Another "Help me Choose Speakers" Thread

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
I'm just getting starting on purchasing a little A/V set up and am having bad luck so far. I got a nice TV a few weeks ago, and it stopped working after watching one movie... but the picture was incredible for the two hours it worked. I'm now trying to decide if I wait for the repair shop to keep taking their time fixing it or if I just return it for something else. I found a Sony STR-DN1040 for $330 that is on it's way. I now need to figure out the best speakers/sub. I'm planning on getting the Pioneer SP-PK52FS speakers, but I think the subwoofer in the package sucks. Please critique my plan and offer any other options that might be better:

Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Floor Standing Speakers
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speakers

Now the big question is which sub do add to these (or another setup if there is something better for the price)?
Options:

1-SVS-PB1000

2-BIC-PL200 (I was set on getting these until I started reading around on this site, I found great reviews at other places but after reading real test data I'm not sure that's the way to go)

3-Or do I buy the Dayton do it yourself kit along with an amp? (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7097 & https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa500-500w-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-807)

Somewhere around $1000 is my max budget for 5.1 setup, but that's flexible if there is a lot better option for a little more cost. For a sub I'm really interested in low frequencies for movies and things, along with a very flat frequency response (I'm more interested in sound quality than anything). I hate boomy base, and hate port noises (I realize a decent ported sub wont give port noises). I've been into high sound quality car audio, and can already see that my obsessive nature will take me over on this home audio deal.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Per sub: How big is your room and is it open to other space? What exactly the budget for sub (if you stick to above mentioned Pio 5.0 setup)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With that budget, the Pioneers are a solid bet, though I'd probably drop to two sets of BS22s to bring the price down and put that toward the sub, even though it might mean an extra set of stands/mounts. I went from the bookshelf to the towers without a sub and it was a good upgrade, but with a sub you don't need the towers as much.

If you are comfortable with DIY, the Dayton will probably offer you the most bang for your buck, but there are things I think the PB1000 will do better; just not output. If it were me, and I have no problem with DIY, I'd still probably go with the PB1000. 2 BICs will also give you more output, but aren't going to sound as good as the SVS, so we're talking tradeoffs here.

I think the amp they intend you to use is either a pro amp or one like this with that dayton kit: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sa1000-subwoofer-amplifier-rack-mountable--300-811

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
The room is 12x20 with an opening in the corner to the kitchen/dining area (opening is about 3.5 feet off each corner wall). The budget for the sub kind of depends on the speakers I get, I would say around $500. If dropping the towers to bookshelf speakers is worth it then that would give me more to put towards a sub... but I don't want sound quality to suffer if dropping to the bookshelf speakers. As mentioned if there is a much better option for a little more I am open to suggestions.

What do you think the PB1000 will do better? Will one of them give me better low end, or better sound quality than the other (I know that's kind of a relative question)? I don't have any problem with DIY, I am always looking for projects and the Dayton would satisfy my search for a short time. I'm not necessarily looking for SPL or anything, more the best quality of sound when listening to music and also the low end bass from explosions on movies. I have 2 12's in my car in an infinite baffle set up and LOVE them, they can reach down to about 20-25Hz and have a very flat frequency response, and I'm afraid I will miss the low bass after being used to these in the car. I'm thinking the BIC is out, I would like to save the money by going with them but the more I read about them the more I think they aren't that great.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Add this Outlaw sub to your short list of subs to consider. It'll outperform the PB-1000 easily, and it's on sale. It ought to reach even deeper than your free-air subs in your car.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$500 sub, you WILL miss the bass in the home theater compared to the car. I built a dual 10" sealed fed by a big amp and it would rattle your eyeballs. Getting that in the house is not so cheap.

With the towers, they are higher sensitivity and have more midrange output than the bookshelf due to additional drivers and different tuning, but the BS22LR is no slouch and handled pretty extreme levels when I pushed them. They did just fine with an 80Hz x-over with my sub.

LFM-1EX is a good bet, but is also $600 not $500. If the budget allows that, then it will have no problem with that room and is configurable for output or extension.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If you like the idea of towers, you could go 3.1 to stay in your budget with the Outlaw sub, and get the surrounds later. Also bear in mind that the Pioneer bookshelfs are rear-ported, and therefore not wall-mountable -- so stands would need to be budgeted as well. Procrastinating on the surrounds until you can afford a pair of good dipoles might be better in the long run if you're doing side surrounds. That'll help you avoid upgrade-itis later.

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
That's actually a good idea. I'm thinking I'll go 3.1 for now and upgrade later... very good point on satisfying the upgrade-itis later on. Any idea how long that Outlaw sub is on sale?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
That's actually a good idea. I'm thinking I'll go 3.1 for now and upgrade later... very good point on satisfying the upgrade-itis later on. Any idea how long that Outlaw sub is on sale?
Do not know how long

However, 3.1 under a $1000

HTD Level Two bookshelf and center
HTD Level TWO Speakers

with the Outlaw sub

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I think it's a father's day sale, so I'd guess only through the coming week.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Now if you want some towers - this is a serious good deal

JBL Studio 180
JBL Studio 180 - Newegg.com

The center is at Amazon - another real good price
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-120c-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00413OWOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402160245&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+120

The Studio 120 for surrounds
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-130-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00413OWO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402160395&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+130

With the Outlaw sub - that meets the $1000 budget

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Do not know how long

However, 3.1 under a $1000

HTD Level Two bookshelf and center
HTD Level TWO Speakers

with the Outlaw sub
Not sure the Level Two bookshelf LCR is any better than the Pioneer tower LCR for the O.P., but those dipoles sure are interesting for my possible future. Thanks for that!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure the Level Two bookshelf LCR is any better than the Pioneer tower LCR for the O.P.,
Well, I have owned the Pioneer and Level Two speakers - do not under-estimate HTD

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You've owned the JBLs too, haven't you? How would you compare the clarity of the JBL with the HTD and the Pioneer? That JBL combo does look like a good find. O.P., New Egg shell shocker deals are only good for a day and often sell out sooner.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You've owned the JBLs too, haven't you? How would you compare the clarity of the JBL with the HTD and the Pioneer? That JBL combo does look like a good find. O.P., New Egg shell shocker deals are only good for a day and often sell out sooner.
The Pioneer towers are nice - however over-all I prefer the BS22 to the FS52
For mainly HT - then the FS52 towers are a good option as they will have more
bass and punch.

For me the HTD Level Two is a little better than the Pioneer speakers - however,
on some sources the tweeter can be a little edgy - (typical for budget speakers)

However, I prefer the Cambridge S30 speakers over both the Pioneer and HTD,
due to the cohesive sound nature, and they have better detail and definition.

I have owned several JBL speakers - however, not the Studio 1 series - JBL can
be hit or miss - and when they are on, they are on. The overall word on the Studio
1 series is nice - and at these prices for one on a tight budget, they should be on
a real short list. The Studio 130 speakers measure better, than the 180 towers.

If I was to go Pioneer - I would get the modded towers and center, from Dennis
Murphy at Philharmonic Audio - not much difference from the stock price.

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
Oh no... too many options now. Looks like I've got some more research ahead of me. I appreciate all the suggestions and input.

Can you define a term for a newbie? 'HT'... you mentioned that FS52 is a good option for HT?

Any other input on those JBL's? That price is really tempting. I'm going to try to google some info on them, If they are at least comparable to the Pioneer and HTD then I'm going to go for them. However, is rather spend a little more on either of the more expensive options if they are better quality.

Here's a dumb question: If I upgrade later and start mixing brands am I going to regret it, or am I going to need to stick with the same brand to get the sounds to match better (I can't think of a more technical way to put that)?

Last edited:
P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
Another dumb question: If I'm getting a sub is it worth getting the towers or should I just stick with bookshelf speakers? The difference between the two is the towers typical get a lower response? If I set the crossover at a around 80Hz for the sub are the bookshelf speakers going to be able to fill in the lower mid bass well enough?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
HT = home theater, as in contrast to stereo music. Pretty much universally, if speakers are great at music reproduction, they'll also be great for home theater use. Unfortunately, the reverse is not necessarily true. Speakers with acceptable home theater performance could still have poor music performance.

It's best to have the left, center, and right from the same brand and series so they timbre match. Matching surrounds not as important, and matched sub not at all important.

I think if you get towers your mid-bass will be a little punchier. Kick drums will have a more visceral feel. But even if you get towers that have extremely low frequency response, you still ought to have a sub. The best placement of speakers in a room for proper imaging and sound stage is probably not the best place for bass response. Additionally, having an active subwoofer takes a significant amount of load off your receiver, as sub bass is the most demanding of power. But it is also possible to get a great blend between bookshelfs and sub. That's the setup I run, and it's amazeballs.

Good room correction is important for such a blend though, in my humble opinion. I'm not sure about the correction in your Sony receiver. Given that variable, I think your chance of satisfaction is higher if you get towers.

But don't get towers just for the sake of getting towers. If they hit fairly low but the mid range is muddy, you would've been better off with bookshelfs.

Just keep googling, and pay particular attention to the complaints more than the praise. On the other hand, you should also beware of morons using speakers improperly and blaming user error on the equipment.

Last edited:
P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
Thanks for answering my questions, and all the help you guys have been providing.

Looking at the frequency response of the JBL and Pioneers, The JBL is not extremely impressive. It has a big dip around the lower vocal frequencies which has me a worried. Im also finding some pretty mixed reviews. The price is tempting but Im thinking I might rule those out unless someone has some personal experience with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis