C

Cepheus1339

Audiophyte
Hi, just a heads up, im new to this, so dont mind me if i say anything silly.

I recently bought an amplifier, Lepy LP-2020A+, and i wish to hook it up to a raw speaker driver. This driver so happens to be a 4 ohm one, and from what i have read, they can be power hungry. Will it do any harm to my amp? The amp states that speakers hooked up to it can have an impedance rating of 4-8 ohms. Thanks

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why would you want to power bare driver in first place? And what kind of speaker we are talking about? As for speaker impedance the amp should be fine, but without knowing what kind of speaker we are talking about it is hard to say how well it is able to drive the speaker. Pushing amp over its limit might cause damage to amp however.

C

Cepheus1339

Audiophyte
Its for a personal project you see... Now about this speaker, its a mystery-MB QUART QM130. I cant find its specifications anywhere, neither does it exist on the company's website. On the basket it states that power handling is 40-100W. My amp has an output of 20W rms

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just keep the volume low. You may drive the amp into clipping, particularly if you try to get any bass from that raw driver.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The MB Quart QM 130 is a midbass driver from an automotive component speaker system. It's going to sound quite poor. The component system would have come with a separate tweeter and external crossover component.

C

Cepheus1339

Audiophyte
Thanks seth, it seems to sound quite well with a box i made, it can produce highs quite well, as well as bass

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis