Amplifier and Preamp

H

HappyFish10

Audiophyte
Hi all,

In searching for setting up for a good audio system, I run into this website and I like the information provided here, so here I am for seeking some help.

I would like to build a system which is reasonably good on listening to classical music(including SACDs), and also be good to play movie.

The room is 13 ft(w) * 19 ft(l)*8.5ft(h). And there are two small windows on the front side along with fireplace that I intended to put TV on this side. Left hand side, there are a big door, and right hand side has two panels of big windows; and the left rear side, there is an openning goes to Kitchen. I am thinking to add a good door or something here to block the kitchen noise.

Currently, the setting is receiver: Onkyo TXNR626(mostly for 4k video upconverting for a 4k TV) with old speakers 5.1 (bundled from old Onkyo THR520 receiver). I have one old pioneer sacd player and one Sony blueray , both play sacds.

2.1 Speakers:
I have auditioned some speakers, and feel like Magnepan 1.7 a lot, except for the bass part.
I am considering to buy
Speakers for 2.1 system:
Maggie 1.7 + SVS SB13 Ultra or
Maggie 1.7 + SVS SB2000

In a room like this, does it make sense to buy Maggie 3.7 or Maggie 1.7 is more than enough?

Considering classical is 80% of time, movie is 20% of time, and I do not go crazy on Bass, will SB13Ultra worth the extra than SB2000?

For surround sound speakers, I am considering add .7 later.

For music amplifier, I am hesitating between
Emotiva XPA-2 and Bryston 4BSST2,
I read about the old version of XPA-2 has hissing noise, how about the 2nd Generation? I read so many good reviews on XPA-2, amazon is giving it 5 stars out of 5. If there is hissing noise, then I wont consider XPA-2. If the music presentation is significantly different, ie, the clarity and positioning is not comparable with Bryston, I will skip XPA-2 also.

For preamp, do I need to buy Conrad-Johnson ET3 or just Emotiva XSP-1 is good enough? I do not want to have one component is an overkill or a roadblock.

If I want to play movie, and using these 2.1 speakers, should I buy a new receiver that have preamp outputs for front speakers and subwoofer, so the stereo amplifier can picked up the front speakers signal?

Any experience? Suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance.

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
I have had an XPA-3 gen 2 and did not have any hiss with my Klipsch, so i think they are just fine. The XPA-2 is actually a different beast than the XPA-3/5/7 and is a really well designed 2 channel amp. I recently setup a Marantz AV7002 and Outlaw 7500 and have been real happy. Outlaw is also a nice product made by ATI. Another option for a preamp is to save money with something like a Denon 4520 AVR with analog outs. You get XT32 with dual sub eq for about 1/2 the cost of a 7702. I am a fan of a good auto eq, so XT32 was important and dual sub eq works well with dual subs.

If going with SVS, I would personally stick with their Ultra stuff, really over engineered and well built . Also look into Rythmik for well designed and accurate sealed (musical) subs.

H

HappyFish10

Audiophyte
Thanks, elwaylite.
yes, I am entertaining the idea of a preamp out AVR, I will replace the onkyo tx-nr626 with a Onkyo tx-nr838, was told 838 can handle 4 ohm speakers like Maggie 1.7 and also has preamp output. Though, I am still planning to get a good stereo amplifier for music.

H

HappyFish10

Audiophyte
One more question, anyone has experience/information on a good match of center channel speaker for Maggie 1.7?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
One more question, anyone has experience/information on a good match of center channel speaker for Maggie 1.7?
doesn't Magnapan make a center channel speaker? Using a non-planar speaker for the center might be problematic.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ATI said many times that thou I does make amps for Outlaw they are not identical to ATI own amps.
Still Outlaw is as close you can get to reference level ATI amp without paying the price.

If you like Maggi's sound profile you're definitely going to need an outboard amp capable of 2ohm stable output - Maggi's are about opposite from Klipsch in sense of demands on amp.

You should talk to Magneplan to find a matching center (not sure which one).

Idea of using Denon or Marantz mid-hi range receiver with pre-outs is very good one. Best of all worlds.
XT32 system with SubEQ (for dual subs) is the way to go.

As for amp - you can get away with XPA-3 for centers and use AVR's amps to power surrounds (you could reuse existing old speaker)

and as for subs, SVS are great subs, but this one dollar for dollar is better value:
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

Get a pair of these (HSU will probably help on the price for two) and you'd very happy

H

HappyFish10

Audiophyte
doesn't Magnapan make a center channel speaker? Using a non-planar speaker for the center might be problematic.
Thanks for the hint, I just search and found Magnepan CC5 or MMG to be potential candidates.

On the preamp, maybe also consider Bryston BP 26, if i go with Bryston 4BSST2.

H

HappyFish10

Audiophyte
ATI said many times that thou I does make amps for Outlaw they are not identical to ATI own amps.
Still Outlaw is as close you can get to reference level ATI amp without paying the price.

If you like Maggi's sound profile you're definitely going to need an outboard amp capable of 2ohm stable output - Maggi's are about opposite from Klipsch in sense of demands on amp.

You should talk to Magneplan to find a matching center (not sure which one).

Idea of using Denon or Marantz mid-hi range receiver with pre-outs is very good one. Best of all worlds.
XT32 system with SubEQ (for dual subs) is the way to go.

As for amp - you can get away with XPA-3 for centers and use AVR's amps to power surrounds (you could reuse existing old speaker)

and as for subs, SVS are great subs, but this one dollar for dollar is better value:

Get a pair of these (HSU will probably help on the price for two) and you'd very happy

Thanks, I noticed you mentioned only Denon and Marantz, but for me, Onkyo 838 is the easiest path, it has the 7.2 preouts and can handle 4 ohm, is there any significant problem with this amplifier?
Are you suggesting XPA-3 is better choice than XPA-2 for Stereo classical music?
I am not quite understand what is "XT32 system with SubEQ (for dual subs) ", however, I will check out the HSU subwoofer. Thanks again.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Simplest is not always best. I am Onkyo owner and I like to officially steer you away from that brand - recently have been way to many QA issues with ONKYO Avrs.
To add to this mess is AccuEQ - system which nowhere as capable auto room calibration compered to Audyssey XT32 - http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors
SubEQ capable models add auto calibration independently for two subs.

Some SACD disks are multi-channel, which means you'd be using center speaker as well, might as well power the center from external amp as well.

B

Big Jake

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, elwaylite.
yes, I am entertaining the idea of a preamp out AVR, I will replace the onkyo tx-nr626 with a Onkyo tx-nr838, was told 838 can handle 4 ohm speakers like Maggie 1.7 and also has preamp output. Though, I am still planning to get a good stereo amplifier for music.
I had an Onkyo TX-NR808, and while it was working I had bought another Onkyo TX-NR626 for the man cave. Then the 808 came down with the dreaded HDMI sickness, but Onkyo stepped up and paid shipping both ways to have it repaired with "upgraded parts." 6 months later is was acting up again. I took it out in the driveway and smashed it with a sledge hammer. First receiver I'd ever had in my life that had problems. Meanwhile the 626 developed video problems so I gave that to my neighbor to use in his shop as a man cave stereo, no monitor. I have returned to Denon.

H

HappyFish10

Audiophyte
Simplest is not always best. I am Onkyo owner and I like to officially steer you away from that brand - recently have been way to many QA issues with ONKYO Avrs.
To add to this mess is AccuEQ - system which nowhere as capable auto room calibration compered to Audyssey XT32 - http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors
SubEQ capable models add auto calibration independently for two subs.

Some SACD disks are multi-channel, which means you'd be using center speaker as well, might as well power the center from external amp as well.
Thanks, The reason I planned to stick with Onkyo is 1. I can trade in my old Onkyo for 838, 2. The 4K video upconvertion function from Onkyo was the best one when I read it last time. It seems like onkyo is indeed having quality problem. Maybe I should just dump these old Onkyos and starting other avrs.

Yes, I had 5.1 system for SACD, but now I am lost for how to do 2.1,home theater and sacd setting all together in one room and utilize the front speakers. Anyone has information how you guys listen to multichannel sacd now? Just convert them into home theater settings? Or just stereos?
Thanks.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would not give much weight to 4k upconvertion

B

Big Jake

Junior Audioholic
I would not give much weight to 4k upconvertion
I got a chance to see the new LG OLED 65" at a Best Buy Magnolia Home Theater Design, and they were playing an animated bluray movie on an oppo BDP-105. Not sure if they were using the upscaling in the oppo or the TV, but the picture was stunning to say the least. Was sure better than my HDTV and my oppo BDP-105D. I would surely love to buy myself that new LG as a Christmas present to myself this year, but at ten grand a pop, that's iffy. I think I'll wait until the price comes down on OLED. I see Panasonic has one coming out too.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OLED is the key word here, not 4k, and yes - oled is one of most promising monitor techs out there now

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a chance to see the new LG OLED 65" at a Best Buy Magnolia Home Theater Design, and they were playing an animated bluray movie on an oppo BDP-105. Not sure if they were using the upscaling in the oppo or the TV, but the picture was stunning to say the least. Was sure better than my HDTV and my oppo BDP-105D. I would surely love to buy myself that new LG as a Christmas present to myself this year, but at ten grand a pop, that's iffy. I think I'll wait until the price comes down on OLED. I see Panasonic has one coming out too.
I agree with BSA, it is OLED that matters, not the 105 or 105D. Back to the OP, Onkyo's mid range receivers historically offer excellent video upscaling quality on bench tests but to most people upconverting/upscaling by AVRs are not really important or hardly a factor for purchase decision any more. I turned off whatever I could on my AV8801 and wish I could turn everything off, but then the onscreen display would not work.:rolleyes:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the hint, I just search and found Magnepan CC5 or MMG to be potential candidates.

On the preamp, maybe also consider Bryston BP 26, if i go with Bryston 4BSST2.
Then you will pay a lot for reliability but not audible sound quality unless you have those so call golden ears. If you can get by with the features offer by the AVR-4520, just pick one up from Amazon.com, add a 2 or 3 channel power amp and you will be at or pass the point of diminishing return in terms of sound quality for your system in your room. The 4520 has the XT32 and Sub EQ HT that should give you the flexibility, or if you do not prefer REQ you can use the bypass feature for the front LR and still engage DEQ for low to medium/normal listening SPL, or turn it off completely.

B

Big Jake

Junior Audioholic
OLED is the key word here, not 4k, and yes - oled is one of most promising monitor techs out there now
True that, ORGANIC Light Emitting Diode. My Samsung Galaxy S5 has an OLED display.

The absolute deep blacks are what make OLED pop.

So BSA, are you by chance "Mac..." on another board? You have the exactly same avatar pic.

B

Big Jake

Junior Audioholic
I agree with BSA, it is OLED that matters, not the 105 or 105D. Back to the OP, Onkyo's mid range receivers historically offer excellent video upscaling quality on bench tests but to most people upconverting/upscaling by AVRs are not really important or hardly a factor for purchase decision any more. I turned off whatever I could on my AV8801 and wish I could turn everything off, but then the onscreen display would not work.:rolleyes:
I owned two Onkyo's, the only two I've ever owned, and they both failed. I liked the green display. Reminded me of Macs, and the front panels are a little busy I think with all the exposed buttons. I'll never own one again. It appears others here have had better luck with them. I think that's great, but myself I'd steer people away from Onkyo to just about anything else, Denon being my preference.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
True that, ORGANIC Light Emitting Diode. My Samsung Galaxy S5 has an OLED display.

The absolute deep blacks are what make OLED pop.

So BSA, are you by chance "Mac..." on another board? You have the exactly same avatar pic.
Nope, I try to stick to same name across boards

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis