Amplifier volume control with CD/DVD player?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
In most case's yes.

On the back of your cd/dvd do you have outputs marked as "fixed" & "variable",if so you need to use the output marked variable then you can use the cd players volume controls as the preamp to control volume.

nordhaven

nordhaven

Junior Audioholic
So basically any player with a volume control has variable output? So then you could get by with out a pre amp if your player has volume control?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
What equipment do you have right now (make, models)? I see that you sold some gear a while back.;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
So basically any player with a volume control has variable output?
Unless it's specified for a headphone output (like my Marantz CC4300), it should do it. But, not all CD/DVD players offer this.

Choose ...wisely.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So basically any player with a volume control has variable output? So then you could get by with out a pre amp if your player has volume control?
Not all DVD/CD players have volume control. That feature cannot be considered as a replacement for a preamp unless the DVD/CD player is the only source of your system and you have no use for things like tone control, balance control etc.

nordhaven

nordhaven

Junior Audioholic
I have a pair of Image bookshelf speakers I was gonna give my mother. She has a modest cd collection she listens to on a crappy Aiwa cd/boombox player in her kitchen. She has a Toshiba universal DVD player in the living room for her 36" Sony TV. I think the DVD and the Image speakers would be worlds better then boombox. The kitchen and living room are open to each other so it should work.

She is comfortable with the DVD and knows how to use it. She could learn to use a stereo but has no need for the other features of a receiver. I was thinking if she could just put a CD in the player and push the on button for the amp that would be the simplest solution. Also I don't think she would be all hyped up about a big stereo receiver. A thin profile amp under or over the DVD would go over much better.

The image speakers are around 12-14 years old. They have 6.5" woofers and 1" domes, front ported 8ohm probably around 88db spl. These are what Image is making now.
http://www.imageloudspeakers.com/products/refstudio.asp
My HK 120W stereo receiver drives them very well. Around 100W would be plenty for her listening levels. Basically a thin profile easy to use amp or integrate is what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair of Image bookshelf speakers I was gonna give my mother. She has a modest cd collection she listens to on a crappy Aiwa cd/boombox player in her kitchen. She has a Toshiba universal DVD player in the living room for her 36" Sony TV. I think the DVD and the Image speakers would be worlds better then boombox. The kitchen and living room are open to each other so it should work.

She is comfortable with the DVD and knows how to use it. She could learn to use a stereo but has no need for the other features of a receiver. I was thinking if she could just put a CD in the player and push the on button for the amp that would be the simplest solution. Also I don't think she would be all hyped up about a big stereo receiver. A thin profile amp under or over the DVD would go over much better.

The image speakers are around 12-14 years old. They have 6.5" woofers and 1" domes, front ported 8ohm probably around 88db spl. These are what Image is making now.
http://www.imageloudspeakers.com/products/refstudio.asp
My HK 120W stereo receiver drives them very well. Around 100W would be plenty for her listening levels. Basically a thin profile easy to use amp or integrate is what I'm looking for.
I don't believe that the Toshiba DVD player has a volume control (if there is volume control on the remote it is for a Toshiba television). An integrated amplifier would be pretty simple and easy to use, as would the Insignia NS-R2000 stereo receiver from Best Buy (same as Sherwood RX-4109). That receiver is very simple, nothing complicated about using it at all. It is not very large either and would power the Image speakers just fine.

Insignia/Sherwood Stereo Receiver

Getting a power amplifier is not recommended for this application, and would likely drive your mother insane if things don't go perfectly (this would assume the Toshiba does have it's own volume control). Using a headphone output would be annoying vs. having an easy to reach remote control for your mother I think.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis