July Dolby SR
Always Dolby A
Backdraft Dolby A
Alien 3 Dolby SR
Tango & Cash Dolby A
DIE HARD 2 Dolby SR
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Dolby SR

That’s just a few examples I also have fitted JBL control 1 to the ceiling which is still in the process of installation easy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis