Android/Apple Home Theater Apps

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought i would create a thread where everyone can post their experiences with Home Theater Apps from universal remotes to dedicated remotes, to signal analysis to anything remotely Home Theater related. Perhaps the mods can make this is a sticky thread.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is an app for just about everything.

I use my iPad for my Denon AVR Remote (awesome app), TeamViewer to turn on my HTPC and control my PC away from home, Hippo HTPC keyboard remote, XBMC HTPC remote, Apple TV remote. I also stream music from my iPad to my Apple TV/Denon.

My BenQ W6000 projector only has IR, so I can only use IR apps, which means I have to use my IR Android since the iPad does not have IR blaster like Android.

I guess I could use my Sony Android tablet with IR Blaster to control everything. But I like my iPad a lot more. :)

There are ways to get around IR, but I haven't felt the urge to venture. :)

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
. :)

There are ways to get around IR, but I haven't felt the urge to venture. :)
My first link is a way of not using IR for non networked components. It sends packets to a control device which in turns it into an infared command for the non networked device.

The second link is strictly IR.. and is the approach I'm going to take. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My first link is a way of not using IR for non networked components. It sends packets to a control device which in turns it into an infared command for the non networked device.

The second link is strictly IR.. and is the approach I'm going to take. :)
Yeah, the first one requires the purchase of another hardware. Don't like plugging in another device or paying money just to use an app when I could easily just turn the projector off with the regular remote. :)

The second one is good if your tablet/phone already has an IR blaster, which means Android because Apple doesn't believe in adding an IR blaster until maybe 10 years later. :eek:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
MyURemote looks interesting, but no way in heck I'm investing over $40 for an andoid app without testing it first.

Speaking of XBMC remotes - Yatse App to control Xbmc/kodi is amazing!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
MyURemote looks interesting, but no way in heck I'm investing over $40 for an andoid app without testing it first.

Speaking of XBMC remotes - Yatse App to control Xbmc/kodi is amazing!
Can't be better than the iOS XBMC remote, can it? The iOS XBMC remote is already so great.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with both of you, Bored SysAdmin and AccuDefTechGuy . I'm not about to drop of $40 for an app. That's why I'm still looking. I send the 2nd group an email asking them if I could configure macros based on activities like Logitech does and then group the activities according to rooms and differing equipment. They responded with a yes. I will puchase this app over CHristmas and give it a go. I will let you know how it goes. :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with both of you, Bored SysAdmin and AccuDefTechGuy . I'm not about to drop of $40 for an app. That's why I'm still looking. I send the 2nd group an email asking them if I could configure macros based on activities like Logitech does and then group the activities according to rooms and differing equipment. They responded with a yes. I will puchase this app over CHristmas and give it a go. I will let you know how it goes. :)
You can try it for free and it does support macros and relatively adjustable.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remotefairy4

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I purchased the app from Color Tiger and am starting to play with it. It took me awhile to figure it out because I'm used to the Logitech ways of doing things. The first thing you do is to get the app to find all your device models by entering make and model. The app then comes up with a list of potential candidates with a percentage rating based on compatability. Even if the model number is different from what you entered, select the model with the highest percentage. That part is not different from Logitech. The next part is very different from Logitech. Once you have all the remotes, you build a custom remote drawing from the functions of the the previously gathered remotes. One would only include the functions to support the macros you intend to use. I'm at that stage now building a custom or like the app refers to as a smart remote.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I wonder if tiger will work with my Acer Projector 3db? I tried a couple of free ones and it didn't work.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
AF, there is a free version. Get it and try it out :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
AF, Get the free version and try it out. One dumb question, does your Acer have an IR blaster? It works strictly on IR.

BSA, I will try and get some screen shots. Apparently, the Samsung tab4 has that ability. I just need to figure out how.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I tried it on my LG android and Sony Android and it did not work, oh well...it was searching my PJ and Receiver and did not find it. The free one that is on the Sony Tablet recognizes my TV, Sony BD, Oppo DVD and Receiver, but not the acer. Seems like acer is not on most universal remotes either. The UR50 I have does not included acer either. Ah I'll just use the PJ remote that is coming in the mail.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is my first go at what the app calls a smart remote. The first pic the remote. The right panel controls the AVR and the CD Jukebox. The left panel controls the cable box, TV, and DVD player. The numeric pad and the channel button on the left panel controls the cable box. The buttons below the cursor pad control the DVD player.

The green and yellow buttons are event macros based on what I want them to do.

The second pic is a list of all the remotes that more or less match my equipment. Any remote with the word family room prepended before the equipment was used to build the family room remote. The last pic shows the top menu of the app.

Attachments

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I accidently deleted the app and have to start over again. :( This time, it shouldnt take me so long to get things back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis