Advice on how to connect my new components

C

cdye

Enthusiast
I'm looking for advice on how to connect my new system. I'm VERY new to this kind of stuff, but it is exciting. A summary of my components with connections is listed below:

LCD Projection TV: All Video inputs (including DVI) except HDMI, all audio inputs including optical
HD Satellite: Same as above for Video outputs including no HDMI, all audio inputs including optical
DVD Player: all Video outputs except DVI, all audio outputs
Receiver/Amp (Yamaha V2600): all Video inputs/outputs except HDMI, all audio outputs

I'm particularly concerned about my lack of HDMI inputs and outputs between my satellite receiver and TV. I want to utilize the two HDMI inputs, one HDMI output of the receiver (DVD & Satellite In/TV Out), but I'm not sure how best to accomplish this to maximize the video and audio performance of this system.

Options I could see are listed below:

1. Buy 3 cables: 2 DVI -- HDMI cables Satellite & TV to receiver + 1 DVI -- DVI for DVD to Receiver
2. Buy 3 Component cables (for video) + 3 optical cables
3. Same as #1, except buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor so I can still use my DVI -- DVI cable.

As a follow-up question, I read that HDMI transmits digital and audio signals, but how does DVI fit into the equation? Does it still transmit both, or is it audio only?

I'm really lost at the moment and I'd love to hear your advice. Thanks for your help!

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
dvi doesn't carry audio, so you need audio cables as well to connect everything to receiver. You're correct in what you laid out. If you had all hdmi connections you would need only 3 cables, since you don't you need 6 cables. 3 audio 3 video. optical cables for audio is fine.

option 1 and 3 would also need optical cables for audio.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Did you mistype that you have an RX-V2600? The RX-V 2600 does have HDMI, while the older RX-V2500 does not.

C

cdye

Enthusiast
Oops. . . you are correct, Jaxvon. I do have the RX-V2600 and it is only missing the DVI inputs/outputs.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
cdye said:
Oops. . . you are correct, Jaxvon. I do have the RX-V2600 and it is only missing the DVI inputs/outputs.
DVI is just HDMI without sound, and there are a ton of DVI to HDMI cables available should you need to go that route to get top-notch video signals.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis