Amp and network solutions

Q

quantaloup

Audiophyte
Hi everyone!

Hi-fi newbie here.

I bought a set of Energy CF-30s, a Energy CC-10 center speaker, and a esw-C10 sub from a friend, who was letting the whole set go for peanuts. I will replace my H/K SB-16 soundbar with this and use the soundbar on another TV.

Now I need to find a proper amp. The thing is, I've been wanting to find a solution for streaming my gigantic collection of mp3s/flacs straight to my home audio system. Lots of options. Here's what I'm looking for :

- Apple-less solution (eliminates AirPlay, AppleTV)
- Choosing an album/playlist straight from my android phone/independent remote (Sonos, Squeezebox, etc.) ideally by browsing through the files stored on my external HD.
- Minimal sound quality loss

I've just started reading on those network-ready Pioneer and Yamaha receivers. Anybody has experience streaming files from a PC to these receivers?

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Q

quantaloup

Audiophyte
Also, what do you think about simply buying a DLNA approved receiver + downloading BubbleUPNP app for android. Would this setup work? Anybody has experience streaming their music collection stored on a PC directly to the receiver, but using BubbleUPNP on an Android phone as a remote control? Is there a "play to : receiver, play from : pc" kind of option?

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
I used to have a Yamaha rxv 2700 and used it for steaming my wav files . The GPS was quite antiquated and it would give me issues if I changed pages to quickly . Keep in mind the 2700 was there first attempt at a network receiver , and I never bothered with any firmware updates.
I now have a marrantz av7005 and the gpu is much nicer and works with no issues . I used to use a computer but not only have to use a network drive to communicate with the av7005 processor . I only listen to wav files because I hate compression , but I swear I notice a little less sound quality compared to the original cd . Maybe it's in my head , who knows .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, what do you think about simply buying a DLNA approved receiver + downloading BubbleUPNP app for android. Would this setup work? Anybody has experience streaming their music collection stored on a PC directly to the receiver, but using BubbleUPNP on an Android phone as a remote control? Is there a "play to : receiver, play from : pc" kind of option?
You can do that with wave and MP3. I don't think you can stream Flac directly from your PC via DLNA, but you can do it via the USB.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis