Amplifier cutting out

M

mkissner

Audiophyte
I am running a multi-room system (8 speakers) with a Rotel pre-amp and amp rated at 100 watts per channel @4 ohms. The Rotel is a 5.1 system set to front channels only.

The system was cutting out for a few seconds about once per song. I replaced the Niles speaker selection switch and the system still is cutting out but less frequently. Note that I have the pre-amp volume at about 75% of max. Is the amp the problem, and if so what do you recommend. Thanks for the help!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I am running a multi-room system (8 speakers) with a Rotel pre-amp and amp rated at 100 watts per channel @4 ohms. The Rotel is a 5.1 system set to front channels only.

The system was cutting out for a few seconds about once per song. I replaced the Niles speaker selection switch and the system still is cutting out but less frequently. Note that I have the pre-amp volume at about 75% of max. Is the amp the problem, and if so what do you recommend. Thanks for the help!
Does your Niles selector have adjustable impedance matching?
How many speakers are you playing at the same time when it cuts out?

M

mkissner

Audiophyte
The Niles does have impedance matching and I have the protection switch activiated. I play all 4 zones (8 speakers) at the same time. Note that I had a previous AMP (Yamaha) and never had this problem. It just began when I connected the Rotel????

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The Niles does have impedance matching and I have the protection switch activiated. I play all 4 zones (8 speakers) at the same time. Note that I had a previous AMP (Yamaha) and never had this problem. It just began when I connected the Rotel????
Obviously the Rotel does not like the load of those 8 speakers. Remember impedance matching devices waste a lot of power. When you run four rooms at once it really becomes a background system. If you want power you really need a dual channel power amp for every speaker pair.

Is the Rotel amp, one of their class D amps? If so that is likely your problem. Class D amps do not do well with complex loads like that.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

You need more power and a more stable amp, if you expect to be able to run it at 75%. Also, turn the protection switch off- that acts as a shunt when it activates.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You are also limited by how much power the Niles speaker selector can handle.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis