Amp occasionally doesn't play left channel

jhigh2000

jhigh2000

Audiophyte
Proton Amp occasionally doesn't play left channel

I have an old Proton D540 amplifier that has recently started acting up. It occasionally cuts off the left channel, or gets really staticy sounding. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's worst when I adjust the volume. I can temporarily fix it by pressing the stereo/mono button several time on the front of the unit. Any ideas as to what the cause could be? I've checked all connections and everything is solid.

Since I'll probably end up replacing the amp (unless it's inexpensive to fix), what would be the equivalent of the Proton D540? This is for a dedicated music-only room, so I don't need video or and A/V receiver.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
d540

That is a good amp. I've had a couple of problems with my RCA inputs on mine. Yours sounds like it just needs cleaned. Proton made really good amp sections, but the preamps were junk. Get some contact cleaner/lube open it up and spray all of the pot's. There is a little hole in each one you can spray in. I think that unit has preamp inputs doesnt it? you could also grab an adcom or any 2 chan pre-ampoff of e-bay for a reasonable amount.

jhigh2000

jhigh2000

Audiophyte
MacManNM,

Thanks for your reply. I've never had an opportunity to open an amp up before (I've done CD player and lot's of computer components and power supplies), but I'll give it a shot. Would you be willing to give me a few more pointers in the proper cleaning technique? Which components I should focus on, how long I need to let it dry, etc? Much appreciated!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis