Affordable projector

Discussion in 'Projectors & Screens' started by Mountainear, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Mountainear Audioholic Intern

Mountainear
    Hello, I was thinking of buying a projector. I was wanting one to use outside this summer on the side of the house with a king size bedsheet. I have a yard sale find Infocus IN35 projector, last made about 2007/2008. Money is always a consideration, but I was thinking about significant picture improvement possibilities. I've tried the Infocus once only, on inside wall briefly, it has only VGA, S-video, and RCA video inputs. I was considering instead getting an Epson 5210 or 7210 projector with cheap blu-ray player for source. I have no access to decent internet, so I'll be using the round shiny discs. I currently have no blu-rays however, only dvd player with dvds. Would it be worthwhile to try the Oppo 103 in connection with the epson 5210 or 7210, so I could make use of my current dvds? However, for I've seen blu-rays around, it may not be a big deal to access rentals or buy. Or, would I be better off getting a cheap blu-ray player and a better projector, such an Epson 8350? I'm not interested in 3D capabilities. Or, 3rd option, should I keep the Infocus IN35, use Dvds, and get a decent sub to augment my sound?
    I currently have a pair of PSB Image 5T Floor model speakers. I used them in conjunction with a $20.00 Realistic thrift shop amp for outside movies 2 summers ago. I was impressed with the experience and so were my family and neighbor. Inside, I power them with a Sony GX50ES receiver/amp, probably 23 years old, but going strong. At this point, I'm not wanting to put money into 5.1 or 7.1 amp, I'd likely only add a center channel speaker if I did. I have a Velodyne Servo100 that gave up the ghost, surround foam loose all around it, it is also 23 years old. Would I notice much difference between what this sub did and lets say... an Outlaw LFM EX-1 or SVS PC12 Plus? Maybe I should have posted in Subwoofer forum. I've just been thinking of posting for a while, and I thank any and all for their input.
    I tried to post my TV room picture, dimensions, unable at this point.
    My TV room dimensions are: 10.5 feet wide, 19 foot long, with a 7 foot opening to our kitchen dining area, sliding glass doors on opposite wall, and a bay window behind the TV.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. BMXTRIX Audioholic Spartan

BMXTRIX
    For a cheap projector, the new BenQ W1070 is getting excellent reviews. Almost all 'new' projectors will have 3D, don't use it if you don't want it, but don't avoid those projectors just because they happen to include a feature you don't want to utilize.

The Epson 8350 is a very good model, but is starting to show its age.

Here is a link, sorted on price, for 1080p models... Find Projectors By FeatureI would avoid Viewsonic due to personal and secondhand reports of issues. They just are designed and built poorly from what I've seen.

But, the Optoma HD20 may be a great way to go.

Optoma HD20 Projector (Optoma HD20)

Now, for a BD player, just get a Panasonic model. Under $150 is all you should spend on a Blu-ray player unless you have a very high end setup. I love Oppo, but they are overkill for most setups. Panasonic usually delivers a very good product for the money, but it looks like their new 230 model is really lacking. Perhaps try the Sony S5100 BD player. About $130 for those.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. rnatalli Audioholic Ninja

rnatalli
    Check out the Acer H6510BD. I picked one up off Newegg for $629 shipped and although it isn't perfect, it delivers an excellent picture especially for the price.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Mountainear Audioholic Intern

Mountainear
    Thank you BMXTRIX and rnatalli for your input. Your input was very helpful! However, at this point..... I'm thinking of trying to get the best svs PC sub I can afford and it appears I'll need a new avr receiver to connect to it properly. At this point, it appears my yard sale Infocus IN35 projector is not too bad and I'm hoping to put available money towards sound.
  5. AcuDefTechGuy Audioholic Slumlord

AcuDefTechGuy