Amplifiers in pioneer VSX-919 and 519

M

mss

Audiophyte
Hello,

I'm looking for receiver only for music playback via multichannel analog in. So all I need from receiver is volume control and amps (DSP, and corrections are undesirable). I chose pioneer VSX-919, which looks good but I'm thinking wheather there is any difference between cheaper and more expensive models regarding the amps that they use (e.g. VSX-919 vs. VSX-519). Anybody knows more about this? any other suitable models where signal goes straigth from input to volume control to amp (no DSP etc). All video functions are of course unimportant.

thanks
martin

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think you'll find it difficult to find what you're looking for new.

I'm assuming your line of thought is "less in the signal path, better sound". To a degree, you may be right. However, you'll often find the noise introduced by the sum of the other parts in the signal path are often below audible thresholds unless you're ear is next to the speaker.

Never the less, if you're looking for just the 6 channel inputs and stereo, look into an older used receiver. One that stands out in my mind is the Yamaha RX-V659. The RX-V659 will trounce those Pioneers in both measured preamplifier and amplifier performance. It has preouts as well, which allows you to connect higher power amplifiers at a later date if you deem it necessary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-RX-V659-7-1-channel-Receiver-/220671700193?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item33610eece1

M

mss

Audiophyte
hello,
thanks for your answer.
It does not have to be new, I'm fine with used gear.

"I'm assuming your line of thought is "less in the signal path, better sound" well thats not really the reason I'm asking.. I know that all the processing could well be inaudible/transparent, but the problem is that I have to avoid it. I want my receiver to work as a multichannel amplifier with volume control. I'll do crossover for my speakers in PC and then use analog outputs from soundcard to receiver. for 2 way stereo speakers I need 4 channels.. (so receiver with 5.1 analog inputs with no processing - no delays etc with only volume control could work fine here). Also as you understand pre outs are not necessary as I want this precisely for amplifier work.. of course I could be using multichannel volume control with multiple amps but money is always big factor..
thanks for the tip on the yamaha. if you know about any other suited receivers just let me know.

thanks
martin

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you want less in the signal path then get a stereo receiver, since it is for music only. Onkyo or Harman Kardon make the most readily available ones (though most manufacturers also have them) and they are less expensvie with better amps than comparably priced multichannel receivers since they don't have to fiddle with the multichannel circuitry. Used models should be easy to find and since little changes with stereo receivers these days, the technology in them remains much the same. For music quality, Pioneer isn't the first place I'd be looking unless it is their vintage gear, as their older gear is likely better than the current stuff.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
The "x19" line seems to share the same amps. They all weigh about the same and share the same pair of 6,800uF capacitors. Definitely not a beefy amp section.

G

Gustavo

Audioholic Intern
For music quality, Pioneer isn't the first place I'd be looking unless it is their vintage gear, as their older gear is likely better than the current stuff.
Is this something (music quality, which, I presume that you meant sound quality) that can be confirmed in a double blind test?

Last edited:
I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
No he means the sound quality is better in sighted tests. Isn't sound more enjoyable when all your equipment looks fancy? ;)

M

mss

Audiophyte
thanks all for replys,

j_garcia: as I said I need 4 independent channels, so stereo receiver is out of question.

ichigo: thanks, thats exactly the kind of information I was looking for. have some better (beefier amps section ;) ) candidates ? besides the already metioned yamaha..

Gustavo: you can read it everywhere how the quality went down in last years.. it has to be true to some extent, but as you suggested, it would be interesting to see this kind of test to see what really matters...

G

Gustavo

Audioholic Intern
No he means the sound quality is better in sighted tests. Isn't sound more enjoyable when all your equipment looks fancy? ;)
Actually, I think that Pioneer makes some of the best-looking receivers. :)

But, no, really, I'm interested to know what j_garcia meant by that as he is one of the very sensible and factual members of this forum and I respect his opinions very much. I really want to know whether this can be DBTed and confirmed provided that the subject receivers are level-matched.

G

Gustavo

Audioholic Intern
thanks all for replys,

Gustavo: you can read it everywhere how the quality went down in last years.. it has to be true to some extent, but as you suggested, it would be interesting to see this kind of test to see what really matters...
We all know that build quality has been sacrificed in the price war and it's true to most of the major brands. What I want to know is whether it brought down along with it sound quality relative to price.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Most receivers from NAD have pretty hefty amplifier sections.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis