Alternative to Oppo ?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I own an Oppo and I love it, looking for a buddy that may not want to spend the money on the oppo 80 which I suggested, so I am looking for a decent alternative with good load times....

What do you guys think here... I don't follow BR players very often and I rarely ever use mine now that I stream over the network...

Thanks

Warp

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
i was fairly impressed by my Panny DMP-BD35. But the load time was always an issue. I can't speak for for the newer models, but it doubtful you'll find anything that comes close to the loadtime of the Oppo.

How much is your friend willing to spend?

R

Rmassey

Audioholic Intern
Perhaps a used Oppo... given the upcoming Oppo 93, there will prob be a few used Oppos FS soon.

if the friend does not want to spend $299 for an 80, I'll guess he's well below that price. if so, take a look at the Samsung & Panny's in the $100ish price range.

If there's no need for DVD-A or the ABT/Marvel scaler, pick a $100 BDP and call it good.

Example: Panasonic DMP-BD65 Blu-Ray Disc Player

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BD65-Blu-Ray-Player-Black/dp/B0038KN114/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290969822&sr=8-1

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The new Panasonic models load significantly faster than the last series. The ones above the DMP-BD45K have an ethernet jack for streaming, too. The DMP-BD85K comes with a WiFi dongle but it's an option for the 65.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the quick responses....

Oppo is out of stock of all their stuff right now...

I don't think he's all that much of a junky like us guys are... Just wants to have something rather then nothing.

I honestly hardly use mine at all any more, and can pretty much come to the conclusion that I don't really need my 83 as I stream everything BluRay from my 40TB server. I'm actually contemplating selling it. Not that its not the best and fastest player I have ever used, just that I can rip a DVD/BR and dump it on my server just as fast as I need it... :(

So for semi fast load times - Panny or ?

Thanks

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The new Panasonic models load significantly faster than the last series. The ones above the DMP-BD45K have an ethernet jack for streaming, too. The DMP-BD85K comes with a WiFi dongle but it's an option for the 65.
Thanks highfigh.....

I just was looking at the 85 online at panny's site, its discounted to $137.50 seems to be a good deal right now direct.

Its $180 on Amazon.....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I REALLY HATE manufacturers who discount their products to the point that it's not worth my time and effort to sell them. :mad::mad::mad:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks highfigh.....

I just was looking at the 85 online at panny's site, its discounted to $137.50 seems to be a good deal right now direct.

Its $180 on Amazon.....
Buy it. Now. Trust Me.

As long as he doesn't care about extra streaming features, where you may look towards other brands like LG.

The 85 uses the same VP as the 65, but it still does better with SD upconversion because it deinterlaces before doing the chroma upsampling.

The preouts are a nice bonus just in case he lands some great deal on a high quality legacy processor/receiver. Yeah, the 85 doesn't have the greatest BM, but it's still well worth at least* $5 more to have.

I may be very similar to your friend in not caring at all about upconversion nor mch analogs, but even I would happily splurge the extra $10-15 or whatever it is, over the 65, right now.

Tell your buddy that meat gives him the go ahead and stamp of approval. :)

@highfigh, sorry if you did or wanted to carry Pana. I have bought Pana from both zon and direct, but I have given much of my money to dealers too. The way I look at it, I'd rather them buy the value player and get better speakers, processors, amps, which I'm sure you have plenty of. What I don't like is when someone gets entry level speakers coupled to a $500-700 Oppo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, buy it now because the price will go back up. This week should be the lowest it will be for a while.

I have a 65 in addition to my Oppo and I am very pleased with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis