aluminum tweeter question

J

joel

Enthusiast
Has anyone ever heard of an aluminum tweeter needing to be broken in? I have some in-ceiling speakers with aluminum tweeters that sound tinny and unrealistic but my dealer swears that if I play them for 8 hrs. and then listen to them they will out perform the silk dome tweeters that I do like. I've never heard of having to break in a speaker has anyone else?

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Break-in & burn-in are myths. The sound that you hear now is what you'll hear 8 hrs. from now. Until you become accoustomed to them, the aluminum tweets will sound tinny & bright as compared to you old silk tweets.

Paul

plhart

Audioholic
Speaker designers will usually run new woofer samples (and cone midranges too) at fairly high voltage for 20 to 40 minutes at or below their measured free air resonance using an audio oscillator. This will change the Thiel-Small parameters of the drivers very slightly. For example, the free air resonance of a 6.5" woofer might change from 48Hz to 45Hz. A 4" midrange might change from 150Hz to 145Hz. Not much.

Tweeters never ever need break-in. If you don't like the way the aluminum dome sounds, it isn't going to change with use. What might change very, very slightly is the overall system balance because the woofer's free air resonance drifts ever so slightly lower.

Other than that the whole break-it-in-and-it-will-sound-better line is nonsense routed in the psychoacoutics of the situation. It simply means that your brain adapts and becomes more tolerant of the bad sound over time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis