Aesthetically Pleasing Tower Speakers

F

frank2532

Enthusiast
Hello All,
I am in the process of putting together a 2.1 AV system for my living room 15x15. For me sound quality is the most important and will be used mostly listen to rhythm and blues and Motown type music. My wife on the other hand is concerned about the speakers being an eyesore and will primarily use them to watch TV.

I came across the SVS Prime Towers with the Piano Glass finish which seems to work for both of us. So my questions are 1. Does anyone know of any other brands with a high gloss finish? And 2. If so is the SVS Prime Tower the best option for that price range $600 each.
Thanks in advance for input given.
Frank

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
You could call around and see what an auto paint shop would charge to paint a pair of DIY Solstice towers. I bet your wife would love to choose the color. :)

Or since you're doing 2.1 anyway, low bass extension shouldn't be a consideration. Consider the Ascend Sierra-1 bookshelfs with the ribbon tweeter upgrade + a pair of pedestal stands. That'd also get you a small discount on a piano black Rythmik E15HP, the less expensive dual driver Rythmik F8 in piano black, or various other Rythmik subs if you're interested in such things.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Or just talk to Jim Salk for any finish you can think of :)
(one catch - it's gonna cost ya :) )

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Nudge the budget and get a pair of Salk SongTowers in whatever veneer u want. You'll thank us later.

Alexandre

Alexandre

Audioholic
Ok, this is significantly more mainstream but I can't help it, I just really enjoy the look of the Bowers & Wilkins. If you can afford the CM series, I think those look amazing, otherwise the 600 series also looks quite good.

If you have a nearby Best Buy/Magnolia, they have a very reasonable return policy which you could use to test them out in your house. :)

I do kinda agree with rojo thoug, since you're doing 2.1, bookshelves + sub could be a good option. Personally, I generally prefer that configuration, especially since I live in San Francisco where space is limited.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I do, too, but I'm having a hard time finding measurements for them. I'd be interested to see on-axis and off-axis response.

While they don't have a gloss finish, I also like the look of the Fluance XL7F for $500. They graph like they've got notably laid back highs, though, so I don't ever recommend them.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I do, too, but I'm having a hard time finding measurements for them. I'd be interested to see on-axis and off-axis response.
Same here.

Help me ADTG, you're my only hope :D.

F

frank2532

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I haven't had a chance to take a good look yet but I'll let you know once I do.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Add the JBL Studio 570 to your list for consideration. They aren't piano black, but they're still visually quite attractive and generally well-regarded aurally.

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Hello All,
I am in the process of putting together a 2.1 AV system for my living room 15x15. For me sound quality is the most important and will be used mostly listen to rhythm and blues and Motown type music. My wife on the other hand is concerned about the speakers being an eyesore and will primarily use them to watch TV.

I came across the SVS Prime Towers with the Piano Glass finish which seems to work for both of us. So my questions are 1. Does anyone know of any other brands with a high gloss finish? And 2. If so is the SVS Prime Tower the best option for that price range $600 each.
Thanks in advance for input given.
Frank
Easy to find, once you know what look you like.

That's not usually why people come to the Audioholics forums, though.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Have you considered maggies? The wife might love the look, you can choose wood and panel cover color and they can become conversation pieces which I find improves the Wife Acceptance Factor immensely.

There is no question with regard to sound quality, have a listen and read some reviews.

They need power and good quality power at that, which might be the biggest deciding factor.

Magneplanar MMG

They also make on-wall speakers which the wife would love.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis