Another speaker cable question thread

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ok well as some of you know I've switched to Mono 12 gauge bi-wire thats not terminated just went bare wire and as im sure you know that was a pretty difficult task connecting it to the back of my receiver and it makes me a little nervous as far as it staying connected even though I did a pretty good job. So I was thinking of switching to maybe Blue Jeans 10 awg 5t00up thats not bi-wired and going with either banana to banana or banana to spades. My question is do you think i'll loose any noticeable sound quality by not bi-wiring and using spades or banana plugs instead of bare wires. I just think i'd feel better knowing everythings a little more secure. But Would like your opinions. Thanks in advance.:) P.s I know some of you guys have already told me that theres isnt much difference between bi-wiring and not so I guess my question is more so directed towards banana plugs and spaids versus bare wire connections

Last edited:
M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
There will be no difference in sound quality between banana plugs, spades, or bare wire but terminating the ends of the speaker wire make it more convenient to connect and disconnect and will eliminate the chance of bare wire touching the receiver or each other and causing a short.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Ok well as some of you know I've switched to Mono 12 gauge bi-wire thats not terminated just went bare wire and as im sure you know that was a pretty difficult task connecting it to the back of my receiver and it makes me a little nervous as far as it staying connected even though I did a pretty good job. So I was thinking of switching to maybe Blue Jeans 10 awg 5t00up thats not bi-wired and going with either banana to banana or banana to spades. My question is do you think i'll loose any noticeable sound quality by not bi-wiring and using spades or banana plugs instead of bare wires. I just think i'd feel better knowing everythings a little more secure. But Would like your opinions. Thanks in advance.:) P.s I know some of you guys have already told me that theres isnt much difference between bi-wiring and not so I guess my question is more so directed towards banana plus and spaids versus bare wire connections
There really isnt any sound difference between terminated and bare wire. Like mentioned in the previous thread, bananas are nice for the ease of use. I think after your recent reciever change you can appreciate what I meant when I said the wires are a PITA to do more than once. And that's a pain too. Banana plugs just push right in and pull right out.

As for locking or non-locking, I prefer the non-locking ones. Other members prefer the locking ones. It's a personal preference thing that can be influenced by your needs. (I don't have pets or kids or others who might inadvertantly pull my cables out. Nor have I ever had one fall out due to using a poor connector - yet)

Jack

TheFactor

TheFactor

There will be no difference in sound quality between banana plugs, spades, or bare wire but terminating the ends of the speaker wire make it more convenient to connect and disconnect and will eliminate the chance of bare wire touching the receiver or each other and causing a short.
Thankyou for your input :)

TheFactor

TheFactor

There really isnt any sound difference between terminated and bare wire. Like mentioned in the previous thread, bananas are nice for the ease of use. I think after your recent reciever change you can appreciate what I meant when I said the wires are a PITA to do more than once. And that's a pain too. Banana plugs just push right in and pull right out.

As for locking or non-locking, I prefer the non-locking ones. Other members prefer the locking ones. It's a personal preference thing that can be influenced by your needs. (I don't have pets or kids or others who might inadvertantly pull my cables out. Nor have I ever had one fall out due to using a poor connector - yet)

Jack
Thanks and yes I can definitely comprehend how difficult it is, my finger tips are still sore lol and I think my batteries are going dead in my flash light from constantly sqeezing behind my audio rack to make sure my wires are secure and theres no stray wires. I should of listened to you before but sometimes I can be set in my ways and even when I get sound advice I have to find out the hard way. I think I might just go banana plugs to banana because I heard that the spades can come loose to sometimes and my center channel being the cc690 is pretty heavy and awkward to be sliding off my glass shelf that only has about a inch clearence on the top to have access to the back to make sure its stays connected. Fortunately the wire connections on my speakers are very secure , Paradigm appears to have some really nice wire posts with big holes for heavy gauge wires. I think Blue jeans cables only has locking banana plugs now on there already terminated wires and I definatelty dont want to do it my self because IF I see another bare wire I think I'll go crazy lol .

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I use banana plugs for ease, even though they have no affect on my SQ in any way.

TheFactor

TheFactor

I use banana plugs for ease, even though they have no affect on my SQ in any way.
Im really looking forward to the change for the convenience and piece of mind knowing there secured well with no stray wires on the receiver end.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

The other reason I don't use locking banana plugs is I like to put colored heat shrink over the entire body of the banana plug, just leaving the tips (the part that plugs in) exposed. I use red for the red cable and black for the black. It makes it very easy to see which plug goes where and eliminates the possibililty of them ever shorting on each other if I somehow drop something behind my avr and onto them.

Jack

Last edited:
TheFactor

TheFactor

The other reason I don't use locking banana plugs is I like to put colored heat shrink over the entire body of the banana plug, just leaving the tips (the part that plugs in) exposed. I use red for the red cable and black for the black. It makes it very easy to see which plug goes where and eliminates the possibililty of them ever shorting on each other if I somehow drop something behind my avr and onto them.

Jack
Thats a good idea, not only does it look good but I understand why you would prefer non locking ones now . Guess its pretty hard to put heat shrink on them.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief

Jack
How much do you want for the cables?! I'm so jaleous! lol

itschris

itschris

Jack

That's a slick look. I just finished my cables a few days ago. I never thought of wrapping the actual plug though. Makes sense on the shorting thing plus it looks good too. I used locking plugs on the speaker side and standard on the amp side. No reason other than I thought the locking plugs looked a bit better.

I used wallplates on both walls for where the surrounds are and back on the equipment side as well. I used bare wire on the inside the wall connection and already experienced a short from one single strand touching the other terminal. I think I'm going to put either spades or banannas on the backside connection of the wall plate as well.

TheFactor

TheFactor

That's a slick look. I just finished my cables a few days ago. I never thought of wrapping the actual plug though. Makes sense on the shorting thing plus it looks good too. I used locking plugs on the speaker side and standard on the amp side. No reason other than I thought the locking plugs looked a bit better.

I used wallplates on both walls for where the surrounds are and back on the equipment side as well. I used bare wire on the inside the wall connection and already experienced a short from one single strand touching the other terminal. I think I'm going to put either spades or banannas on the backside connection of the wall plate as well.
Glad you got lucky and didnt get any serious damage .

TheFactor

TheFactor

Well just ordered some Blue Jeans 5T00up 10awg banana to banana. I didnt realize it but there only located about 3 hours from me. Anyway thanks everyone for all the input and see I did take the advise this time :D

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

... Guess its pretty hard to put heat shrink on them.
No, not really, though I have a heat gun, I was too lazy to go get it, I did those with a lighter. I just cut a piece of 3:1 heat shrink tubing and held it even with the bulbous part of the banana plug. Then I held it next to the lighter, not over, as I didn't want black soot marks (I was too lazy to get my nice $60 heat gun from the storage room). voil-la, done. The rest is the heavy duty nylon wire wrap with a patterned section placed over that. (I liked how it made the cable look fat) (the cable is BJC white 12ga).

Jack

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I should of listened to you before but sometimes I can be set in my ways, and even when I get sound advice I have to find out the hard way.
Are you related to my wife, by any chance?:D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I have non-locking heat-shrinked (one covered in red, one black) bananas on my cables. I like it because it tidies things up and makes reconnecting easier. I've never had an issue with any falling out either.

TheFactor

TheFactor

No, not really, though I have a heat gun, I was too lazy to go get it, I did those with a lighter. I just cut a piece of 3:1 heat shrink tubing and held it even with the bulbous part of the banana plug. Then I held it next to the lighter, not over, as I didn't want black soot marks (I was too lazy to get my nice $60 heat gun from the storage room). voil-la, done. The rest is the heavy duty nylon wire wrap with a patterned section placed over that. (I liked how it made the cable look fat) (the cable is BJC white 12ga).

Jack
Thats a good idea and looks classy, was wondering though because I think I ended up with locking banana plugs because I beleive thats all they put on there terminated wires now. Can I Still heat shrink locking ones ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis