S

speedfreak

Enthusiast
I live in Canada so the dollar sucks right now keep that in mind. Trying to figure out what I should buy for a TV. Buy a cheap 4K TV or spend the same amount and buy a 1080p TV. Going to buy extended warranty if I buy cheap. Whats every ones feelings on this is 4K just not there yet or is it time to jump in.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
4K helps if you plan to do 3D. Otherwise, 1080p is probably indiscernible from UHD without your being unreasonably close to the TV for its size. How far away are your seats from your intended television location? What size TV are you interested in getting?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Screen size, and viewing distance determine resolution needed.

Budget determines what you should be looking at.

9 times out of 10 1080p is perfectly fine for people. You likely have no 4K content to show, you likely have no need for 4K content, you likely don't have a 4K capable A/V receiver, you likely are using the speakers in the TV, which are weak.

There are better things to spend money on then a 4K TV in many systems. But, some of the absolute highest quality TVs happen to also have 4K resolution, so if you want the best, it will end up being 4K.

IMO, Samsung makes the best looking displays which aren't OLED right now. The LG OLED displays are the best looking on the market, but come at a premium.

So, after all is said and done, budget really matters as well.

S

speedfreak

Enthusiast
12 feet from TV have a great sound system want to stay under one thousand trying to figure out if I should just 1080 because 4K content is lacking and what about a blu-ray player that up-converts

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
This was the year to go to 4K, because the 2016 models finally support what I would consider the "final for now" Ultra HD specs (4K, HDR10, wide color space) plus source devices to match: reasonably priced 4K Blu-ray players and streaming services. Even a 1080p Blu-ray source will look better. HDR10 and wide color are beneficial even if you are 12ft away.

But it'll cost more than $1k CAD to get that. If your budget is $1k, I'd either wait and keep what you have or buy a temporary HDTV if you don't have something right now, possibly used.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis