Amps for Passive Subs

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What amps would you guys buy for the Funk Audio 18.0 sub (4 ohm nominal/ 4 ohm minimum) ?

Crown XLS 2500 ?

Weight = 10 lbs

Class D

Bridged Mono 4 ohm = 2400 Watts RMS

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Will they be visible or hidden? Same room or different?

If I were commissioning new supersubs from Nathan, I think his plate amp is the smartest choice. Prefereably the three-channel one, so that you can run the other two subs in your Geddes-style-multisub-system-to-be ;) from the main sub.

IF they're going to be visible in your room, the Crown XLS Drivecores are very solid amps, but IMO look a bit chintzy. Not as bad as the Peavey IPR's, but they're not anything I'd be willing to display in a living room featuring KEF Ref 201/2's and Revel Salon2's, either.

Same goes, incidentally, for the current XTi amps. You need to go to a music shop and look at these things before buying them if they're going to be visible.

The Dayton SA1000 (Engne Tang/Sherbourn OEM unit) would likely have adequate power for your needs. On paper it's a couple dBW down on the Crown, but in practice the difference is quite small. They're very good amps, Power-wise, I've been told independently by two parties, one who uses them with Dayton branding and one who was lead designer for a major speaker company who used the same OEM design with their own name on it) that they're good for about 750W continuous, but swing enough voltage to do 1.8kW burst.

And the SA1000 is a lot more attractive. (I bought my first one to replace a Crown XTi2000, solely because my then-new Denon 3808 in the nearfield system was black and the silver Crown looked ugly next to it.) I was using three of them, until recently.
Why "until recently?" I replaced them all with a single ElectroVoice CPS 8.5. While it's a little pricey, the made-in-Germany EV amp is more efficient - Class D vs. Class G, but the real reason I bought it is that it lets me me condense 6 rack units worth of boxes into 2 RU, without giving up a remote trigger. If you're willing to stretch your budget I'd recommend looking at one of their Class D amps, though you also will have to cut your signal wires to fit them in its Phoenix connectors. (No XLR or RCA, just the terminals.)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will they be visible or hidden? Same room or different?
Hidden/ same room.

Dayton SA1000 is 950 watts x 1ch into 4 ohms @ 1% THD, has 12v trigger. Not bad. Thanks. :D

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, the Dayton SA1000 is a simple and clean looking unit and would not look out of place. I would just get powered versions from FA if I was buying though. I dunno if they are custom Speakerpower amps similar to Seaton and JTR's offerings, but they look pretty similar :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, the Dayton SA1000 is a simple and clean looking unit and would not look out of place.
They will be hidden, though, like the ATI AT6012, AT2004, & Linkwitz Crossover.

Only thing that bothers me with Crown amps is I don't see any 12v trigger or Auto Power On like the Dayton.

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Only thing that bothers me with Crown amps is I don't see any 12v trigger or Auto Power On like the Dayton.
Most pro amps don't have those features. In fact, the only powerful pro amps of which I know that turn on/standby from a standard consumer audio 12V trigger are the German-made ElectroVoice CPS series.

There are workarounds, such as "green" power strips that turn all of the outlets on when you turn on a component plugged into the designated "trigger" outlet. However, sometimes those can interact with Class D amps in unpredictable ways. I tried using one with a (hidden, of course) Peavey IPR-3000, and while the amp was fine plugged in anywhere else, it howled when plugged into the triggered strip.

As for the SA1000, the only real downside of it is that a Class G amp won't be as efficient as a Class D amp. And, of course, that for a multisub system one needs one per sub, so that can quickly add up to 6-8 RU worth of sub amps...

The upsides are the trigger, the onboard phase knob, and parametric EQ band. The phase knob helps with integrating with the mains, and the PEQ can be used to lift up the low end of a sealed sub without worrying about clipping from the processor because there's too much low-end boost. Overall, it's a solid piece at a fair price. Though if you want to spend more, Leon Speakers will probably sell you one with their logo on it for four figures. :)

It's also worth noting that the SA1000 is safety certified by an OSHA-approved NRTL, unlike many lesser amps. (Most pro amps are, as well. But it's always important to check.)

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Amps like the XTi 2 series and Behringer iNuke will give you full blown bass management via integrated DSP.

The XLS Drive Core doesn't. It only has its own built in X-Over/high-pass/low pass filters.

Amps should be heard not seen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amps like the XTi 2 series and Behringer iNuke will give you full blown bass management via integrated DSP.

The XLS Drive Core doesn't. It only has its own built in X-Over/high-pass/low pass filters.

Amps should be heard not seen.
I never cared for DSP, though. I will let the Denon handle the bass management.

Behringer is "economical", but I guess the pro "crowd" seems to not respect Behringer like they respect Crown. I'm pretty new to the pro amp world and never bought one before. I assume it has something to do with the fact that Crown is owned by Harman International. :D

Both the Crown XTi 2002 & XLS 2500 are $550 each.

XTi 2002: 2000 Watts bridged mono 4 ohms.

XLS 2500: 2400 Watts bridged mono 4 ohms.

I don't think I will hear a difference. But on paper it seems the XTi has more "features" while the XLS has more bang-for-buck?

jinjuku

jinjuku

I never cared for DSP, though. I will let the Denon handle the bass management.
The Denon is not going to be anywhere near the capabilities if you want to put the effort in for integrating the subs with DSP. No contest.

Behringer is "economical", but I guess the pro "crowd" seems to not respect Behringer like they respect Crown. I'm pretty new to the pro amp world and never bought one before. I assume it has something to do with the fact that Crown is owned by Harman International. :D
Behringer used to be the Kia or Hyundai of pro-audio. They had real QC issues in the 90's plus a propensity for ripping off other manufacture designs (QSC and Mackie for starters).

The current Behringer is scads better. Crown is the IBM of the pro-audio world and some think that their better days are behind them since the take over by Harmon. I personally don't see it that way. Crown still puts out killer product. It's just they have an economy line now where they really never had to before (so does QSC and Crest now).

Both the Crown XTi 2002 & XLS 2500 are $550 each.

XTi 2002: 2000 Watts bridged mono 4 ohms.

XLS 2500: 2400 Watts bridged mono 4 ohms.

I don't think I will hear a difference. But on paper it seems the XTi has more "features" while the XLS has more bang-for-buck?
At only a 400 watt difference at 2000 watts I wouldn't lump it as a more bang for the buck. I think the DSP is more bang for the buck.

You can use the XTI in by-pass mode and then play with the DSP when you see fit.

jinjuku

jinjuku

BTW sign up for Guitar Centers news letter. You will often see coupons. Last one I used was 15% off.

So your $550 XTi Series 2 becomes $467.50

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis