All my stereos, updated frequently.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
My Continuously Evolving Blob of Electronics

This thread is subject to swift changes.

I am only a college student living in a 2 bedroom apartment. I don't have much money, because I spend it on audio stuff that I know I don't need. So I guess you could say that I am helplessly addicted, thank goodness it isn't drugs or smoking I am addicted to.:D

I am an audio scavanger, so the stuff I find may be outdated or banged up, but I always strive to get the best bargain possible. You may see me nose around in a Hi-Fi store asking them a bunch of questions, and possibly making a fool out of a stupid deceitful salesman.

I have moved my system to my living room as it used to be in my bedroom.

Components:
Television- JVC I'Art 27" Flat tube with cool 16:9 compression mode for DVDs
DVD Player- Toshiba SD-9000 non-progressive, but a tank with true black levels.:)
CD Player- Magnavox CDB-650 Swing arm transport, Coaxial SPDIF out, needs mods to overide oversampling.
Receiver- Yamaha HTR-5890 7.1 THX Select.
Speakers- Four NHT 1.5 bookself speakers for front left and right, center, and rear surround, Infinity IL 10's for left and right surrounds.
Assorted interconnects from Acoustic Research, Audio Quest, Magnavox, Monster, RadioShack, Labtec (out of business, I believe it was a division of Recoton before it was bought out by Audiovox), Straightwire, and some Mickey Mouse "came in the box" junk cables.

Pictures of primary system-

Front view, look closely at the TV screen you will see the amazing levitating lamp:eek:-

Closer to TV and center NHT 1.5-

The new Yamaha HTR-5890, Magnavox CDB 650, Toshiba SD-9000, and Fisher Integrated used as temp. power for my M&K-

Close up of NHT 1.5 used as a center channel, which I had planned to shield, but it works fine were it is-

M&K being slowly re-employed into the system-

Surround left Infinity IL 10-

Surround right Infinity IL 10-

This arrangement may last a while.

Last edited:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I like your approach, it looks like it costs less than mine.

As a graduate student I know what you mean by misusing what money you have :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Second system (living room). I don't spend much time in the living room so it gets the lesser of components.:D
Television- Sanyo 20" convex tube with stereo av inputs
DVD player-Mini PS2
CD player- Magnavox CDB-560 very similar to CDB 650, only not as pretty and lacking some features like a Filtered analog output, needs mods too.
Integrated Amp- Customized Altec PC speaker system amplifier See thread: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27028
Speakers- BIC C-8.3 on speakers with dual 8" woofers and a 1" tweeter.
Secondary Source-PC for listening to music downloads, even though I hate most MP3s.:D

Last edited:
D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Nice home cinema set-up mate better than most of the expensive high end stuff I’ve seen on countless home cinema forum sites! You’ve got a good head start mate.

A few matching loudspeakers for the fronts (three-screen) and an array of surrounds down the sidewalls and rear wall will place most in there place mate!:cool:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Dolby CP-200 said:
Nice home cinema set-up mate better than most of the expensive high end stuff I’ve seen on countless home cinema forum sites! You’ve got a good head start mate.

A few matching loudspeakers for the fronts (three-screen) and an array of surrounds down the sidewalls and rear wall will place most in there place mate!:cool:
Thank you for the advice. I need a new receiver before I can do surround sound again. The Magnavox is limited to 2 channel playback because on of the surround channel transistors is fried. And aside from that it is only pro-logic.:(

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Seth=L

That’s ok cinemas still play Dolby Stereo A and SR depending on the type of presentation some use THX which makes it sound like 70mm or Dolby Digital.

Look around on the Ebay, but use caution as there a few evil people out there that would rip you off. Or you could try the home cinema stores for ex-demonstration equipment usually they flog it off at good prices mate that would fit the size of your pocket.:)

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
Nice setup...what do you use for a monitor in your room?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You mean the computer monitor? It is a flat 17" CRT monitor that was with a compaq system. I got it at a garage sale for $3.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for posting the pictures. Excellent use of funds. Keep up the good work. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
This is for Sheep, and anyone not sitting on a cushion.

Front of M&K MX-100 with grill cover-

Front with no cover-

Rear with amplifier-

Close up of amplifier-

Ah, appeasement.:D

This thing should be fixed in less than 2 months.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
What's that movie poster?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. After the Sunset.

Interestingly, I found it by searching for "March 29 dvd releases"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That is strange how you found it, I like the poster. The movie was ok.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Seth, even if you GAVE me the M&K... I would never be able to fit it in my room...

But I want a different center channel. I can worry about rear surrounds later. And yes... I'm going to build a spacer on my TV so the speakers don't warp my shadow mask....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Seth!

Wicked looking subwoofer. Hopefully it will be up and running soon.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I hope so too, I also need to change my thread to include the Yammy.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
no. 5 said:
and your signature. ;)
All the necessary changes have been made for your viewing pleasure. Now there won't be as much vomit on your computer desk from looking at hideous electronics.:D

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seth=L said:
All the necessary changes have been made for your viewing pleasure. Now there won't be as much vomit on your computer desk from looking at hideous electronics.:D
thanks, I hate cleaning up vomit. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis