Another speaker layout thread (pics)

C

cavingman

Enthusiast
So this is my first attempt at creating a decent surround setup. It's the first non-apartment i've lived in in a long time, so im taking my time with the basement. You can see in the first picture how far i've gottten, but now im to mounting the speakers. I REALLY want to run all the wires behind the walls. Not a big deal for me to do, just unsure of how to do it in the last pic...

I know where the front 3 are going, just giving a reference for the room size...

This would be the right surround. I tried to take the pictures by standing where i think the center of our sectional will be, aka "center" of the room. This one I also kind of know where it will be going...

And now this guy is the one racking my brain. Do I mount it on the post? if so, how do I run the wire? Do I mount it on the far wall next to the switch panel? I think it would look fugly there. Any ideas?

another couple of reference shots...

Last question is, does anyone have an opinion on decent wall mounts that aren't completely ridiculous in price?
Also, when running the wires through the wall, do you tend to use a wall plate to help keep the look clean? I saw a 5.1 wall plate at lowes for $20 or so and though it might help with the cleanliness. If I used that I would have to have a wall plate behind each speaker, think it might look funny...

thanks in advance :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hello cavingman. Nice room.

Ok, first of all, I am the farthest thing from a CI you can imagine. Take with salt.

The layout is everything. Yeah, you know that already. So... I would finalize your seating postion before continuing. In a closed rectangular room, 38% distance from the front or back wall is recommended. Since this is not totally symmetrical, it may or may not be less accurate, but Id imagine its still a good number to try out. Or what I really mean to say is that I wouldn't aim for 50% distance. Now, this is the audio-first point of view.

Video first, you can go by desired viewing angle. Have you seen the calculator I've linked countless times here? Now, it is a reference, but personal preference is everything.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

One of our local CI experts here has stated that he often just has the wire sticking out of the walls. He says it common. I suppose this "ugliness" might be easier to remove than an actual plate, if you ever changed the setup.

Regarding speaker placements, try to get both equal distances and equal angles. So, the colummn I suppose looks better from what I can tell, but I have no advice for you on running the wire.

You should also realize that the right surround, or in fact just the right of the soundstage, might sound stronger or heavier. Because of the reflections from the closer wall may reinforce volume. Treatments can ameliorate that for sure. I know firsthand. ;)

For the surrounds, typically 90 to 110 degrees is recommended. Some really believe in 90, especially if you are going to run rear speakers as well. Good luck.

C

cavingman

Enthusiast
nice, thanks fellas. got it all up and mounted, works really well!
receiver is taking a dump now though. :( lots of interference on the video from my xbox and wii, but not the cable box. gonna call onkyo soon and get it sorted out...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis