All three fronts the same??

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
I have heard that an optimal setup is having all three front speakers the same. Lets say three Klipsh RF5's across the front, or three Axiom towers across the front. Has anyone tried this? Are you just lying the tower on a shelf on its side? I suppose if you had a perf screen you could place it behind. If this is the best way, why do they even make center channels? Is it a size issue? People don't want a tower sitting on top of their 65" big screen?
Roly

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Three Identical Speakers??? Nonsense

rolyasm said:
I have heard that an optimal setup is having all three front speakers the same. Lets say three Klipsh RF5's across the front, or three Axiom towers across the front. Has anyone tried this? Are you just lying the tower on a shelf on its side? I suppose if you had a perf screen you could place it behind. If this is the best way, why do they even make center channels? Is it a size issue? People don't want a tower sitting on top of their 65" big screen?
Roly
Even if you use three identical speakers they will not sound the same. When you place a speaker on top of your tv it will most certainly sound totally different that the other two placed on the floor. The ideal situation is to get a center channel speaker that has tone controls on the back of it and can be adjusted to sound as much like the other two main speakers as possible. I currently use one of the better Infinity center channels with duel tone controls on the back and it blends in perfectly with my main speakers.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Most manufacturers offer a center channel designed to be "voice matched" to other speakers in their lineup. These are generally magneticaly shielded and designed for horizontal mounting.

Of course, if you can find a way to use the exact same center as the surrounds, go ahead. This might work for some bookshelf type speakers but be aware that mounting a tower on it's side and off the ground will dramaticaly alter it's sound. The placement of the speaker is generally figured into it's initial design.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I changed my center channel to the same tower as my mains about 2 years ago, Now I'll never go back to a smaller center. I have all three towers standing upright with the projector screen above them. The benefit's are real, why do you think sound studios use towers all the way around.

cheers:)

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
This is absolutely correct; the best way to do it is to have 3 identical speakers up front.

Now, the problem with this is that due to design, a lot of speakers have dispersion characteristics that make this a bad idea. Most towers are designed to limit the sound projected in the vertical axis, while trying to spread it on the horizontal axis. As you can see this would cause some sound field problems.

Most front AV speakers from the same line are Timbre matched, meaning the sonic characteristics of all 3 front speakers are similar. That way when there is a scene in a movie using all 3 for dialogue the transition sounds smooth between the 3.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I have 3 Paradigm Studio 20s as my front three. The center is on it's side a bit above the floor and pointing towards to listening area. I found that I much prefered the sound this way as contratsed with the purpose built Studio center.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Interesting...

I always find it interesting that in the AV world there is usually a difference of opinion concerning almost all aspects in all areas. Just with this thread we have generated two polar views. Who is correct? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a lolipop? The world may never know.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds as if some speakers may be better designed for being used as LCR. Anyone know of other speakers that this can be done with? Any of the lower to mids like Klipsch, Axiom, Rockets, Energy? Thanks
Roly

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
The BIC DV62clr is a great little unit that sounds wonderful. It can be used for all 3.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis