Advise on Marantz - CR 603

A

AV55

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am interested in enjoying a good quality music in my bedroom of size about 15ft x 10 ft.
Mostly the source of music shall be CD / USB / FM radio / Internet radio. I have thought of Marantz CR 603 for this purpose. Has anyone experienced this product? Also suggest a wall mount 2 Ch or 2.1 ch good quality speakers for this purpose.

Thanks.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey AV55, and welcome. Just out of curiosity, why the M-CR603? I believe the M-CR610 is the current model. Did you find one on Craigslist or similar? Do you have a budget for micro system + speakers?

For micro receiver with a CD player, USB, Wi-Fi, and Internet radio streaming, add this Denon RCD-N7 to your list for consideration. If you aren't tied to the micro shelf system form factor, you might also consider this Oppo BDP-103 universal disc player + a separate amplifier. In addition to being able to play more formats, that Oppo player has Internet radio over wifi (probably with more stations and more reliable connectivity), and can read USB media as well.

For speakers, these NXG Pro 4.1 satellites can be wall-mounted with some $10 brackets, and afterlife2 really seems to dig them.

For a subwoofer, I think the HSU Research STF-2 would match well with those NXG satellites and work well in a bedroom, offering good low frequency extension from a smaller 10" sub.

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Mostly the source of music shall be CD / USB / FM radio / Internet radio. I have thought of Marantz CR 603 for this purpose. Has anyone experienced this product? Also suggest a wall mount 2 Ch or 2.1 ch good quality speakers for this purpose.
What is your budget for the complete setup?

A

AV55

Audiophyte
Thanks for your replies.
I reside in India and we do get in India audio systems of Marantz / Dennon / Onkyo / Yamaha / Pioneer / Cambridge, NAD etc as well as speakers of Wharfdale / Polki / Tannoy /Monitor / Jamo, etc.
Now coming to my preference for Marantz - Currently I own a Marantz AVR -NR1604 and JBL/ Infinity 5.1 Ch system with floor stand speakers for my living room and I also own a Marantz - AVR SR 5008 with Wharfdale Diamond series 5.1 Ch system with floor standing speakers for my home theater. Since I am familiar with Marantz and satisfied with its performance, I am inclined to this make. However, I am open to suggestions and willing to try another make. CR 610 is the latest product but I think additional feature is WiFi - in my case as I have Ethernet cable connection in every room, Wi Fi is not essential. My budget for Amplifier & Speakers is about INR 60000/- ($ 1000/-).

Thanks again for showing interest in my query.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Unless you absolutely positively must have the CD player built in, the CD603 or 610 does not make sense. For example, compare it to the 1604. No Room correction EQ or bass management, fewer inputs, less power, fewer sound processing options, and more or less, same cost. IMO, this is a better option, get the 1504 for the bedroom along with a stand alone CD/DVD player with HDMI out. This should leave about half the budget for speakers.

For speakers, look at the getting another Wharfdale Diamond 5.1 bookshelf setup. You can use the LCR and subwoofer in the bedroom and use the two extra speakers to extend our home theater to 7.1 :).

A

AV55

Audiophyte
Agarwalro,
Thanks for your alternate suggestion. However, my aim is to reduce the electronic appliance clutter as well as to make things simple for my wife to operate and enjoy the music and hence I had thought of Marantz MCR 603. Further, my present home theater is just about 200 sq. ft in area and hence not enough space to make it a 7.1 Ch. - in future I plan to make it of a bigger area.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
However, my aim is to reduce the electronic appliance clutter as well as to make things simple for my wife to operate and enjoy the music and hence I had thought of Marantz MCR 603. Further, my present home theater is just about 200 sq. ft in area and hence not enough space to make it a 7.1 Ch. - in future I plan to make it of a bigger area.
I tried to find a compact system with 2 speakers bundled in. Did not like any for one reason or another. In that case, the 603 or 610 is a good choice. It seems the 603 is all but discontinued in the US, but you may find some in India. I prefer the look of the 603 over the 610, but, that is entirely subjective.

Based on a search for what folks are pairing with the CR603 or 610, here is a consolidated list for you to try,
Boston Acoustics A26
Cambridge Audio S30
Dali Zensor 1 or 3
Kef Q100 or Q300
Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 or Silver RX1
Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1

A

AV55

Audiophyte
Hi
A dealer in Mumbai (that's where I stay) is offering Marantz MCR 603 along with a pair of BA 25 for INR 52000/- (about $865/-). I have not yet recd quote with Dali Zensor 1 speakers.
I may purchase it next month as next week I am travelling to South Africa - returning via Dubai (halting at Dubai for 2-3 days). If I find something more interesting over there, I may do my shopping over there.

Thanks.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Marantz MCR 603 along with a pair of BA 25 for INR 52000/- (about $865/-)...
The best I can see on the CR603 is $650 and BA A25 is $300, so $865 is not bad at all.

I am travelling to South Africa - returning via Dubai (halting at Dubai for 2-3 days). If I find something more interesting over there, I may do my shopping over there.
Don't forget to factor in import duty :).

A

AV55

Audiophyte
we are allowed to import a duty free item worth INR 35000/- (about $580/-) per person. So I may bring only the CR603 and buy the speakers from here. Also, generally warranty is applicable only for the country of purchase - so I shall have to consider this limitation too. I shall purchase CR603 from UAE only if the price is considerably low compared to India - which I doubt. As per my previous Dubai shopping experience the difference can be of just about 10% - not worth the trouble. I have also observed that prices of electronic (or for that matter any item) is cheapest in USA compared to any other country - Europe being the most expensive.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
we are allowed to import a duty free item worth INR 35000/- (about $580/-) per person. So I may bring only the CR603 and buy the speakers from here. Also, generally warranty is applicable only for the country of purchase - so I shall have to consider this limitation too. I shall purchase CR603 from UAE only if the price is considerably low compared to India - which I doubt. As per my previous Dubai shopping experience the difference can be of just about 10% - not worth the trouble. I have also observed that prices of electronic (or for that matter any item) is cheapest in USA compared to any other country - Europe being the most expensive.
Yes, that pretty much sounds like you'll need to find the CR603 for $500 or less to make it worth loosing the warranty. You are also correct on the price difference between US and Europe. My Mom worked in Hamburg and when I decided to set up a home theater for her, every price was same list price as US except in Euro. So, the same receiver was $499 (list price, I could find it for less on Amazon.com) in the US and I bought it for Euro 499+Tax :eek:. The prices on Amazon.de were barely 10% less than store prices.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis