S

stumpgc

Enthusiast
I was looking to upgrade my amplification. And was torn between two amps either the Harmon Kardon signature 2.1 or the B&k av5000 series 2. I'm running Martin Logan Montages for fronts and ML encores for the center and surrounds. However I would like to upgrade the fronts to either the Motion 10's or 12's soon. And then possibly add some bi/dipole surrounds for the back. I have a old velodyne sub-woofer. So the fronts would be crossed over for bass duties. And then I would just run the surrounds with the receiver. Thanks Greg

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Why those two amps? Price range? Two channel or three channel? What other brands have you looked at?

S

stumpgc

Enthusiast
found one on CL and a friend has the other. I'm on a budget would like to keep it under $500. Would like to get at least a 4-6 channel amp for that.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I just reread your original post, you're running two bookshelves as your center?

S

stumpgc

Enthusiast
no one encore speaker for center and 2 others for surrounds.

S

stumpgc

Enthusiast
no I was going to upgrade to 7.1. Eventually anyway. I'm looking for a decent 5-7 channel amp in the $500 range. The would improve upon my Onkyo's receivers performance. Like I said I would like to purchase some bi/dipole surrounds soon. Our living room is odd shaped and so I would like a little more power. 20' across the front with the tv and fronts and 18' wide and then on the back wall it has a open hall way that 9' x 9'.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
A good 5 channel amp that will meaningfully improve upon the average receiver for $500 is tough. I don't think you've said, but what receiver do you have?

EDIT: I see you said Onkyo, but not the model number.

Last edited:
S

stumpgc

Enthusiast
An onkyo 807. Just doesn't seem to drive the Montages very well, so maybe I'll just get a stereo amp.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
An onkyo 807. Just doesn't seem to drive the Montages very well, so maybe I'll just get a stereo amp.
If that's the case, there are a plethora of stereo amps out there. What would be your budget for the stereo amp?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis