Advice on New System

T

Texas_Scot

Audiophyte
Howdy folks,

I have been spending a little time here over the past couple of months as I research information for my first system. My current thoughts are as follows:

Panasonic Plasma TH-42PWD8UK
Pioneer VSX-1015TX Receiver
Acoustech speakers (5.1)

Most of the above choices are based on information and advice gained from Audioholics so hopefully not too much disagreement on setup selected. I am finding it almost impossible however to find the Pioneer receiver - it seems to be on back-order everywhere. What would be your suggestions regarding an alternative receiver around the same price point. Alternatively I have thought of purchasing the VSX-815K rather than the 1015.

Last but not least does anyone have any comments regarding internet dealers to purchase the above from. I was thinking Visual Apex for the plasma and perhaps J&R for the receiver.

Appreciate your feedback.

Texas_Scot

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
Welcome!

I have owned the 815 pioneer and it was a pretty nice unit, however after having replaced it with a harman kardon I think [if I were you] I would look on ebay for the harmon kardon avr-235 ~$250.00 or if you want something closer to price of the 1015 look at the avr-335 ~$375.00 direct from harman kardon with full warranty

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-235-7-1-Channel-Stereo-Receiver_W0QQitemZ5812323096QQcategoryZ39794QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-335-7-1-Home-theater-receiver_W0QQitemZ5811568884QQcategoryZ67799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
droeses58 said:
Welcome!

I have owned the 815 pioneer and it was a pretty nice unit, however after having replaced it with a harman kardon I think [if I were you] I would look on ebay for the harmon kardon avr-235 ~$250.00 or if you want something closer to price of the 1015 look at the avr-335 ~$375.00 direct from harman kardon with full warranty

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-235-7-1-Channel-Stereo-Receiver_W0QQitemZ5812323096QQcategoryZ39794QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-335-7-1-Home-theater-receiver_W0QQitemZ5811568884QQcategoryZ67799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Basically, you get multizone and 5 more watts for ~ $125. I think the 235 is a better value, unless go go futher up to the 435 or 430 for the refurbed prices. Hell, the refurbed 630 is going for a bit more than $400 on average.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Texas_Scot said:
Alternatively I have thought of purchasing the VSX-815K rather than the 1015.

Last but not least does anyone have any comments regarding internet dealers to purchase the above from. I was thinking Visual Apex for the plasma and perhaps J&R for the receiver.

Texas_Scot
Welcome to the forum (at least on your first post).

I'd definitely recommend the 1015. It qualifies under my 33lb+ weight spec for high quality receivers. ;)

Great choice on speakers. The towers are rumored to have great imaging, but lack a bit in the bass department. (not really a huge issue, as the subwoofer and bass management on the receiver will do wonders)

The Pioneers sound great, but you may get a little more bass response from a higher end Yamaha receiver (I'd recommend the 5790 if you can still find one for under $500). The 1015 is very hard to come by, and has been sold out for quite some time.

I can't recommend these dealers, and would definitely call them to order to make sure it's legit. These are killer prices. The 2500 is even better.
http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=7418&RefTag=froogle

http://www.parkaveelectronics.com/product.asp?itemid=YAMRXV2500

JR.com is a great place to purchase from if they do indeed have some 1015's. Another great place to buy a receiver is from Harman Kardon's ebay site (as mentioned earlier). For the price of the 1015 or 5790, you could pick up one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-630-7-1-Receiver-DTS-Dolby-Digital_W0QQitemZ5812588140QQcategoryZ39794QQcmdZViewItem

Or if you're willing to spend a few hundred more for the best:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-7300-7-1-Ch-A-V-Receiver_W0QQitemZ5812596996QQcategoryZ39794QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
T

Texas_Scot

Audiophyte
HK on Ebay

Buckeye

Thanks for the response. The prices on the HK Ebay site certainly appear to be appealing. From what I can see online it looks as if the AVR-630 is a higher end receiver than either the 1015 or the Yahama. Is this correct?

It also looks as if the 630 has been superceded by the AVR-635 although this is not really a concern to me. What kind of price would you recommend for the refurbished 630's on ebay?

Thanks

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Texas_Scot said:
Buckeye

Thanks for the response. The prices on the HK Ebay site certainly appear to be appealing. From what I can see online it looks as if the AVR-630 is a higher end receiver than either the 1015 or the Yahama. Is this correct?

It also looks as if the 630 has been superceded by the AVR-635 although this is not really a concern to me. What kind of price would you recommend for the refurbished 630's on ebay?

Thanks
I don't know if there's any difference between the 630/635 except model year. I'd take it over the 1015, and would be a toss up between it and the Yamaha 2500. The 630/635 weighs 41lbs. The others are at least 8 lbs lighter (smaller transformers/heat sinks = higher distortion when driven hard).

I'd be happy if I could land a 630 for under $450 shipped. HK refurbs the units themselves, then gives you a full warranty (win win). You won't find better customer service anywhere, HK is by far the best. Denon is excellent also, but they were slow to exchange my remote (I've got a 3805).

If I could do it again, I'd probaby opt for the HK7300 (if I could land one for $850 - $900). Back when I bought my 3805, the HK7300 was going for $1400 at J&R. At $735, the Denon was a much better deal. Now, the HK units are a steal through ebay.

A receiver is something you purchase once in a great while. Get as much as you can afford, and don't try to save a few bucks going for a lesser model. Nothing beats a good, strong amp IMO.

T

Texas_Scot

Audiophyte
One More for Buckeye

Sounds like the HK 630 is the one. I have one further question - music to movie split will most likely be 70/30, how does the 630 do with 2 channel music?

Thanks

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
I heartily recommend Visual Apex for plasma purchase

Texas_Scot said:
Howdy folks,

I have been spending a little time here over the past couple of months as I research information for my first system. My current thoughts are as follows:

Panasonic Plasma TH-42PWD8UK
Pioneer VSX-1015TX Receiver
Acoustech speakers (5.1)

Most of the above choices are based on information and advice gained from Audioholics so hopefully not too much disagreement on setup selected. I am finding it almost impossible however to find the Pioneer receiver - it seems to be on back-order everywhere. What would be your suggestions regarding an alternative receiver around the same price point. Alternatively I have thought of purchasing the VSX-815K rather than the 1015.

Texas_Scot
I purchased a Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY from Visual Apex about a month ago, and I had a great experience. They are an authorized Panasonic dealer, so no worries about the warranty. They were very competitive on price, even with other non-authorized dealers. I found them great to deal with on the phone, and they delivered everything as promised. Their customer ratings on Pricegrabber.com are among the best I have ever seen for any retailer. I don't think you can go wrong with VA

T

Texas_Scot

Audiophyte
Bought the HK

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. Based on what I heard I managed to purchase a HK AVR-630 from the ebay site for $440 delivered. Given that this has the full HK warranty and that the price for a new unit is around $850 this seems like a sweet deal to me.

My thanks to all that provided feedback....and I'll let you know how it sounds once I am set up.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Texas_Scot said:
Thanks for all the feedback and advice. Based on what I heard I managed to purchase a HK AVR-630 from the ebay site for $440 delivered. Given that this has the full HK warranty and that the price for a new unit is around $850 this seems like a sweet deal to me.

My thanks to all that provided feedback....and I'll let you know how it sounds once I am set up.
Nice purchase, and a great deal! Sorry I missed your last question. PM me anytime - it goes straight to my Yahoo account which I see first.

I think you'll be very happy with the musical ability of your unit. It has quite the learning curve, but once you read the manual 3 times (I read my Denon many times more), you'll get the hang of it. Keep in mind HK's, as well as Yamaha's and Denon's run warm, so keep your unit very well ventilated.

If you like your music at frat party levels, don't be afraid to put a small pc fan above the head sink for ventilation. Heat destroys electronics, and sometimes ventilation isn't enough if you enjoy your Motley Crew at reference levels ;) .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis