Almost finished, just need a sub

G

Gbiz

Audioholic Intern
I am very new to the whole HT sceen. I finally went out and got a new reciever as my old pioneer was 8 y/o. Well my current 5.1 sytem is as follows:
Pioneer elite 52txi
Polk csi3
2Polk RTi8
2 cerwin vega surround
Hitachi hts5 10' sub (don't know much about it, was given to me used)
I know that I will need to replace the surround to polk, but I eventually need to get a good sub. I am currently a little strapped for cash in that I have invested in this system along with a panasonic wide screen. I was thinking about the Polk PSW404, which I could probably afford within a month. I don't know if it matters for sound quality as far as a sub goes to stick with the same brand. Should I:
1. get this sub as soon as I can afford it.
2. Stick with what I have and get something better, but I don't know what is better.
Any advice is appreciated.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
What kind of price are you looking at on a subwoofer?

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
What kind of price are you looking at on a subwoofer?
That polk is about $400 street. You could do better with $400 than that. You could get a Hsu or SVS for $400 plus shipping. If you wanted to stay under that, the cadence xsub has gotten rave reviews here and is about $250 shipped I think from ubid.

How big is the room? If it's really big, you might consider getting 2 12 inch dayton from partsexpress for about the same as one of the Hsu or SVS.

Pat

G

Gbiz

Audioholic Intern
The room is rather large 21x19 ft. I think if I actually want to feel the bass I need something bigger. I guess I would like to spend less than $400, as I need better rears. A couple more questions. Should I keep the sub I have and add another, or will that mess up my system? How do you hook up multiple subs correctly with one pre out? I have the Mcacc auto calibration, will it work properly with 2 subs. Ok, maybe 3 questions. thanks
One more thing, which set of polks would be the best surrounds at a good price?
See....told you I was new

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$400 for bass you can really feel is going to be tough. My room is 19x20 and I have an SVS PB-10 and it does fine in a room that size, but if you want more feel, you'll need to step up to something like a PB-12/2 or a 12 plus, and that isn't in the $400 realm. The PB-10 gives a little tactile response, but nothing like their larger subs. The thing is, it isn't exactly $400 either, it's likely closer to $500 with tax and shipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis