N

newbieneedhelp

Audiophyte
Hey guys new to the board and pretty new to home stereo in general. I'm currently building out my stereo that I want to put into my basement. Going to go with a 7.2 setup, well technically 7.1 but with two subs connected to one output. My problem is my in-wall subs are passive so I need to run power to them through an amp. The subs have an 80 watt RMS rating at 8 Ohm. Since they're going to be connected to the same outlet I was planning on wiring them parallel. With them at parallel I know the ohm load would be 4 correct? What size amp or does anyone have any amp suggestions I should use to make sure they're powered correctly? The other 7 speakers in the setup will be powered by my receiver. Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
My problem is my in-wall subs are passive so I need to run power to them through an amp. The subs have an 80 watt RMS rating at 8 Ohm. Since they're going to be connected to the same outlet I was planning on wiring them parallel. With them at parallel I know the ohm load would be 4 correct?
Now the deal with passive subs is that it's possible to over drive them with signal, especially if they are vented where they will unload below the tuning frequency.

What I would do is not run them in parallel but rather to a 2-channel amp so that you can set their phase and response independantly for best response.

A 2-channel, 200wpc amp like this:

Crown XLS 1000 | Sweetwater.com

will do the job. Again though, running passive subs without a high pass filter can be pretty risky because movie soundtracks can ask for 110+db content below 20hz. Fine for music where the subs will never exceed the main speakers, though.

Could you give us more information about the subwoofers being used?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis