Amp setting- Computer audio

N

newtoaudio90

Enthusiast
Hi guys

As some of you may know I have been waiting on a new system for some time for my PC.

Today I got my PSB image B5s with topping TP20 working and its great :).

Anyway- random question. I have never had speakers of this level attached to a PC (infact have never had speakers and amp running to a PC).

That being said- seeing you can adjust volume with both the PC controls AND by turning up the amp how high would you leave the amp set?

I figure- turn it up most of the way and then control with the PC?

Would leaving the amp turned down a little be a 'safety mechanism' in that even if I put the speakers up to thier max volume through the PC, it wouldnt damage them (within reason ).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi guys

As some of you may know I have been waiting on a new system for some time for my PC.

Today I got my PSB image B5s with topping TP20 working and its great :).

Anyway- random question. I have never had speakers of this level attached to a PC (infact have never had speakers and amp running to a PC).

That being said- seeing you can adjust volume with both the PC controls AND by turning up the amp how high would you leave the amp set?

I figure- turn it up most of the way and then control with the PC?

Would leaving the amp turned down a little be a 'safety mechanism' in that even if I put the speakers up to thier max volume through the PC, it wouldnt damage them (within reason ).
This is more of a computer question and I think you will have someone else respond here that knows more than me.

I believe the general rule is to leave the computer volume maxed out and control the volume with the amp instead. The reason is that the computer controls volume in the digital domain and thus you actually lose resolution at lower volumes. The amp will control the volume in the analog domain. Any signal attenuation is better to do in the analog domain. If you are playing lower quality MP3s, then you may not even notice the difference though.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I believe the general rule is to leave the computer volume maxed out and control the volume with the amp instead. The reason is that the computer controls volume in the digital domain and thus you actually lose resolution at lower volumes.
This depends on what sort of stepped attenuator is being used and also if you are using the Microsoft audio stack or ASIO and a good pro audio card.

Need more information about the setup. Even with my EMU I have the amp set and forget.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's always going to be best to control with the amp, but the computer volume setting will change depending upon your setup. If you're using a digital interconnect to the amp then you'll want to keep the computer volume maxed. If you're using an analog interconnect and a very good output, still have the computer volume maxed. Lower quality analog outs on computers can add audible distortion when called on for their maximum volume so setting them around 3/4 is generally best.

Ultimately though if you just play around and find what works best in your own setup you can't be wrong really. If setting and forgetting the amp and controlling on the computer sounds fine to you and is more convenient, go for it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's always going to be best to control with the amp, but the computer volume setting will change depending upon your setup. If you're using a digital interconnect to the amp then you'll want to keep the computer volume maxed. If you're using an analog interconnect and a very good output, still have the computer volume maxed. Lower quality analog outs on computers can add audible distortion when called on for their maximum volume so setting them around 3/4 is generally best.

Ultimately though if you just play around and find what works best in your own setup you can't be wrong really. If setting and forgetting the amp and controlling on the computer sounds fine to you and is more convenient, go for it.
You have to watch giving blanket advise on a class of product that covers a wide swath of function.

If the OP picked up an ASIO driven Pro-Audio Mastering Grade sound devise your advise wouldn't hold since a lot of them use a quality stepped digital attenuator. They are made to be used in the mastering studio. I'll let people draw the obvious conclusion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis