Angled LCR Ceiling Speakers - Review Help

L

larcklorn

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone,

I have met my match on researching angled LCR speakers for my new 5.1 system. I know all of the pros and cons here and will be doing my best to mitigate some of them, but I don't have a choice on placement. The wall with the TV is a plaster wall which is in front of brick wall - no way to mount speakers here - so ceiling it is because the wife wants them hidden.

Here is what I need - help from you with what you may know about some of the brands I will have below, any pros/cons, and to add to the list if I missed something. I have no way to hear all of these speakers here in Indianapolis - so be my ears for me if you will.

Details on the room and setup:
* TV will be above a 4.5 ft mantle
* Sitting area is 10ft back from TV with an 8ft ceiling
* Floors are hardwood
* Ceiling and Walls are Plaster (yes the room is lively and they may factor in what you recommend as it may not be worth my money to do really high end items)
* Looking to stay at 200-300 per speaker, but willing to consider something else if it is just going to work perfectly
* Need to stick to round speakers due to ceiling configuration
* Will be powered by a Marantz 1504 or 1403 unit
* Will be used for mostly movies, but hoping that soundstage will support hearing the wonderful soundtracks as well as the surround effects

Now - here is the list that I have accumulated. I have two hopes - one that this threads help highlight the large number of speakers out there and two, that we can define the good, bad, and ugly out of the group.

Paradigm
CS-60R-30
CS-60R-30 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.
Notes - I like the sound, but do not see a lot of recent reviews on these.
Angle: 30

Earthquake
SS82W

Notes - Heard a small local installer and they were not bad, but no reviews anywhere.
Angle: 20

Monoprice
[url=http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4929&seq=1&format=2]For only $80.62 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 8 Inches Kevlar In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - w/ 15 Degree Angled Woofer

Notes - Seems to have some reliable follows out there and price is good, but what do they sound like.
Angle: 15

MTX
HT625AC
Amazon.com: MTX HT625AC 6-1/2 Home Theater Angled Ceiling Speaker Pair [Electronics]: Electronics
Notes - none

Episode
ES-500-POINT-6
SnapAV - Episode® 500-Series Angled In-Ceiling Speaker with 6-1/2 in. Woofer (Each)
Notes - none

Dayton
ME650C
Dayton Audio ME650C 6-1/2" LCRS 15° Angled Ceiling Speaker
Notes - none

InWallTech
HD-650A
InwallTech HD-650A High Definition 6 1/2" Angled Ceiling Theater Virtually Invisible Speakers
Notes - Great bulk price and on site reviews, but nothing out in the real world that I know of.

Legrand

7000 Series HT7655
7000 Series Angled In-Ceiling Speaker | by Legrand
Notes - none
Angle: unknown

Proficient
C870, C840, C660, C655, C650
Home Theater In Ceiling Speakers, 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound Systems
Notes - Wide variety of selection between quality to price

Speakercraft
Aim8 One
Amazon.com: Speakercraft AIM8 One High Fidelity Pivoting In-Ceiling Speaker System - Each (White): Electronics
Notes - none
Angle - unknown

So - that is my selection so far - I may update this with the woofer and tweeter material if everyone feels it would help. Tell me what you think and let me know if you need more info.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello Everyone,

I have met my match on researching angled LCR speakers for my new 5.1 system. I know all of the pros and cons here and will be doing my best to mitigate some of them, but I don't have a choice on placement. The wall with the TV is a plaster wall which is in front of brick wall - no way to mount speakers here - so ceiling it is because the wife wants them hidden.

Here is what I need - help from you with what you may know about some of the brands I will have below, any pros/cons, and to add to the list if I missed something. I have no way to hear all of these speakers here in Indianapolis - so be my ears for me if you will.

Details on the room and setup:
* TV will be above a 4.5 ft mantle
* Sitting area is 10ft back from TV with an 8ft ceiling
* Floors are hardwood
* Ceiling and Walls are Plaster (yes the room is lively and they may factor in what you recommend as it may not be worth my money to do really high end items)
* Looking to stay at 200-300 per speaker, but willing to consider something else if it is just going to work perfectly
* Need to stick to round speakers due to ceiling configuration
* Will be powered by a Marantz 1504 or 1403 unit
* Will be used for mostly movies, but hoping that soundstage will support hearing the wonderful soundtracks as well as the surround effects

Now - here is the list that I have accumulated. I have two hopes - one that this threads help highlight the large number of speakers out there and two, that we can define the good, bad, and ugly out of the group.

Paradigm
CS-60R-30
CS-60R-30 - Welcome to the New Official Paradigm® Website.
Notes - I like the sound, but do not see a lot of recent reviews on these.
Angle: 30

Earthquake
SS82W

Notes - Heard a small local installer and they were not bad, but no reviews anywhere.

Monoprice
[URL="http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4929&seq=1&format=2"]For only $80.62 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 8 Inches Kevlar In-Ceiling Speakers (Pair) - w/ 15 Degree Angled Woofer

Notes - Seems to have some reliable follows out there and price is good, but what do they sound like.

MTX
HT625AC
Amazon.com: MTX HT625AC 6-1/2 Home Theater Angled Ceiling Speaker Pair [Electronics]: Electronics
Notes - none

Episode
ES-500-POINT-6
SnapAV - Episode® 500-Series Angled In-Ceiling Speaker with 6-1/2 in. Woofer (Each)
Notes - none

Dayton
ME650C
Dayton Audio ME650C 6-1/2" LCRS 15° Angled Ceiling Speaker
Notes - none

InWallTech
HD-650A
InwallTech HD-650A High Definition 6 1/2" Angled Ceiling Theater Virtually Invisible Speakers
Notes - Great bulk price and on site reviews, but nothing out in the real world that I know of.

Legrand

7000 Series HT7655
7000 Series Angled In-Ceiling Speaker | by Legrand
Notes - none
Angle: unknown

Proficient
C870, C840, C660, C655, C650
Home Theater In Ceiling Speakers, 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound Systems
Notes - Wide variety of selection between quality to price

Speakercraft
Aim8 One
Amazon.com: Speakercraft AIM8 One High Fidelity Pivoting In-Ceiling Speaker System - Each (White): Electronics
Notes - none
Angle - unknown

So - that is my selection so far - I may update this with the woofer and tweeter material if everyone feels it would help. Tell me what you think and let me know if you need more info.
You absolutely never do ceiling LCR. It is a complete waste of money, time and effort.

Your option are: -

Use the TV speakers.

Use a sound bar.

Get your wife in board with a sensibly designed project and have your wife as part of the design team.

Change your wife.

Seriously, a good AV system is really enjoyable, a poor one a total continuous frustration.

Nothing says speakers have to be hidden. Thet can add to the decor of a room. Form and function, is the name of the game.

There are really good small speakers if your room is not too big, the ATC SCM 7 speakers come to mind. With a good sub you are set.

If the room is larger and your wife wants the pleasure of a good system then she will have to accept bigger speakers.

The thing about women and audio and especially AV is they they end up really enjoying it if done right. Go through the pro and joes gallery with her here and other sites. Have her read this post. Make her understand that your plan is no plan at all and both of you will hate it.

There is absolutely no rule that speakers can't be seen and some speakers are highly styled and exotic pieces of furniture in their own right.

Your wife needs to open her mind to the possibilities. Unless she is tone deaf she will enjoy the whole experience.

We have our main residence as a lake home. My wife loves the theater here.

She made me upgrade drastically the facilities at our Eagan town home, honest!

She just loves the system and tells me all the time. She comes home from work and just relaxes with it.

Don't forget putting speakers in the ceiling is not invisible either, in fact quite the contrary. In fact it violates the form and function rule quite violently, especially when in use, with the voices coming from on high, when they should be coming from the direction of the TV screen. If you carry out your scheme that is will be the result and neither of you will like it.

L

larcklorn

Audiophyte
I'm with you on this. The more I read the more I am concerned about wasting money on something that will never sound quiet right. What are your thoughts on the goldenear supercinema 3D array setup?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm with you on this. The more I read the more I am concerned about wasting money on something that will never sound quiet right. What are your thoughts on the goldenear supercinema 3D array setup?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
If you want a sound bar, this Yamaha is the one to get.

If you don't get something with HDMI connectivity, that will avoid you having to use the digital out from the TV, otherwise the digital rights management brigade can and will rain on your parade.

I should stress a good speaker system is much to be preferred. Hiding speakers in an AV room makes as much sense as hiding the stove, and refrigerator in a kitchen.

M

Moosedad

Audiophyte
I was in your situation a couple of years back. I wanted a 5.1 sound system in our family room just off of the kitchen. This is where most of our TV watching is done. It is not a huge room, about 18 ft wide and 17 ft deep. The layout has a bank of windows on one side, a window, built-in book shelves and a large open doorway to the living room on the other side wall. The back is a large opening into the kitchen area. The front wall has a wide brick fireplace centered on the wall. The fireplace has a fixed wooden mantle. Placing a screen above the mantle would not allow for comfortable viewing, not to mention the difficulty on running power and HDMI cables through the brick for a custom look.

All that being said, the only place for a TV is to either side of the fireplace. My wife didn't really care about the budget but she had two wishes. She did not want to have big speakers sitting in the middle of the room and did not want to see any wiring. For our particular room, floorstanding or bookshelf speakers were not an option, both practically and aesthetically. With the corner location in walls were not an option. Though there are many fine soundbars out there, I don't care for the look and I felt I could design a system with better sound quality. It's true in ceiling speakers are not necessarily optimal, sometimes the room and family demand this option. Many high end audio companies are manufacturing them for a reason.

After much online research and auditioning, I chose the Bowers and Wilkins CCM816 in ceiling speakers. They have a 6.5 inch Kevlar midrange which is angled about 25 degrees and a 1 inch tubeloaded aluminum dome tweeter. The tweeter is also angled. These are similar to the components used in there 800D series. They are directional, which really helps with the sound quality. They are round, as you mentioned you needed. The grilles can be painted, if needed, but the factory white should look good with most white ceilings. I placed them in DynaBox speaker enclosures. These really help with the in room sound and with sound transmission to our bedroom which is directly above the family room. As my wife pointed out, when in the bedroom you can actually hear the basement home theaterore than the family room system.

I placed the LCR in a triangular pattern in the corner of the room and the surrounds in the left and right rear corners. Placed a B&W ASW610 subwoofer in the right front of the room, on the other side of the fireplace. They are powered by a Marantz SR6004 receiver. We have a Sony BD player and the system is run by a Crestron Prodigy home automation system.

I auditioned Paradigm, Speakercraft, Revel, Triad, Sonos and others. I liked the sound reproduction and clarity of the B&Ws above all others I heard. My in ceiling 5.1 speaker setup sounds better than many of my friends actual home theaters. They agree. And as for the "sound from above" some talk about, that is not necessarily true. At least not in my room. I am still amazed at how the sound seems like it is coming from the TV. I sit and look at the speakers, but the sound comes from below at the TV. I can't explain why it sounds so amazing; speaker directionality, corner location, or what?

The system also sounds great with music. At least as good as any midlevel floorstanding speakers. Even with music you can't tell the sound is coming from the ceiling.

I think you would be happy with the audio quality you will get with a high quality in ceiling speaker. Is it going to rival a $50k system? No. But is that not why we have dedicated HT or listening rooms elsewhere in the home. You can create an in ceiling system which sounds great, looks good and is both practical and wife pleasing.

The search is, I feel, the most fun. So have fun and good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis