Another Beatles Reissue?

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Is it just me, or is this latest reissue of the Beatles catalog (at over $300!:eek:) just a little overkill? As a geezer about the same age as them, I eagerly bought all their original vinyl, then sprung for the CDs as well as the various anthologies. Now there's another edition, supposedly remastered with superior sound quality with other archival tidbits included.

I think I'll sit this one out...frankly, I hardly ever listen to them anymore except when I'm in a nostalgic mood. The audio quality of that era isn't usually anything to get excited about, although I did enjoy that 5.1 DVD-Audio of "Love".

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Now there's another edition, supposedly remastered with superior sound quality
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what superior sound quality means to the record label is louder. I'll reserve judgement until I hear them, although it's hard to consider putting down ANY money on the CD format.

I can't believe these aren't being released on vinyl as well, given that everything else is these days.

I'll wait until 2012 to the rumoured 24/192 Blu-ray edition comes out on the 50th anniversary of the band's first studio album.

Last edited:
dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
When did they announce pricing?
Just within the last couple days.
Looks like most places are around $200 for the stereo set and $239 for the mono set. Mono set is being listed as limited to 10,000 copies.
:(

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what superior sound quality means to the record label is louder. I'll reserve judgement until I hear them, although it's hard to consider putting down ANY money on the CD format.

I can't believe these aren't being released on vinyl as well, given that everything else is these days.

I'll wait until 2012 to the rumoured 24/192 Blu-ray edition comes out on the 50th anniversary of the band's first studio album.
I will go out on a limb and say that in this case I think they will sound better. Consider what has been released in the past from the Beatles, and consider the difference between the original Yellow Submarine and the Yellow Submarine Songtrack album. That said, I doubt I will be buying it, as I already own all of the Beatles original CD releases of their music, plus the Yellow Submarine Songtrack album and Let It Be...Naked, and an "unofficial" live in Hamburg disc. But if I were just now looking to buy Beatles music, I would probably be buying the new stuff, though I would want to wait for reviews just to be sure that I am right that they will sound better.

M

Mayonnaise

Audiophyte
Feeling skeptical as well. The more expensive Mono box doesn't even include all the albums, making me feel duped.

The Love CD/DVD sounded very good and I have reasonable faith the new reissues will have improved sound.

That being said, I think the Beatles reissues and the whole Michael Jackson surge will mark the end of the CD era. Feels to me like EMI is going to stick it to the faithful because they can in a move that is pricey and desperate.

i've got all those records committed to memory and haven't felt the need to listen to them in years. Even in the car, when they come on the radio, I turn the dial.

I'll remain a big Beatles fan and would love to hear the remasters. Spend a few weeks with the cds, time traveling through memory. I just don't want to spend $200 for the privilege of doing so.

How about this as an idea, buy the box on Amazon, set my iTunes to lossless, import all the cds, then sell it on ebay as "near new"?

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Here's a press release on the Beatles remasters:

Re-mastering the Beatles catalogue

The re-mastering process commenced with an extensive period conducting tests before finally copying the analogue master tapes into the digital medium. When this was completed, the transfer was achieved using a Pro Tools workstation operating at 24 bit 192 kHz resolution via a Prism A-D converter. Transferring was a lengthy procedure done a track at a time. Although EMI tape does not suffer the oxide loss associated with some later analogue tapes, there was nevertheless a slight build up of dust, which was removed from the tape machine heads between each title.

From the onset, considerable thought was given to what audio restorative processes were going to be allowed. It was agreed that electrical clicks, microphone vocal pops, excessive sibilance and bad edits should be improved where possible, so long as it didn’t impact on the original integrity of the songs.

In addition, de-noising technology, which is often associated with re-mastering, was to be used, but subtly and sparingly. Eventually, less than five of the 525 minutes of Beatles music was subjected to this process. Finally, as is common with today’s music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles’ music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.

When all of the albums had been transferred, each song was then listened to several times to locate any of the agreed imperfections. These were then addressed by Guy Massey, working with Audio Restoration engineer Simon Gibson.

Mastering could now take place, once the earliest vinyl pressings, along with the existing CDs, were loaded into Pro Tools, thus allowing comparisons to be made with the original master tapes during the equalization process. When an album had been completed, it was auditioned the next day in studio three – a room familiar to the engineers, as all of the recent Beatles mixing projects had taken place in there – and any further alteration of EQ could be addressed back in the mastering room. Following the initial satisfaction of Guy and Steve, Allan Rouse and Mike Heatley then checked each new re-master in yet another location and offered any further suggestions. This continued until all 13 albums were completed to the team’s satisfaction."
John

I

internet-music

Audiophyte
hi

presently you can listen to live internet radios that provide music of every genre there is no need of download and your song is just a click away

F

farout

Audioholic Intern
farout

Is it just me, or is this latest reissue of the Beatles catalog (at over $300!:eek:) just a little overkill? As a geezer about the same age as them, I eagerly bought all their original vinyl, then sprung for the CDs as well as the various anthologies. Now there's another edition, supposedly remastered with superior sound quality with other archival tidbits included.

I think I'll sit this one out...frankly, I hardly ever listen to them anymore except when I'm in a nostalgic mood. The audio quality of that era isn't usually anything to get excited about, although I did enjoy that 5.1 DVD-Audio of "Love".
i downloaded it from btjunkie and the sound is something else. i was playing some of it today and it blew me away.i grew up with them and always was eager to hear there next album. take my word on it the sound will blow you away. farout

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
My wife wanted it....bad. So we bought the entire anthology(260.00 cdn but we get free delivery...:rolleyes:) and she was thrilled to see that "Slow Down" was included on one of the discs. I'll just use this as bargaining chip....:D

Bill...:)

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
One at a time, they are not too bad price wise. I don't want the early ones. I broke down yesterday and bought the new remastered white album and the sound is terrific. It's clean, clear and detailed like no other Beatles I have heard before.

Hicks

Hicks

Audioholic
These new remasters completely obliterate the 87 versions in terms of clarity and detail, definitely a worthy upgrade in my opinion.

The mono mixes are very cool to finally have on CD, they are a very different experience than the stereo versions.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
OK, dudes, maybe I'll get the new box set. Jeez, I'm a whore for this stuff. Hope it lives up to the hype.:rolleyes:

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
Just finised listening to the MONO:

A Hard Day's Night
Help!
Beatles For Sale

Very impressive indeed!

John

A

audiohonic65

Audioholic
That's what is called a good husband! You really made your wife happy with this bargain of entire anthology.

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Okay, so I listened to the mono set box on my headphones. Some of the songs sounds great even in mono, while others sound kind of compressed. I know the mix varies from song to song, not to mention the quality of sound between the albums. Perhaps we can compile a list of our favorite sounding songs from the box set.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
The Beatles on SACD anyone? Or DVD Audio at 192 Khz/24-Bit res., even 32-Bit.
Or high res. LPCM, or DTS-HD MA on Blu-ray?

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
LOTR, they did all of the remastering work at 24-bit 192 kHz. Also, they have all of the original stems. From reading some interviews with the engineers, it seems likely that we'll get The Beatles (all of the albums) in surround 5.1 in a few years.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
LOTR, they did all of the remastering work at 24-bit 192 kHz. Also, they have all of the original stems. From reading some interviews with the engineers, it seems likely that we'll get The Beatles (all of the albums) in surround 5.1 in a few years.
That would smoke. Even better if they include a hi-rez 2 channel mix with the 5.1.

DJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis