Another noob looking for budget system recommendations

HushH

HushH

Audiophyte
Hi everyone. Yet another new guy here who's just getting into home audio looking for input on a budget system. I know you guys get this question a lot and appreciate you taking the time to answer.

So for my birthday I've told the wife I'd like to get some sort of home audio system. This will be used for a close to 50/50 split between music and movies. Right now we just have our TV speakers, so anything should be a significant upgrade. What I'm hoping to get is the best sound for the money. Max budget is $500 and the more I can stay under that the better.

I've been doing some research and have come to the point of research overload. There are so many options and different ways to go about this, but I'm primarily having trouble deciding between a decent set of bookshelf speakers and a sub or going with a little better on the bookshelf speakers now and hopefully adding a sub down the line. Of course the more spent on speakers means less for AVR and vice versa. I'm also curious as to whether some of these options will work better together or if there are other options I should consider as well (I hope not, I'm overwhelmed already).

One last note, I know sound is a very personal thing so the ability to audition would be nice. I tend to prefer a neutral to slightly warm sound if that helps any.

Please let me know your thoughts/recommendations on these options I am considering and how you might pair these:

Options
Pioneer SP-BS-22 (low WAF due to looks) - $130
Sony Core - $150
+
Dayton Audio Sub-1200 - $110

Or

Polk Audio RTi6 - $210
EMPTek e5bi - $225
Ascend Acoustics HTM-200SE - $300
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 - $350

Receivers (from AC4L):
Denon AVR-1513 - $130
Denon AVR-E200 - $130
Denon AVR-E300 - $190
Denon AVR-S500BT - $190
Denon AVR-1613 - $200
Denon AVR-X1000 - $220

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Sony Core speaker is a good speaker for the price - and I do like them
and prefer them over Pioneer and Polk - they have nice detail, and are not
bright - they do not have a treble boost like Pionner and the likes of Polk.
After 1 khz they will have a gentle down-ward slope.

They do measure nice for the price - and my favorite under $200. That is a
real good price at Best Buy

However, for your budget - I would get the best bookshelf you can afford -
and save for a better subwoofer.

Your call

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you hold out until next week, the BS22s will likely be dirt cheap. So cheap that WAF is almost irrelevant.

The RTIa3 and RTiA6 are not terrible speakers to be honest, though I am not a Polk fan either. I'd choose the BSS22s over them, though the looks are definitely superior on the Polks. The Polks are not a very warm speaker. Some have said the BS22s have a bump at the top, which I did hear in mine, but the mid to upper midrange is fairly warm sounding.

I agree that at this price point, you'll get more bang for your buck putting more of those funds toward a better speaker and saving for a better sub. Not that the 1200 is bad, but if it means compromising on better speakers, I'd get better speakers.

HushH

HushH

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. So if I do hold off on the sub, does it make sense to look for fronts with better bass response? I noticed the frequency range on the 10.1 seemed to dip a bit lower than the EMPTeks or the Ascends. Is it enough to even be noticeable?

And is there much difference in the quality of the receivers I have listed? Any issues with these being able to drive these speakers or a better sub?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys. So if I do hold off on the sub, does it make sense to look for fronts with better bass response? I noticed the frequency range on the 10.1 seemed to dip a bit lower than the EMPTeks or the Ascends. Is it enough to even be noticeable?
Yes, you should notice the difference - they were measured to have nice bass.

If no sub for a while - then I would want the bass.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If I recall, I've only heard the 9.1s and I actually really liked them, so I'd say safe bet. Neutral to warm sounding and good bass when I heard those.

The Ascends CMT/CBM/HTM are very good. To me they are just slightly brighter than neutral with very good detail, but fans of warmer speakers might find them a bit flat.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Deja vu!

I just put together a system for my girlfriend using Pioneer BS-22's and the Dayton Audio Sub-1200.

I was planning to use the A4L AVR-1513 @ $130, but as I was setting it up in my home to check everything out, I first hooked it to my AVR-1712 and ran Audyssey MultEQ XT with Dynamic EQ on and Dynamic volume off. I was amazed at how Audyssey improved these already good speakers!
I had to test it, so hooked my Paradigm S-2's back up without running MultiEQ XT again or any other changes in the settings. They did not sound good. For this reason, I think it is MultiEQ XT and not Dynamic EQ that made the improvement, though I really like Dynamic EQ.
While I really don't like the notion of using Audyssey to compensate for speakers, I think it was the best use of an additional $100 I could invest in the system. The AVR-1712 is no longer made, but the X1000 provides the same Audyssey capabilities and powers a pair of BS-22 quite easily.
My experience would suggest Audyssey is better justified with less expensive speakers - I never noticed that dramatic of a difference with the several $1000/pr and over speakers I have tried Audyssey with!

Full disclosure, I used 2 SUB-1200 in her system because she only had two spots a sub would fit and I did not want to risk that neither of them would be an acceptable spot for a single sub. But that is not really relevant to what I say above. I am not talking about the bass and how well it integrated, I am talking about the SQ of the BS-22's after Audyssey.

I am very happy with the end result. She is too, but she had an Insignia soundbar, so that goes without saying.

Last edited:
HushH

HushH

Audiophyte
Dunno how you feel about the used market. Somebody is gonna get a decent deal on these

Unfortunately, the seller only has 4 feedbacks.
I certainly don't mind buying used, but I think I'd want to be able to see and hear them in person if not being sold from a highly-reputable or well-known seller.

Deja vu!

I just put together a system for my girlfriend using Pioneer BS-22's and the Dayton Audio Sub-1200.

I was planning to use the A4L AVR-1513 @ $130, but as I was setting it up in my home to check everything out, I first hooked it to my AVR-1712 and ran Audyssey MultEQ XT with Dynamic EQ on and Dynamic volume off. I was amazed at how Audyssey improved these already good speakers!
I had to test it, so hooked my Paradigm S-2's back up without running MultiEQ XT again or any other changes in the settings. They did not sound good. For this reason, I think it is MultiEQ XT and not Dynamic EQ that made the improvement, though I really like Dynamic EQ.
While I really don't like the notion of using Audyssey to compensate for speakers, I think it was the best use of an additional $100 I could invest in the system. The AVR-1712 is no longer made, but the X1000 provides the same Audyssey capabilities and powers a pair of BS-22 quite easily.
My experience would suggest Audyssey is better justified with less expensive speakers - I never noticed that dramatic of a difference with the several $1000/pr and over speakers I have tried Audyssey with!

Full disclosure, I used 2 SUB-1200 in her system because she only had two spots a sub would fit and I did not want to risk that neither of them would be an acceptable spot for a single sub. But that is not really relevant to what I say above. I am not talking about the bass and how well it integrated, I am talking about the SQ of the BS-22's after Audyssey.

I am very happy with the end result. She is too, but she had an Insignia soundbar, so that goes without saying.
Thanks, this is helpful. I'll definitely look closer at the Audyssey versions in those receivers. The x1000 currently has free shipping as well.

Really trying to stay under my budget, but it always seems like no matter what I'm looking at that just a little more money will provide much better results.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I certainly don't mind buying used, but I think I'd want to be able to see and hear them in person if not being sold from a highly-reputable or well-known seller.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'll definitely look closer at the Audyssey versions in those receivers. The x1000 currently has free shipping as well.

Really trying to stay under my budget, but it always seems like no matter what I'm looking at that just a little more money will provide much better results.
Well Ok, then I will not show you this :) > a real nice deal, on a pair of some
good serious sounding Boston VS260 speakers. [seller has good Ebay report].
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Acoustics-VS-260-Main-Stereo-Speakers-/331386446105?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4d282be119

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately, I only had MultEQ XT available to try. I don't know if one of the lesser versions would have done as well or not.
Are you looking at this as a stepping stone system where you would envision upgrading components over the next year or two, or are you looking to get the best you can with your current budget and use it until breaks or becomes totally obsolete.

But if you go:
Sony Core $150
Denon x1000 $220
SUB-1200 $110

That is $480.

I can recommend the BS-22 as an excellent option based on my experience with them in this system, but I would defer to Zeiglj01's recommendation of the Sony Core. He has a passion for listening to value oriented speakers and has a well-developed ear. (and the WAF clinches it against the Pioneers).

J Garcia makes a good point, there is a good chance the pioneers or Sony's will be discounted next week, so try not to let your trigger finger get too itchy.

The SUB-1200 is definitely an amazing sub for $110, but if you decide to spend more on speakers now and delay the sub, check out Jman's (Jim Wilson's) review of the NXG NX-BAS-500:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/67178-nxg-nx-bas-500-subwoofer-review.html

It can be had from Radio Shack for $260. Online only.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Correction applied above - Sub can be had at Radio Shack. Home depot carries a different model NXG

Last edited:
HushH

HushH

Audiophyte
Thanks for the additional feedback guys. So I had a chance to get over to Best Buy and take a listen to the Sony Cores and Pioneer BS22. First off, I realize you can't really audition speakers in a big box store like Best Buy. But I have to say both of those speakers left me wanting. While the Sony Cores had excellent detail, they seemed a little aggressive. The Pioneers were more subdued, but there didn't seem to be much depth to them at all. The Sony Core Floors did have a slightly better sound, and out of those that would probably be my choice at this point. I know I can't expect truly great sound at this price and my very untrained ear may not be able to discern what these speakers are truly capable of in the right environment, but I was not ready to pull the trigger on those based on what I heard tonight.

So here's another very noobish question, how much better/different can I expect these speakers to sound in the home environment? Should I expect the same overall tonal qualities? And can anyone provide a direct comparison of the sound of these speakers vs the e5bi and wharfedale 10.1? I like the fact that emptek offers the 30 day audition and it looks like musicdirect offers 60 day on the 10.1s (if I'm reading that correctly).

Once again, thanks for all your assistance.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the additional feedback guys. So I had a chance to get over to Best Buy and take a listen to the Sony Cores and Pioneer BS22. First off, I realize you can't really audition speakers in a big box store like Best Buy. But I have to say both of those speakers left me wanting. While the Sony Cores had excellent detail, they seemed a little aggressive. The Pioneers were more subdued, but there didn't seem to be much depth to them at all. The Sony Core Floors did have a slightly better sound, and out of those that would probably be my choice at this point.

So here's another very noobish question, how much better/different can I expect these speakers to sound in the home environment? And can anyone provide a direct comparison of the sound of these speakers vs the e5bi and wharfedale 10.1? I like the fact that emptek offers the 30 day audition and it looks like musicdirect offers 60 day on the 10.1s (if I'm reading that correctly).
Speakers that are set up properly in the home - is the best way to hear and judge their
overall performance, such as imaging and soundstage presentation. However, that does
not mean that they will sound twice as good - but, it does give you a chance to evaluate
them as they were designed/engineered for the home environment. Then after a couple
of weeks, you should know if you can live with them. Some speakers can grow on you.

We all tend to hear things a little different - however, the Sony is not aggressive to me.
Their overall frequency response is not voiced to jump out at you in the store.
For me, compared to the Sony - the Pioneer is more closed in and veiled, and has lower
resolution in the mids and highs, and are somewhat boomy sounding.

However you need to find what you can live with, and no one can guarantee you anything.
It would be good if you can test a couple of speakers in your home, such as Emp/Rbh and
Wharfedale, and see if one of them will float your boat. You just have to be willing to pay
return shipping.

Last edited:
HushH

HushH

Audiophyte
Thanks zieglj01. I agree that at this point I just need to start auditioning in home. I'm just trying to identify which set to start with (i.e. which I am most likely to like and hopefully not have to send back). I have this irrational fear of buyers remorse. :)

Since my wife and I were more impressed by the fullness of the floorstanders and since I may forego the subwoofer for a period of time, there are a couple of others that I was wondering if they might be worth consideration:

Cambridge S70
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs70blk/cambridge-audio-s70-5-3-way-floorstanding-speakers-each-black/1.html

Infinity Primus P363
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Three-way-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B0046A8R3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416926276&sr=8-1&keywords=p363

Any particularly good or bad thoughts on these, particularly as compared to others in consideration? Thanks!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks zieglj01. I agree that at this point I just need to start auditioning in home. I'm just trying to identify which set to start with (i.e. which I am most likely to like and hopefully not have to send back). I have this irrational fear of buyers remorse. :)

Since my wife and I were more impressed by the fullness of the floorstanders and since I may forego the subwoofer for a period of time, there are a couple of others that I was wondering if they might be worth consideration:

Cambridge S70
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cambs70blk/cambridge-audio-s70-5-3-way-floorstanding-speakers-each-black/1.html

Infinity Primus P363
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Three-way-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B0046A8R3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416926276&sr=8-1&keywords=p363

Any particularly good or bad thoughts on these, particularly as compared to others in consideration? Thanks!
I am not a fan of the Infinity for music

I consider the Sony Core sound signature, better than the Cambridge sound signature.

Now for a good budget tower speaker - check out the Philharmonic Audio AA towers.
He modded the Pioneer speakers, with a new and better tweeter and modified the
crossover for a smooth balanced sound, for good detail and definition.
Read about it here - $275 a pair
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

For towers on a budget, my preference would be
[1] Philharmonic AA
[2] Sony Core series
[3] Cambridge

I would save for a good sub, from the likes of HSU and some others

Your call

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers