Alternative for Emotiva XPA-2 Amp

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't know, I keep all my stuff in a cabinet. Not on display between speakers sitting there in the sound stage mucking it up.
Whatever...you do it your way and I'll do mine...my way!

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I think after this many times I would have them replace or refund the unit.
Just tried to call them again. No answer, so I left a message.. Maybe a bigger dog will do something..
They did pay the freight back this time so that saved me 60 bucks.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just tried to call them again. No answer, so I left a message.. Maybe a bigger dog will do something..
They did pay the freight back this time so that saved me 60 bucks.
How old is the unit? How well documented is this back and forth process? You have 2 years on credit cards to reverse the charges if you can supply your cards issuing bank enough detailed information to win the dispute. You could always let Emotiva know that is what you will do unless furnished with a brand new unit.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I own 2 xpa2's {both gen ones} the one i use most is 2 years old no issues as of yet, that sucks, sounds like you got a lemon, they should be responsible for it, I would call until you get an answer...

Anyway, I have tried many many amps, as far as pro audio goes, I don't like worrying about tweeters {the entire class d thing could be a myth, but its still in my head}, they are ugly, have lights all over them {some do some dont}, no triggers, cooling fans, then you have the entire preamp impedance issue, also aesthetics {I like my systems to look nice}, ect.. I own some proamps, but I prefer amps made for home audio in my home audio systems.....

If you want to get away from the emo stuff, I think the outlaw mono's would be the next best bet, B stock can get you a par for $560 or so, I have 2 in my 2.2 system, and I love them, mono blocks are my preference for music only systems {no cross talk, whether the amount a stereo amp has is audible or not, mono blocks must have less rite?}

jinjuku

jinjuku

I don't like worrying about tweeters {the entire class d thing could be a myth, but its still in my head}
Not sure what you mean by tweeters and current or even last generation Class D. What amps in particular.

then you have the entire preamp impedance issue, also aesthetics
What issues? What pre-amps? What amps?

Sorry to stand up and point all this out but it's pure ignorance to make such blatant, blanket, statements like this.

I think the USP-1 has 4V RMS on it's output. More than enough. Not sure how pre-amp impedance issues only suffer with a pro-audio amp using either XLR or RCA but not a consumer amp using XLR or RCA. Do the engineers doing consumer I/O know something the engineers doing pro-audio don't?

And before any one else starts accusing me of mentioning Pro-Audio: Ask yourself one question: Why not? I mean this is the stuff music is played back on at a venue and mixed on in the studio.

If it's aesthetics that's fine. It's all in the Eye of the beholder. Plenty of people have called Emotiva gear garish and ugly.

I personally like the look of the Yamaha P/S series:

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I did. And they won't. I was even asking if they would do it for a fee...
Buy a Gen 2 and sell that one ;)

If looking used, perhaps a pair of Marantz MA700 monos (THX Ultra cert)? I used to run a full set of MA500s and they were solid. I do like monos too and though I haven't tried them, I'd agree with the 2200s.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure what you mean by tweeters and current or even last generation Class D. What amps in particular.

What issues? What pre-amps? What amps?

Sorry to stand up and point all this out but it's pure ignorance to make such blatant, blanket, statements like this.

I think the USP-1 has 4V RMS on it's output. More than enough. Not sure how pre-amp impedance issues only suffer with a pro-audio amp using either XLR or RCA but not a consumer amp using XLR or RCA. Do the engineers doing consumer I/O know something the engineers doing pro-audio don't?

And before any one else starts accusing me of mentioning Pro-Audio: Ask yourself one question: Why not? I mean this is the stuff music is played back on at a venue and mixed on in the studio.

If it's aesthetics that's fine. It's all in the Eye of the beholder. Plenty of people have called Emotiva gear garish and ugly.

I personally like the look of the Yamaha P/S series:

Hey Jin, don't take it as a blast to you, I was just stating why I don't use them for home audio... Some people love them, I just put the reasons I don't...

LIKE I SAID IT MAY BE A MYTH, but most have heard the class d is no good for your tweeters.. if you have no idea what i am talking about and have no clue or have never heard that class D hurts tweeters, google "class D Tweeter" or "DC offset harms tweeters".... As far as the input stuff, again go to google and check it out, some people have problems wih some preamps and pa amps, its not a secret....

I simply made a list of reasons I dont use the pro amps any more... I bought them, I own a behringer, a crown xls1500, xls2500, an older crown and a pair of peavey or EV I forget that I use on my outdoor party system...

Again not trying to start an argument, just giving my experience... I see where you are coming from I wouldn't want anyone to bag on my recs either but that is life, some may like pro amps {acu def} and some may not. I like mine, obviously spent money on them, but now use something different, not a big deal, nothing to get excited over....
I know people that use car amps with a 12v power supply to power home audio speakers, that is there preference so why not, an amp is an amp...
my cousin runs his 5.1 from one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SOUNDSTREAM-STL6-620-620-WATT-RMS-6-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-CAR-STEREO-AUDIO-AMP-/161070519160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25808d1378 he has a 12v power supply powering it, you can not tell his surround sound is being powered by a car amp, his actually looks pretty cool all set up, he has is bolted to the side of his entertainment center on the wall side and it has been like that for a long time...

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Hey Jin, don't take it as a blast to you, I was just stating why I don't use them for home audio... Some people love them, I just put the reasons I don't...
I'm not. What I am asking for clarification.

LIKE I SAID IT MAY BE A MYTH, but most have heard the class d is no good for your tweeters.. if you have no idea what i am talking about and have no clue or have never heard that class D hurts tweeters, google "class D Tweeter" or "DC offset harms tweeters".... As far as the input stuff, again go to google and check it out, some people have problems wih some preamps and pa amps, its not a secret....
Problems with Pre's and pa-amps? That's not a the sole domain of pro amps. This can certainly happen, and does, with consumer gear. All the time. Gene posted how he chased Yamaha for years to up their pre output voltage.

DC ripple can harm drivers yes. But it's not the exclusive domain of Class D. Even in the hey day of amps like Crowns K1/K2 series (Mid 90's) I never heard of tweeters being blown out. When I picked up my Parasound and Carvers I tested for uniform channel bias and any DC offset. And these a your classic AB style amps.

I simply made a list of reasons I dont use the pro amps any more... I bought them, I own a behringer, a crown xls1500, xls2500, an older crown and a pair of peavey or EV I forget that I use on my outdoor party system...
In what way are you having impedance miss-match with the output of your Pre and the input on the pro amps?

Again not trying to start an argument, just giving my experience... I see where you are coming from I wouldn't want anyone to bag on my recs either but that is life, some may like pro amps {acu def} and some may not. I like mine, obviously spent money on them, but now use something different, not a big deal, nothing to get excited over....
I know people that use car amps with a 12v power supply to power home audio speakers, that is there preference so why not, an amp is an amp...
Honestly I believe my rejoinder to you is being over thought by you. I am asking for particulars based on what you said. This does help the OP. I've simply made recommendations that the OP TRY this or that amp.

We both have had hands on Pro and Home Audio styled amps. I don't think there is this wide spread performance and connectivity issue people seem to think there is. Maybe a more careful selection of gear is in order.

My stuff sits in a cabinet out of the way so for me performance and not aesthetics.

The only thing that will ruffle my feathers is some how equating the fact I like DIY, certainly suggest the pro-audio route, is some how a deficit or character flaw instead of a straight up technical argument.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
The only thing that will ruffle my feathers is some how equating the fact I like DIY, certainly suggest the pro-audio route, is some how a deficit or character flaw instead of a straight up technical argument.
I have only had a small issue with a pro amp and a signal and that was when I was trying to power a diy sub and it was buzzing through my marantz slim receiver, so I put a ab amp and it was fine, so I tried a different pro amp and it buzzed also, so I never looked into it any further... Not a big deal I have plenty of amps, I have recommended pro amps to people and if you read my posts, you will see I always say "if it sounds good to you, that is all that matters" My gear is as much about looks as function, you have seen pics of my systems and there is not gear hidden in racks...

I don't think anyone thinks less of you because you use diy or pro gear, they think less of you because you are a mod :D, just kidding, lol... If my wife wasn't the aesthetics gestapo I would probably have pro amps and racks of gear all over the place, but she is queen of "that's not staying there" and "leave that outside"....

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Another good brand to consider is NAD. The C 272 BEE would be the pick for the OP. I've owned 3 Emo products and found their XPA amps on the bright side with some speakers. 2 Emo products developed issues as well. I now own 2 NAD integrated amps(not the 275) and the SQ is superior with better imaging. Chalk me up as another "meh, pro amps" poster. Just food for thought.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
I suspect that ImcLoud is talking about the high frequency (20KHz+) distortion discovered in early Class D products. It was possible to blow tweeters when pushing high power.

This was a direct consequence of inadequate Power Supply Rejection and HF low pass filter not having a high enough slope to adequately attenuate signal beyond 20KHz.

It by no means a reflection on Class D topology but, poor amp design or cost saving measures resulting in poor implementation.

I have not kept up with the products, but, I'd say a good design and properly implemented amp will be indistinguishable from another based on amp typology alone.

Here is further reading for anyone interested, http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/40-06/class_d.html

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have only had a small issue with a pro amp and a signal and that was when I was trying to power a diy sub and it was buzzing through my marantz slim receiver, so I put a ab amp and it was fine, so I tried a different pro amp and it buzzed also, so I never looked into it any further... Not a big deal I have plenty of amps, I have recommended pro amps to people and if you read my posts, you will see I always say "if it sounds good to you, that is all that matters" My gear is as much about looks as function, you have seen pics of my systems and there is not gear hidden in racks...

I don't think anyone thinks less of you because you use diy or pro gear, they think less of you because you are a mod :D, just kidding, lol... If my wife wasn't the aesthetics gestapo I would probably have pro amps and racks of gear all over the place, but she is queen of "that's not staying there" and "leave that outside"....
Thanks IRV.

This is so much better than:

Meh... Pro-audio

and

You push DIY (not in this thread) and Pro-audio (still trying to figure out what that has to do with the price of tea in China).

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here's an epiphany:

IF the XPA goes back for service the OP can just stop by a Guitar Center, pick up the XLS1500 and use it as a temporary solution and also see if he likes it. That way he won't be without his speakers.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
What if he blows a tweeter! Sorry! Couldn't help myself ;-).

OP, go for it. That is a "no commitment" way to try something different.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What if he blows a tweeter! Sorry! Couldn't help myself ;-).

OP, go for it. That is a "no commitment" way to try something different.
who and what he blows is his business.... I don't judge..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis