Alternative to True Surround...

J

JDaBod

Audioholic Intern
So now that I have, for the time being, completed my home theatre in the main living area, I would like to put something together for the bedroom. I could piece together a less significant system for the room, but I may have exhausted the tolerance of the other half in building the primary system. In lieu of 5.1 or 7.1 what is the general consensus on an alternative? A sound bar and sub system? Currently the TV in the bedroom is wired to run audio through an old Bose Wave Radio, which, according to her sounds fine, but I would like a bit more. Any suggestions?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Sound bars get the wife acceptance factor (WAF). And I actually have some non audioholic friends that like the ones they have.
But for a bedroom, I would go with a 2.1 setup. If you want WAF, buy nice bookshelves in a pleasing wood veneer. A small sub should be fine. Most here would not ever think of buying an 8" sub, but the bookshelf system I use sounds great with an 8" sub.
Aperion 8a Sub
Verus Grand Bookshelf
You could buy the 5bs for less on bookshelves.
You could spend more on a sub. Or get a second one for a 2.2 set up.
The Bravus 8a and Verus Grand together for $600 would sound nice.
You could add a center for a 3.1, too.
Good luck.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So now that I have, for the time being, completed my home theatre in the main living area, I would like to put something together for the bedroom. I could piece together a less significant system for the room, but I may have exhausted the tolerance of the other half in building the primary system. In lieu of 5.1 or 7.1 what is the general consensus on an alternative? A sound bar and sub system? Currently the TV in the bedroom is wired to run audio through an old Bose Wave Radio, which, according to her sounds fine, but I would like a bit more. Any suggestions?
You could get a decent pair of speakers. Hide a horn sub under the bud.:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Polk has a couple of surround bars which are not expensive and include a wireless subwoofer. This gives you far better audio than the built in speakers and adds a bit to the low end without breaking the bank and keeps the WAF level high for both the aesthetics and the value to the dollar.

J

JDaBod

Audioholic Intern
Thanks very much for the insight. I had considered the 2.1 option, but fear that if I come home with another receiver I may not have a home at all. Thanks for the tip on the Polk option. I noticed Boston has similar options called their TVee line. Is anyone familiar with those?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
My Situation

I guess I don't understand why your other-half feels that a receiver is so intrusive. In my very small office [smaller than many walk-in closets], I have a very unobtrusive Sony STR-DE475 receiver, a pair of Optimus ProX55AV speakers and a Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 8s. The office PC serves as the audio source. These were all yard sale items that easily netted me a 2.1 system that leaves computer speaker systems way behind. Why can't something like the Aperion 8a sub, the Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers, and a decent receiver do the job in the bedroom?

Attachments

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis