An odd power amp decision ? Help.

T

timetohunt

Audioholic
OK. check this out. I have the desire to apply a new power amp to my system. without getting into a whole bunch of detail I prefer to run my two main speakers with a separate power amp - the rest of my 5.1 system stems out of the receiver for power. You may have some additional thoughts on how/why I do this, and by all means add something about that if you wish.

But.... mainly help me consider this. Before me, I have two options to replace my current power amp which is a Peavey (made for PA systems rather than home audio reproduction, its worked good so far).

1. I am waiting for the New Emotive RPA 2 channel amp, which will be about $700. I liked everything written about the first RPA and the price is right. It was one of those gut feelings that even untested this would be a good amp for me.

2. OR .... I just found a new friend who will sell his Acurus 200w 5 channel amp to me for about $500. I think it cost over $2000, and I still need to see exactly what model it is. Its about 3 or 4 years old. My guess is its an Acurus a200x5 (the model).

What would you do? Is it stupid to have a 5ch amp when I only need 2 or does the quality supercede that logic. I am still sort of new in the hobby so I don't know. Thanks!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
What are your speakers? I would consider the needs of the center channel in the equation. If the center has the same demands as the mains that are causing you to consider separate amplification, then the multi-channel amp could be a benefit. I found more gain in the center channel when I added the 5 channel Rotel than anything else. Something to consider.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Dave makes a very good point.

Last summer, I also felt the urge to add an amp for the first time. I bought an RPA-1. The first unit power surged my speakers and stopped working on the second day, but the replacement has worked fine since. I'll say this - there was a noticeable improvement in my system from having the extra power at louder volumes. The sound was much less strained and more clear than it had been when powered by my Pioneer receiver. The RPA-1 is a nice unit.

And then I started to wonder...would it sound even better if I was also powering the center channel separately? I considered many options, agonized for months, and then finally went with an IPS-1. Now I have more channels than I need, and two amps. Before I start to sound like an Emotiva fanboy - the IPS-1 looks nices, there was a marginal improvement in my sound, but I'm not very happy with the amp itself (it hums loudly) or Emotiva anymore based on their lack of service.

My points? First, once you amp the front speakers, you may very well get the itch to amp the others - especially the center channel. Second, if you decide to amp the other channels after buying an RPA-2, you have to add another amp and/or try to sell the RPA-2. Third, I don't recommend Emotiva based on my experience with them. So, if you can get a 200W 5-channel amp for $500 right now, and if it's a nice one (I'll have to let others chime in on that because I don't know anything about that brand), then I say go for it. 200W is a good power number, and 5 channels gives you enough channels. If your friend will let you try the amp out before buying it, then even better! IMO, you should be able to tell right away if your system sounds better with the amp.

Just my two cents, and good luck!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If anything is going to go wrong with the Acurus amplifier it'll be the capacitors. Those amplifiers are pretty hardy, unfortunately most of them use very large capacitors that are prone to wearing out faster than the rest of the amplifier. If that amplifier is anything like other Acurus amplifiers it has two Red Bull sized capacitors in it.:D

T

timetohunt

Audioholic
To answer your question Dave. My mains are Klipsch FR-83s, 250w rms, 3 8" cones, 1.25" driver mated to a horn, 100db@2.83v/1m. These were not hand picked by me, rather also came by an offer I could not refuse. And thankfully, I like these big guys, they seem perfect for my listening area which is quite large and open.

My center is woefully mismatched to them, its a cerwin-vega E-76-C. A new center has reached near the top on the audio wish list. The one I want is about $850 Klipsch RC-64. So after I bought my Pioneer VSX-94TXH, I was at budget standoffs. I have to wait. But I can sell this Peavey amp (already have a buyer), and with a few extra hundred can buy a new amp. So that is why the amp is ahead of the center for now.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
LOL sounds very nice ...

Dave makes a very good point.

Last summer, I also felt the urge to add an amp for the first time. I bought an RPA-1. The first unit power surged my speakers and stopped working on the second day, but the replacement has worked fine since. I'll say this - there was a noticeable improvement in my system from having the extra power at louder volumes. The sound was much less strained and more clear than it had been when powered by my Pioneer receiver. The RPA-1 is a nice unit.

And then I started to wonder...would it sound even better if I was also powering the center channel separately? I considered many options, agonized for months, and then finally went with an IPS-1. Now I have more channels than I need, and two amps. Before I start to sound like an Emotiva fanboy - the IPS-1 looks nices, there was a marginal improvement in my sound, but I'm not very happy with the amp itself (it hums loudly) or Emotiva anymore based on their lack of service.

My points? First, once you amp the front speakers, you may very well get the itch to amp the others - especially the center channel. Second, if you decide to amp the other channels after buying an RPA-2, you have to add another amp and/or try to sell the RPA-2. Third, I don't recommend Emotiva based on my experience with them. So, if you can get a 200W 5-channel amp for $500 right now, and if it's a nice one (I'll have to let others chime in on that because I don't know anything about that brand), then I say go for it. 200W is a good power number, and 5 channels gives you enough channels. If your friend will let you try the amp out before buying it, then even better! IMO, you should be able to tell right away if your system sounds better with the amp.

Just my two cents, and good luck!
I probably won't get any power amps for a long while. Recently upgrade to Marantz 8002 and my wife says now that our den sounds like a movie theater ( hooray ;) ) but that we need a bigger room because Blu Ray DVD is so loud. :mad: Just when I was beginning to think MC2KW my personal favorite! :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis