Amp for Onix RS550 MKII

M

mmmmcheese

Audiophyte
Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and speaker type stuff. I am frequently on Headfi.org though. Anyway I will be getting a two channel music setup in my bedroom and I have decided to get the Onix Rocket RS550 MKII. I am still not sure on what amp to get. My dad has an old Son of Ampzilla that has a blow channel I think. ( My brother accidently was playing with the volume on a preamp and left it at max, then someone wanted a listen and it blew.) The meter lights also do not work. Would it be worth it to fix that amp or should I just get something like a Hafler DH 200 or DH 220?

Give me some recomendations on amps in the $200-$300 range. I am what you would call a basshead lol. I like good tight, puchy, deep, powerful bass. Mids and highs I like to be forward and very slightly bright. I have an older NAD 1020 preamp that I will use with it.

Thanks alot,
Mitch

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You might consider going for a B-Stock Onix Integrated amp, also from AV123. They have their 60-watt integrated for $300. Plus, the bass and mid regions are bumped up slightly for a warmer sound as well as punchy bass.

Of course, this might not be enough power for you. In this case, a good Hafler amp, or maybe a vintage Harman Citation would do the trick. Check out Audiogon, they usually have some decent stuff in your price range. Ebay is another good source too.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, they do. I'm not sure about the modded one, but it should be fine. Hafler makes "Tank Amps". They aren't pretty, but they have rock-solid build quality and will run forever. Either one will work well, but mind you they have a very flat response, which means no bass or midrange boost. Power wise though, they will deliver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis