Amir of What's Best Forum debunks Audioquest and Uptone Audio

jinjuku

jinjuku

USB conditioning devices.

With so much snake oil and so little data UpTone Audio and AudioQuest where basically performing their own Volkswagen by making claims with out any data.

Amir put both the AudioQuest Jitterbug and UpTone ReGen through their paces:

Test 1: USB Power Filtering
So let’s dig in. Here is the Audioquest Jitterbug (AQ) versus straight wire connected to my laptop USB port:

Red is the Jitterbug and green is straight connection to DAC.

For the rest http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18580-Science-Thread-Review-of-Audioquest-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Amir has definitely matured in the last couple of years.

On another note, some of the Audioquest analog cables exhibit very poor engineering.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I think his banning at AVS toned him down a bit. He seems much better to stay on topic and not rely on tangential arguments.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Amir was banned at AVS? That is a shame. I have met him at a couple of audio shows, very cool and easy-going guy to talk with. His speakers are amazing as well. I like his no-BS attitude.

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's interesting to see all the gnashing of teeth of the people that have purchased the ReGen or Jitterbug in the face of the multiple measurements from multiple people.

I would like to see someone do this blind.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Amir was banned at AVS? That is a shame. I have met him at a couple of audio shows, very cool and easy-going guy to talk with. His speakers are amazing as well. I like his no-BS attitude.
His company is Madrona Digital, right?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Yep, Madrona digital.

I would have liked to see a Belkin USB hub with external power supply also tested as a comparative data point.

My issue is all the accounts are sighted listening impressions. But you can get it with a 30 day return window. Knowing how USB as a protocol works I'm dubious as to the problem of cleaning up the fixed frequency data that they provide an eye pattern for.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It's interesting to see all the gnashing of teeth of the people that have purchased the ReGen or Jitterbug in the face of the multiple measurements from multiple people.

I would like to see someone do this blind.
Not sure you can see the graph if you are blind.;) :D

Or did you really mean a listening comparison blinded? :D

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Wow, AVS lets a lot of crap go on. To get banned, you really have to be way out there. Not something a guy with an audio business should be doing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow, AVS lets a lot of crap go on. To get banned, you really have to be way out there. Not something a guy with an audio business should be doing.
I have seen people get banned over minor things and I have seen people get away with a lot. Amir was rather argumentative, but he never engaged in name-calling or personal attacks that I can remember. He brought a lot of knowledge to the forums. AVS was dumb to ban him. His soundfield speakers are very good performers.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I have seen people get banned over minor things and I have seen people get away with a lot. Amir was rather argumentative, but he never engaged in name-calling or personal attacks that I can remember. He brought a lot of knowledge to the forums. AVS was dumb to ban him. His soundfield speakers are very good performers.
You are getting Amir mixed up with Ammar (AJinFLA on many forums).

Ammar/AJ is Soundfield Audio. Amir is Madrona Digital/What's Best Forum.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You are getting Amir mixed up with Ammar (AJinFLA on many forums).

Ammar/AJ is Soundfield Audio. Amir is Madrona Digital/What's Best Forum.
You are right, I stand corrected.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I asked UpTone audio owner, Alex, if he would be willing to sit through a blinded listening session.

Amir initially asked me not to go there because he thought the thread would degrade even further. But surprisingly and refreshingly Alex said he would with his own setup, and music.

Amir has stated he would fly out to perform the testing.

Now I think Alex is either going to back track or simply stay mum or stop posting but stranger things have happened.

I would love for Gene to put one of these on his system and measure the DAC output with his AP and either corroborate or contest Amir, BE718's, or John Atkinsons AP measurements.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Ah yes, the old, "they're all the same" argument. Whether they could have heard any difference or not, it wouldn't have proved, or disproved a thing. Believe whatever makes you happy.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What I find even more interesting is that you shouldn't trust the audiophile that is scared crapless by a blind fold. If you won't trust just your ears why should anyone else?

I think him actually posting that 'It's news to me' about the fact he said he would do it blind any time any day is pretty telling.

What is even more telling is all the audiophiles that just saw this person implode are still defending him. The lies people tell themselves.

If someone went out and performed a SBT at the very least and they were able to pick it 90% it would actually prove he hears the difference and picks his own product as the preference.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Amir is very argumentative and, yes, he is afraid of bias controlled testing. There is nothing wrong with arguing but argument just for the sake of argument and argument against your own prior statements were a problem for me. I just put him on ignore. I will do the same for his forum.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis