Amp Suggestions for Denon AVR-3311CI

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I just got my Denon AVR-3311CI, and want to spend $1K or so on an Amp for it. Running Klipsch RF-82 Reference Series (5 speakers), and dual subs (12" and 15"). Room size is 18 x 22 x 9+. Looking at the EMO XPA-5, at around $900. Playing mostly Music with it, and LoverBoy does not have the Punch I want with just the Denon, as I feel it is loading down when I drive it up to 0db.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Are you listening in 2 channel stereo?

What is your seating distance?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would make an offer of $1,100 for this ATI AT3002 amp from an ATI authorized dealer w/ 7 yrs warranty (10/10 condition means it will look and smell brand new):

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1301241599

That is what I'm using (AT3002/AT3005) with my Denon AVP-A1HDCI & AVR-5308CI.

The specs says 300 watts into 8 ohms, but that is very conservative rating, meaning it is more like 350+ watts into 8 ohms.

These are the same amps as the Lexicon 300 watts per channel amps.

But that Emotiva should be okay as well.

Oh, yeah, I'm assuming you are listening to music in 2.0 or 2.1?

jinjuku

jinjuku

With a speaker that is 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m I am surprised the Denon isn't cutting it.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Am listening in mode Multi Ch. Stereo, as to me it just fills up room more. Have tried 2.1, but to me just not enough in room. I also like the Virtual DSP Mode which doesn't sound to bad either. Some songs off of Pandora, like LoverBoy that I thought would kick it up, just are lacking in any mode so it seems to me. The EMO XPA-5 new is $900, and back ordered, and will drive 200 Watts RMS at 8 Ohms into all five speakers. Seating is 10 ft. from the CC/TV.

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy -- Thank you.

But the ATI is only two channels, right? That is why I am looking at the EMO XPA-5 then I can drive all five channels. But WOW the specs on the ATI look awesome! But then I would need another amp to get up to 7.1. I was planning on running the FL/C/FR/FWL/FWR, off of the EMO XPA-5, and then later add the SL/SR to the Denon.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy -- BTW, looks like you have a VTI rack. I was thinking of that one also, but want it to be able to handle a couple shelves that are around 10" each on bottom if I end up expanding to another big amp at around 7.75" high. Is it totally modular so you can scale up with it as you add? Do you like the VTI rack? Was considering this one, VTI - BL404 - BL Series 4-Shelf Audio Rack. Where is the best place to purchase it online?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Am listening in mode Multi Ch. Stereo, as to me it just fills up room more. Have tried 2.1, but to me just not enough in room. I also like the Virtual DSP Mode which doesn't sound to bad either. Some songs off of Pandora, like LoverBoy that I thought would kick it up, just are lacking in any mode so it seems to me. The EMO XPA-5 new is $900, and back ordered, and will drive 200 Watts RMS at 8 Ohms into all five speakers. Seating is 10 ft. from the CC/TV.
Multi-ch stereo is for low volume only. This information should be in your manual.

For surround music, you may want to try SACD/DVD-A/DTS 5.1.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know how your system is set-up, but you may not have it set-up correctly.

Set all speakers to SMALL.

Set x-over points for all speakers according to F3 x 1.4 rounded up.

Example. Klipsch RF-82 33Hz-23kHz+/-3dB

So 33 x 1.4=46.2 (x-over 50-60)

These settings will re-route the lf in 2-channel such as your Loverboy cd to the subs. Should give you the punch you are looking for.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Multi-ch stereo is for low volume only. This information should be in your manual.

For surround music, you may want to try SACD/DVD-A/DTS 5.1.
Thanks, and as a newbie to this stuff -- help me understand about SACD, etc. in re: to setting the Denon AVR to hear this stuff, when all I am doing is listening to Pandora (2.1) streaming into the Denon via HDMI off of my LG BD-590 Wifi player. Obviously, I need alot of help here, since just getting into this hobby. I guess we all started somewhere in Audio and Video.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Yep, with speakers that are around 88dB / 1m / 1 watt 4ohm.
So with the higher sensitivity of the Klipsch's you don't think I would buy much with an EMO XPA-5 vs. just running them off the Denon AVR-3311CI?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, and as a newbie to this stuff -- help me understand about SACD, etc. in re: to setting the Denon AVR to hear this stuff, when all I am doing is listening to Pandora (2.1) streaming into the Denon via HDMI off of my LG BD-590 Wifi player. Obviously, I need alot of help here, since just getting into this hobby. I guess we all started somewhere in Audio and Video.
SACD is not a setting, and something you may want to get into later.:)

First, lets just start with basic set-up options I posted in reply #10.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

How much setup have you done as far as speaker distance, etc? I have a Denon AVR-990 and I think Pandora generally sounds pretty good, although some music clearly needed to be mastered better. Make these changes in stereo mode first and add the other channels after. I would also make sure you don't have any room mode issues.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So with the higher sensitivity of the Klipsch's you don't think I would buy much with an EMO XPA-5 vs. just running them off the Denon AVR-3311CI?
Correct. I just want you to be aware that if you did get an external amp it may not make a huge amount of difference for you given the efficiency of the speakers and your seating distance.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I don't know how your system is set-up, but you may not have it set-up correctly.

Set all speakers to SMALL.

Set x-over points for all speakers according to F3 x 1.4 rounded up.

Example. Klipsch RF-82 33Hz-23kHz+/-3dB

So 33 x 1.4=46.2 (x-over 50-60)

These settings will re-route the lf in 2-channel such as your Loverboy cd to the subs. Should give you the punch you are looking for.
Changed over to STEREO -- starting to love this stuff in Stereo, away from Multi-Ch. Stereo (Sounds like sound is coming from CC, but not per AVR output lights on front - very interesting).

And I am sure I don't have it setup correctly yet, still learning the AVR.

My FL/FR was set to LARGE -- chg'd. to Small
SW Mode = LFE
LPF for LFE = 80 Hz. (Same as Xover on physical Subs)
XOver goes from 40, then next is 60 -- should I set it for 40 or 60 Hz.?
DynEQ = ON
DynVOL = OFF

Much better, any other suggestions. Thank you.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Correct. I just want you to be aware that if you did get an external amp it may not make a huge amount of difference for you given the efficiency of the speakers and your seating distance.
Well, when it's (EMO XPA-5) up and warm, will let ya know for sure.
Maybe it will crack some dishes or window glass, [Grins]...

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
If your receiver has a LFE x-over setting, set it to 120. It's a long story, but it's correct.

As for x-over, and you can only choose one for the whole system, it depends on your center channel.

What is it?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Let's think about this.

1) The speakers have a very high sensitivity @1w 1m.

2) You add more power.

3) Aren't they going to respond more to the added power than a less efficient speaker?:D;)

4) However, I agree the power is not needed. Looks like we have a set-up issue.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis