Amplify VHF Remote Control Signal

• Thread starter gksmith5@windst
  • Start date
G

gksmith5@windst

Audiophyte
I can run 2 TVs off of my satellite receiver. One TV uses a VHF remote control to control the receiver from the remote position. However, the TV is located quite a distance away from the receiver and the signal is very wek. Is there a way of amplifying the VHF signal that the receiver transmits for the remote control so that it is easier to use in the remote position?

Tech support for the satellite company said to go to Radio Shack and get a pigtail, but Radio Shack did not know what they were talking about and I did not either! Tech support said it would cost about $3. If I find a pigtail, how do it use it? What is it?

Thanks in advance!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
That is a very interesting question although I am quite confused by it. I've never even seen any device that uses VHF frequencies as a carrier for remote control codes. Your description seems to imply that the satellite receiver transmits something at VHF frequencies and the remote receives them but that is generally backwards from how remote controls work - normally the remote transmits some code (numbers) at IR frequencies and the receiver receives it and performs the command indicated by the code.

A pigtail is just a splitter so I think both tech support and Radio Shack misunderstood the problem, just as I am probably misunderstanding as well.

G

gksmith5@windst

Audiophyte
I am new to satellite receivers, but assumed that what I have is the norm for my type of situation. I have two receivers, but each receiver can handle two TVs--one TV is in the room of the receiver and the second receiver is in another room. The receivers have two "sets" of components in them so that the TVs can watch different channels simulataneously. IR is used to control the receiver where the TV is in the same room as the reciver. But, a radio signal is used to transmit and receive the remote control signal from the remote room to the receiver. I assume that this is a VHF signal, but I may not be correct about this, but it is wireless. However, standard COAX connections are used to connect the antennae to the receiver. Because the remote location is on another floor of the house and the house has rock plaster walls, the signal does not reach the remote location very well. Hence my question, how can I help the signal get to and from the remote control to the receiver?

I may have given the impression that the TV signal was transmitted wirelessly, but it is transmitted via COAX. The remote control signal is transmitted wirelessly.

So, can I use the same type of splitter that is used to split a TV signal on COAX? If so, then what? What would I do with the split? I see that boosters are available to amplify a VHF TV signal. but I assume the wireless signal is of a different frequency. Would this help? I cannot feature that my question or problem is that unique.

Thanks

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
That description now makes sense. :)

It sounds like a typical RF (Radio Frequency) system but the RF receiver is built into the satellite receiver instead of being a separate box as it would be if you bought a remote control and RF basestation combo.

Maybe what the tech support guys meant by using a pigtail is to split the antenna input into two and then have two antennas at different locations to provide wider coverage for the RF signal.

If you cannot do that you could look for RF amplifiers/repeaters. Sites like partsexpress.com and smarthome.com may have what you need.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis