Advice to addapt a subwoofer to yamaha micro stereo

G

George P

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have an yamaha micro stereo MCR-755.

The loudspeakers are NS-BP150 with 55-28 KHz and cutoff frequency at 4.5 kHz.

The amplifier has only TREBLE and BASS, with corrections +- 10 DB. I have no information how broad is the effect BASS correction. There is an subwoofer RCA out on the amplifier-

Since the base in the original loudspeakers seemed be quite weak, specially at lower volumes, I bought an yamaha subwoofer YST-SW012 which is an active 8", 28-200 Hz. No frequency controls are provided, just a volume.
However, YST II is the Yamaha Active Servo Technology which enhance probably the bass sound doing it actively more clean.

My dilema is how to set up the BASS (and probably the TREBLE) on the amplifier when the sub is added.

e.g., if the bass setup works over the subwoofer max frequency 200 Hz that would mean that applying correction on BASS will affect parts over 200 Hz which are not compensable from subwoofer. So I risk to create a whole in frequencies over 200 Hz.
On the other side, if I put BASS on +2 or +4 dB that would unnecessary enhance the subwoofer area.

I did some empirical tests. It sounds quite OK but on classic music the base seems to be quite absent.
I also tried to use an frequency analyzer android app on my phone to find out the domain of the BASS control on the amplifier. I could not get a conclusion. Maybe 0 dB correction on base and +12dB on treble should be good.

I read about the crawling technique to find a right place in the living room but nu I need to get an answer about how to leave the BASS control on the amplifier.

I am aware a 700$ stereo is not a HiFi but I would be grateful for some advises.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your receiver doesn't appear to have any bass management capabilities (i.e. to crossover the speakers to the sub) and from your description neither does your sub. You will end up duplicating frequencies to an extent so use of the bass tone control (or the bass boost, did you try that?) will just be preference. I wouldn't crank the treble to 12, nor the bass, though.

G

George P

Audiophyte
Thanks! The uncontrollable frequency duplication is worrying me. I just try to limit that duplication as much is possible, not to eliminate at all.

You suggest keep the bass and treble at 0 dB?
Is bass bost reliable to use? Some consider it as "artificial ". I have no own idea about that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks! The uncontrollable frequency duplication is worrying me. I just try to limit that duplication as much is possible, not to eliminate at all.

You suggest keep the bass and treble at 0 dB?
Is bass bost reliable to use? Some consider it as "artificial ". I have no own idea about that.
I don't like accentuated treble, bass maybe :) but not 12dB worth, the boost is no more artificial than the bass tone control and may even track with volume rather than be fixed like the tone control.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I recommend to paint it blue and throw it the ocean (or sell it :) )
Start fresh. 2nd hand proper receiver and pair of Philharmonic AA speakers.

G

George P

Audiophyte
I recommend to paint it blue and throw it the ocean (or sell it :) )
Start fresh. 2nd hand proper receiver and pair of Philharmonic AA speakers.
All right! I throw everything in the Baltic Sea, with the price I miss the challenge :)

Could you give me a link to Philharmonic AA?
Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis